News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-12, 12:53 PM

has everyone been playing defense better since RJ left?

Blair a bit, Bonner more, Neal too. the guys who wouldn't play defense much before just seem to play more than they did, especially last night vs. Dallas.

just a random observation and we'll have to keep seeing the games if it continues, but i can't help but notice that since Jefferson left
Old 03-24-12, 01:04 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Pretty small sample so far. And last night's game may skew things a bit.
I don't think three days off hurt, either.

A couple weeks, and we should have a better idea.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-24-12, 01:11 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Small sample, indeed. But it looks as if SJax is playing the Mario Elie role from the first Spur championship.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-24-12, 02:26 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

They have been rejuvinated since the trade. Don't really know how to explain it, it could be partially due to RJ's departure. Whatever it is, I like it!
Old 03-24-12, 02:50 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

It started happening before the trade. Over the last 10 games the Spurs have held opponents to 44.1% FG percentage, 5th in the league over that time.
Old 03-24-12, 04:42 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttsR4rebounding View Post
It started happening before the trade. Over the last 10 games the Spurs have held opponents to 44.1% FG percentage, 5th in the league over that time.
So maybe it's just the natural progression of working together over the course of months.

Whatever the reason, more defense gives more hope.
Old 03-24-12, 05:55 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
Blair a bit, Bonner more, Neal too. the guys who wouldn't play defense much before just seem to play more than they did, especially last night vs. Dallas.

just a random observation and we'll have to keep seeing the games if it continues, but i can't help but notice that since Jefferson left
Bonner's been solid this year after his slow start. Obviously, solid is relative to him and bad defense. He's definitely been the 3rd best big, prior to the recent moves.

Neal, ehhh. He's trying more now that he's in better shape.

I think the big difference is Pop trusting Green and Leonard more. And Leonard is just becoming better and better. Then add on the extra layer and motivation of the recent moves.

To quote Larry David: "pretty, pretty, pretty... good"

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 03-24-12, 06:11 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Will Kawhi hit the rookie "wall"?
Old 03-24-12, 06:21 PM
SR Team Goof

IMO, I think SJax's first game back as a Spur against Dallas and how POP matched him defensively against Nowitzki kind of set the tone for the added enthusiasm by the Spurs players.
Old 03-24-12, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
he hasn't really played all out the whole season. there were stretches where Pop didn't play him in favor of Green (and we had Manu/RJ/TP there). right now he's playing a lot, but i don't think he'll hit a rookie wall. i'd watch for a sophomore slump
Old 03-24-12, 06:34 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
He has already. Or he at least experienced a bout with some of it. That's the few weeks where he didn't play a lot and then looked a little out of it when he did play.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 03-25-12, 07:59 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

Since we are attributing stuff to RJ, I think my food tastes better since RJ left.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 03-25-12, 09:27 AM
The Master Baiter

I think butts is right, it started before RJ left. I think it may be because we now have some wing guys that don't let their man get by so easily. Before, it was a conga line to the paint where Timmy can't block much anymore.
Old 03-25-12, 02:41 PM
Herman Cain of the board

RJ played a lot of minutes. I think giving those minutes to others has made them better because they play more and get into a better flow too.(Kawhi and Danny) Also RJ is not a good passer so the ball movement is better with him gone. SJax can play 2 and 3 and in Pop's small ball the 4 spot. When RJ played the small ball 4 he sucked. Can't play him at two either. They are more versatile with SJax.It amazes me how so many have joined the SJax bandwagon. Do people watch other NBA games or just Spurs games?
Old 03-25-12, 08:24 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I think the Spurs have more energy with Sjax and w/o RJ.

They are opposites in terms of temperament. So this is not surprising. It is on both offense and defense.
Old 03-26-12, 04:44 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The team defense is rising. In b2b2b we didn't concede more than 86 points.
Old 03-26-12, 07:54 AM

The defense in the last 3 games has been tremendous. We have so many long, active players now who really want to get after it.
Old 03-26-12, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
The defense in the last 3 games has been tremendous. We have so many long, active players now who really want to get after it.
The way the team is playing and constituted now it is the perfect foil for Miami.

Lebron/Jackson
Wade/Leonard
Bosh/Tim

You have Green, Parker, Gino who can shoot passing lanes
You have Diaw/splitter for relief and they can get back on transition D

I hope we see a lot of

Old 03-26-12, 01:27 PM

It's crazy that we went YEARS without a guy who could really guard big fowards. Then we got RJ who could do ok but played like he was awaking from a coma every tipoff.

And now we've got a host of legitimate strong defensive players in the 6'7" and above category.
Old 03-26-12, 05:02 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
The team defense is rising. In b2b2b we didn't concede more than 86 points.
Well, except for a third of the games...

But 87 points is still pretty darn good. Keep 'em under 90, and takes your chances.
Old 03-26-12, 07:25 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I think even a blind and deaf person could tell things are better without RJ!!!
Old 03-26-12, 08:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Playing good D is very tiring. Now we have several that can be interchanged there by keeping fresh players on the floor at all times.
Old 03-26-12, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
Playing good D is very tiring. Now we have several that can be interchanged there by keeping fresh players on the floor at all times.
we played good D before we got Diaw, after we got SJax those few games. the difference is now we got legit wing players who play good man defense, unlike RJ who needed help constantly. to steal one of Rodney's images on the SR Facebook page:

Old 03-26-12, 11:06 PM
The Master Baiter

There's an SR Facebook page?
Old 03-26-12, 11:18 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
we played good D before we got Diaw, after we got SJax those few games. the difference is now we got legit wing players who play good man defense, unlike RJ who needed help constantly. to steal one of Rodney's images on the SR Facebook page:

I thought SJax was buried on the bench with injuries and never played on the floor with Milwaukee????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????
Old 03-26-12, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
There's an SR Facebook page?
yessir

https://www.facebook.com/groups/18672784824/