News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-12, 02:15 PM

Spurs Pushing To Get Boris Diaw

The San Antonio Spurs have emerged as frontrunners to sign forward Boris Diaw should he clear waivers, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Diaw agreed to a buyout with the Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday, and needs to go unclaimed by NBA teams to become a free agent. The deadline for signing free agents to be eligible for the playoffs is Friday, which is when Diaw is expected to pass through waivers.

Spurs pushing to get Boris Diaw before deadline - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
Old 03-21-12, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

yes, please.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-21-12, 02:21 PM
The Master Baiter

Wow, reading that article doesn't lead me to believe he would be any kind of a defensive asset. But still, I don't mind getting him. I think people here are expecting him to be able to guard anyone from Dwight Howard to Duane Wade. Yes, I spelled Wade's name correctly. Don't get me started on misspelled names...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-21-12, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Wow, reading that article doesn't lead me to believe he would be any kind of a defensive asset. But still, I don't mind getting him. I think people here are expecting him to be able to guard anyone from Dwight Howard to Duane Wade. Yes, I spelled Wade's name correctly. Don't get me started on misspelled names...
defensively (to me anyway) he's better than Bonner and Blair. i'm banking on his offensive prowess being more of an asset and helps us dissect defenses and give us mismatches in our favor
Old 03-21-12, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
defensively (to me anyway) he's better than Bonner and Blair. i'm banking on his offensive prowess being more of an asset and helps us dissect defenses and give us mismatches in our favor

Don't know what Uwe Blab's panties in a bunch about Diaw. Is he a contrarian by nature? It's almost like he only started watching the NBA last week or something. What ever the case maybe he seem not to have witnessed Diaw playing at all. Let alone during the 2006 season when he more than effectively replaced Amare Soutdemire. He also seems to want to fly directly in the face of the opinions of the Spurs Organization and that of their MVP Tony Paker who knows Diaw better than anybody let alone him. Its all good for a few chuckles reading his posts.
Old 03-21-12, 02:31 PM
The Master Baiter

We'll see. I just don't remember him stopping anyone with the Suns, and I haven't really seen him play since. Call me skeptical. But then again, I said the Spurs weren't even sniffing at Sjax and lo and behold...
Old 03-21-12, 02:34 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny21a View Post
Don't know what Uwe Blab's panties in a bunch about Diaw. Is he a contrarian by nature? It's almost like he only started watching the NBA last week or something. What ever the case maybe he seem not to have witnessed Diaw playing at all. Let alone during the 2006 season when he more than effectively replaced Amare Soutdemire. He also seems to want to fly directly in the face of the opinions of the Spurs Organization and that of their MVP Tony Paker who knows Diaw better than anybody let alone him. Its all good for a few chuckles reading his posts.
Who are you? Are you lost?
Old 03-21-12, 02:40 PM
The Master Baiter

The reason I'm questioning is because people have been going on about needing a big for defensive reasons. Then, the possibility of Diaw came around and people started preaching we needed a big, get Diaw. My questions were, is Diaw really a big at 6'8" and I thought people wanted a more defensive oriented big? He can possibly guard bigs and he's done it before, but I don't remember him doing it well. I know the guy can play offense. But if you want a big for defensive presence, why is everyone acting like Diaw is that guy?
Old 03-21-12, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Who are you? Are you lost?
You seem to be

Quote:
when all anybody has ever contended is

Quote:
some how you process this information and spit out

this response..

again its all good for chuckles....
Old 03-21-12, 02:41 PM
SpursReport Rookie

We need to sign Diaw and Mills asap, even little contribution from them both would be a good asset to the team for rest of regular season and in the playoffs....those were the only 2 I was hoping the Spurs would go for even after rumors of them also thinking about Hickson, Turiaf, A Carter, and Fisher....
Old 03-21-12, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
The reason I'm questioning is because people have been going on about needing a big for defensive reasons. Then, the possibility of Diaw came around and people started preaching we needed a big, get Diaw. My questions were, is Diaw really a big at 6'8" and I thought people wanted a more defensive oriented big? He can possibly guard bigs and he's done it before, but I don't remember him doing it well. I know the guy can play offense. But if you want a big for defensive presence, why is everyone acting like Diaw is that guy?

