SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   has everyone been playing defense better since RJ left? (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/115214-has-everyone-been-playing-defense-better-since-rj-left.html)

Jose_TheGenius 03-24-12 12:53 PM

has everyone been playing defense better since RJ left?

Blair a bit, Bonner more, Neal too. the guys who wouldn't play defense much before just seem to play more than they did, especially last night vs. Dallas.

just a random observation and we'll have to keep seeing the games if it continues, but i can't help but notice that since Jefferson left

katyspursfan 03-24-12 01:04 PM

Pretty small sample so far. And last night's game may skew things a bit.
I don't think three days off hurt, either.

A couple weeks, and we should have a better idea.

mckennaspur1 03-24-12 01:11 PM

Small sample, indeed. But it looks as if SJax is playing the Mario Elie role from the first Spur championship.

esparzar1 03-24-12 02:26 PM

They have been rejuvinated since the trade. Don't really know how to explain it, it could be partially due to RJ's departure. Whatever it is, I like it!

buttsR4rebounding 03-24-12 02:50 PM

It started happening before the trade. Over the last 10 games the Spurs have held opponents to 44.1% FG percentage, 5th in the league over that time.

katyspursfan 03-24-12 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttsR4rebounding (Post 1269972)
It started happening before the trade. Over the last 10 games the Spurs have held opponents to 44.1% FG percentage, 5th in the league over that time.

So maybe it's just the natural progression of working together over the course of months.

Whatever the reason, more defense gives more hope.

Grego 03-24-12 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1269961)
Blair a bit, Bonner more, Neal too. the guys who wouldn't play defense much before just seem to play more than they did, especially last night vs. Dallas.

just a random observation and we'll have to keep seeing the games if it continues, but i can't help but notice that since Jefferson left

Bonner's been solid this year after his slow start. Obviously, solid is relative to him and bad defense. He's definitely been the 3rd best big, prior to the recent moves.

Neal, ehhh. He's trying more now that he's in better shape.

I think the big difference is Pop trusting Green and Leonard more. And Leonard is just becoming better and better. Then add on the extra layer and motivation of the recent moves.

To quote Larry David: "pretty, pretty, pretty... good"

mckennaspur1 03-24-12 06:11 PM

Will Kawhi hit the rookie "wall"?

alh1020 03-24-12 06:21 PM

IMO, I think SJax's first game back as a Spur against Dallas and how POP matched him defensively against Nowitzki kind of set the tone for the added enthusiasm by the Spurs players.

Jose_TheGenius 03-24-12 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 (Post 1269999)

he hasn't really played all out the whole season. there were stretches where Pop didn't play him in favor of Green (and we had Manu/RJ/TP there). right now he's playing a lot, but i don't think he'll hit a rookie wall. i'd watch for a sophomore slump

Grego 03-24-12 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 (Post 1269999)

He has already. Or he at least experienced a bout with some of it. That's the few weeks where he didn't play a lot and then looked a little out of it when he did play.

dark21horse 03-25-12 07:59 AM

Since we are attributing stuff to RJ, I think my food tastes better since RJ left.

Uwe Blab 03-25-12 09:27 AM

I think butts is right, it started before RJ left. I think it may be because we now have some wing guys that don't let their man get by so easily. Before, it was a conga line to the paint where Timmy can't block much anymore.

WILLTHETHRILL 03-25-12 02:41 PM

RJ played a lot of minutes. I think giving those minutes to others has made them better because they play more and get into a better flow too.(Kawhi and Danny) Also RJ is not a good passer so the ball movement is better with him gone. SJax can play 2 and 3 and in Pop's small ball the 4 spot. When RJ played the small ball 4 he sucked. Can't play him at two either. They are more versatile with SJax.It amazes me how so many have joined the SJax bandwagon. Do people watch other NBA games or just Spurs games?

grizzly_bexar 03-25-12 08:24 PM

I think the Spurs have more energy with Sjax and w/o RJ.

They are opposites in terms of temperament. So this is not surprising. It is on both offense and defense.

tuncaboylu 03-26-12 04:44 AM

The team defense is rising. In b2b2b we didn't concede more than 86 points.

grizzly_bexar 03-26-12 07:54 AM

The defense in the last 3 games has been tremendous. We have so many long, active players now who really want to get after it.

Rodny21a 03-26-12 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar (Post 1270227)
The defense in the last 3 games has been tremendous. We have so many long, active players now who really want to get after it.

The way the team is playing and constituted now it is the perfect foil for Miami.

Lebron/Jackson
Wade/Leonard
Bosh/Tim

You have Green, Parker, Gino who can shoot passing lanes
You have Diaw/splitter for relief and they can get back on transition D

I hope we see a lot of

http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/i...b8d5ccb7/l.jpg

grizzly_bexar 03-26-12 01:27 PM

It's crazy that we went YEARS without a guy who could really guard big fowards. Then we got RJ who could do ok but played like he was awaking from a coma every tipoff.

And now we've got a host of legitimate strong defensive players in the 6'7" and above category.

katyspursfan 03-26-12 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuncaboylu (Post 1270218)
The team defense is rising. In b2b2b we didn't concede more than 86 points.

Well, except for a third of the games...

But 87 points is still pretty darn good. Keep 'em under 90, and takes your chances.

WILLTHETHRILL 03-26-12 07:25 PM

I think even a blind and deaf person could tell things are better without RJ!!!

clovisnmspurfan 03-26-12 08:34 PM

Playing good D is very tiring. Now we have several that can be interchanged there by keeping fresh players on the floor at all times.

Jose_TheGenius 03-26-12 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan (Post 1270313)
Playing good D is very tiring. Now we have several that can be interchanged there by keeping fresh players on the floor at all times.

we played good D before we got Diaw, after we got SJax those few games. the difference is now we got legit wing players who play good man defense, unlike RJ who needed help constantly. to steal one of Rodney's images on the SR Facebook page:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...29415155_n.jpg

Uwe Blab 03-26-12 11:06 PM

There's an SR Facebook page?

WILLTHETHRILL 03-26-12 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1270326)
we played good D before we got Diaw, after we got SJax those few games. the difference is now we got legit wing players who play good man defense, unlike RJ who needed help constantly. to steal one of Rodney's images on the SR Facebook page:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...29415155_n.jpg

I thought SJax was buried on the bench with injuries and never played on the floor with Milwaukee????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????

Jose_TheGenius 03-26-12 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1270334)
There's an SR Facebook page?

yessir

https://www.facebook.com/groups/18672784824/