LOLZ

Ok now that I've chuckled.

he is a guy who can potentially

A. start along tim who can hit an open thirteen foot jumper or pass to an open wing effectively... things that Blair cannot do....

B. He can come off the bench allowing Bonner to start along side Tim and openen up the floor..and statistically when Bonner is in the lineup with Duncan its a better defensive lineup and a whole lot better offensive lineup(he has been the king of plus minus for a while)

C. If he comes off the Bench He can play along side Splitter(a seven footer and a dam good defensive player) and spread the floor for him or pass to him...

D. He can come off the bench along with Bonner allowing Splitter(see above) to start along side Tim Duncan and you have the twin towers 2.0 and you eliminate the case of having the TURD TOWERS (blair and bonner) on the floor at all..

I hope this clears some thing up for you...

that is all
Old 03-21-12, 02:51 PM

Quote:
we don't need a big man for defense. people who say that haven't watched Splitter play. you want a frontcourt who can defend and score: Splitter/Duncan.

i'm to the point of believingthe people begging for a defensive big man are just delusional. you don't need a defensive big man off the bench.

the reason Bonner and Blair aren't good together off the bench isn't because they don't play defense (even though they don't), it's because we can't score with them. you're talking about Bonner having his guy stay on him (no double team off of him) and guys playing off of Blair and daring our guys to shoot. when you have a Diaw in there with Bonner (assuming Bonner plays as a big and Blair gets the 5th big spot), you got someone who can create his own shot and has a mid range shot. he can also pick and roll with anyone or be the one who's handling the ball in the P&R. Blair's one dimensional offense is what makes it hard for him to be alongside anyone not named Duncan and that's the reason why he's the most expendable and the reason he's starting: because the other 2 guys off the bench right now are balancing the team and Blair can get bailed out by 4 other good players.

if Bonner/Blair could be able to score consistently together and not defend, don't hesitate to think Pop wouldn't start Splitter. there's not a team out there who has a defensive juggernaut come off the bench, it's always a balanced effort with the starters and the bench being the offensive options.
Old 03-21-12, 02:57 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Silas couldn't get him to do what he wanted him to but maybe he has a French arrogance that responds only to being *****ed at in French by Tony or drinking wine with Pop.
Old 03-21-12, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Silas couldn't get him to do what he wanted him to but maybe he has a French arrogance that responds only to being *****ed at in French by Tony or drinking wine with Pop.
it's become the norm of good players not being motivated by being traded to bad teams. as good as Silas is a coach, he can't get anything out of that team. it's pretty hard to get a team motivated when you don't have a guy to be "the guy" on a nightly basis and contend
Old 03-21-12, 03:01 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
I agree with you, whatever Diaw's defensive liabilities are, I'm sure POP and RC have a remedy for it. Besides, Diaw can handle the ball and hit the 3's which I'm sure the FO like to see. And he'll probably work his ass off in hopes to find a home in SA with his bud, Tony. Lastly, just went out to the Bobcats website and they've dropped Diaw's bio from the site. Bye bye Boris.
Old 03-21-12, 03:04 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
we don't need a big man for defense. people who say that haven't watched Splitter play. you want a frontcourt who can defend and score: Splitter/Duncan.

i'm to the point of believingthe people begging for a defensive big man are just delusional. you don't need a defensive big man off the bench.

the reason Bonner and Blair aren't good together off the bench isn't because they don't play defense (even though they don't), it's because we can't score with them. you're talking about Bonner having his guy stay on him (no double team off of him) and guys playing off of Blair and daring our guys to shoot. when you have a Diaw in there with Bonner (assuming Bonner plays as a big and Blair gets the 5th big spot), you got someone who can create his own shot and has a mid range shot. he can also pick and roll with anyone or be the one who's handling the ball in the P&R. Blair's one dimensional offense is what makes it hard for him to be alongside anyone not named Duncan and that's the reason why he's the most expendable and the reason he's starting: because the other 2 guys off the bench right now are balancing the team and Blair can get bailed out by 4 other good players.

if Bonner/Blair could be able to score consistently together and not defend, don't hesitate to think Pop wouldn't start Splitter. there's not a team out there who has a defensive juggernaut come off the bench, it's always a balanced effort with the starters and the bench being the offensive options.
I've always said that we don't need another big this year after Splitter finally took off and you know that. In fact, rebounding is really the Spurs problem, and the combo of Jackson, Kawhi and possibly Diaw could make up for some of that. I'm not disputing his offensive assets.
Old 03-21-12, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I've always said that we don't need another big this year after Splitter finally took off and you know that. In fact, rebounding is really the Spurs problem, and the combo of Jackson, Kawhi and possibly Diaw could make up for some of that. I'm not disputing his offensive assets.
that wasn't aimed at you Uwe it's just that i know people still want a defensive big man and when a 7 footer gets released or is available, you always here a "_____ anybody?" thread
Old 03-21-12, 03:11 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
LOLZ

Ok now that I've chuckled.

he is a guy who can potentially

A. start along tim who can hit an open thirteen foot jumper or pass to an open wing effectively... things that Blair cannot do....

B. He can come off the bench allowing Bonner to start along side Tim and openen up the floor..and statistically when Bonner is in the lineup with Duncan its a better defensive lineup and a whole lot better offensive lineup(he has been the king of plus minus for a while)

C. If he comes off the Bench He can play along side Splitter(a seven footer and a dam good defensive player) and spread the floor for him or pass to him...

D. He can come off the bench along with Bonner allowing Splitter(see above) to start along side Tim Duncan and you have the twin towers 2.0 and you eliminate the case of having the TURD TOWERS (blair and bonner) on the floor at all..

I hope this clears some thing up for you...

that is all
You're completely missing my point. I'm aware of the benefits, offensively. But wasn't it you in another thread who, after I questioned calling him a "big" much less a defensive guy, posted jpegs of him guarding Tim implying that he was 6'11", and then said that ESPN is wrong when they post stats of the players after I showed you that he was in fact 6'8"?
Old 03-21-12, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Regulator

I think Boris would be a very nice fit here...first any player that comes over to the Spurs will play defense. Pop will make sure of that, but what I like is that he can spread the floor with Tim/Splitter that will help with teams that have a shot blocker. Second if we go smallball like pop like to do, Boris really help us there....and last which really doesn't matter much...Every time Parker talks french to the refs, he can translate what French words he said to the bench
Old 03-21-12, 03:25 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Sounds Like all of yall are on Diaw's jockstrap..... o.O!
Old 03-21-12, 03:26 PM
Banned

[yt][/yt]

its Uwe Blabarino
Old 03-21-12, 03:28 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Diaw can pass. Passing big men are not something you find growing on trees in the NBA.
Old 03-21-12, 03:34 PM
Banned

Old 03-21-12, 03:35 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
[yt][/yt]

its Uwe Blabarino
That's funny. I used to love that show. But if that's all you got then I guess you've given up.
Old 03-21-12, 03:37 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Ok, you ARE confused. What makes you think I'm defending Blair in anyway? I've already said I want Diaw on this team. You seriously do not read posts, do you?
Old 03-21-12, 03:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's funny. I used to love that show. But if that's all you got then I guess you've given up.
given up on what exactly...? proving Diaw is taller than Blair.. Proving he is a "big" proving what? your so cute...

I just have to wait for him to be signed... and you'll see that he is a big he is a six nine + guy with long arms and can play the power forward position... what is your malfunction...?
Old 03-21-12, 03:48 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
given up on what exactly...? proving Diaw is taller than Blair.. Proving he is a "big" proving what? your so cute...

I just have to wait for him to be signed... and you'll see that he is a big he is a six nine + guy with long arms and can play the power forward position... what is your malfunction...?
He's listed 6'8" everywhere, which means he's probably closer to 6'6". But either way. I've never even mentioned Blair. I know Blair is 6'5". I couldn't care less about Blair. If Diaw signs, he'll play and play well, but underwhelm us on defense. That's all I'm saying. You started, this remember?
Old 03-21-12, 03:54 PM

ok Rodney & Uwe, you must stop fighting. we're all Spurs fans that love this team!

but more important, if we win the title, i'm going to San Antonio and i'm hoping both of you will lift me upon your shoulders in victory!
Old 03-21-12, 03:57 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I think he would be a fine addition here, but I also question the defensive side of things.

Although I guess the best way to think about it is he wouldn't even have to be an average defender to be better than Blair or Bonner. Though at least Bonner plays hard and smart.
Old 03-21-12, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
I think he would be a fine addition here, but I also question the defensive side of things.

Although I guess the best way to think about it is he wouldn't even have to be an average defender to be better than Blair or Bonner. Though at least Bonner plays hard and smart.
AND Grizz has jokes!

j/k Grizz! (btw hope you weren't effected by the weather on Monday!)
Old 03-21-12, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
He's listed 6'8" everywhere, which means he's probably closer to 6'6". But either way. I've never even mentioned Blair. I know Blair is 6'5". I couldn't care less about Blair. If Diaw signs, he'll play and play well, but underwhelm us on defense. That's all I'm saying. You started, this remember?
Fight...? Lols this guy cant admit that he is wrong...

Not much of a fight... its a laugh

Quote:
Am I mistaken, or is Diaw only 6'8"? Why does everyone keep calling him a big?

Last edited by Rodny21a; 03-21-12 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-21-12, 04:08 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
ok Rodney & Uwe, you must stop fighting. we're all Spurs fans that love this team!

but more important, if we win the title, i'm going to San Antonio and i'm hoping both of you will lift me upon your shoulders in victory!
I'm not fighting.

For whatever reason, he keeps bugging me. Maybe I need to be more concise in my posts.
Old 03-21-12, 04:09 PM
SpursReport Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdm55 View Post

Just want someone that can be Reliable in the playoffs...Bonner has been very bad the last couple years and we need that one guy that can spread the floor.
Old 03-21-12, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not fighting.

For whatever reason, he keeps bugging me. Maybe I need to be more concise in my posts.
Pretty concise her my confused chum

Quote:
Am I mistaken, or is Diaw only 6'8"? Why does everyone keep calling him a big?
Old 03-21-12, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdm55 View Post
I laughed out loud when I read this. Thanks!
Old 03-21-12, 04:15 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Fight...? Lols this guy cant admit that he is wrong...

Not much of a fight... its a laugh

Pictures prove nothing. I guess Gerald Wallace is shorter than all of them.
Old 03-21-12, 04:17 PM
Banned

Your Just plain weird dude... Lovely person im sure...
Old 03-21-12, 04:21 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Your Just plain weird dude... Lovely person im sure...
Annnnd that's game. Good try though.
Old 03-21-12, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Annnnd that's game. Good try though.
really how has this guy been allowed to roam free here... seriously...

You're thirty seven... really....wow
Old 03-21-12, 04:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

He adds another dimension to the team and also provides insurance in case of injuries. Can't hurt since we don't to give up anything for him.
Old 03-21-12, 06:06 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
He adds another dimension to the team
oh, he's gonna add some Dimensions alright!!!

giggity.
Old 03-21-12, 06:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Player profile from hoopshype.com
Long arms... Excellent athleticism... Good defender... Can play all five positions... Good passer... Very unselfish... Great knowledge of the game... Not a good shooter... Bad from the foul line... Has lots of up and downs... Not in top shape.
I'm not sure how old this profile is, but given the jibe about his weight, it isn't from his Phoenix days.

I was really into this move until I googled his name and auto complete chose "fat" and "weight" as the top two guesses as to what I was typing. Not good. Surfing the google a little more and I keep on running up against "apathetic", "lazy", "lacks heart".

I'll say that i was much more enthusiastic about making this move until I dug a little deeper. There are some "concerns" here.
Old 03-21-12, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
I was really into this move until I googled his name and auto complete chose "fat" and "weight" as the top two guesses as to what I was typing. Not good. Surfing the google a little more and I keep on running up against "apathetic", "lazy", "lacks heart".
ok so are we still talking about Boris Diaw or this guy when he gets benched or laughs when he's called for a foul?

Old 03-21-12, 06:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

When I google DJ, I get twitter, ACL, and rap as the top three options. As for adjectives that describe him, I apathetic, lazy, and lacking heart aren't what come to mind. For me, DJ's problems can be explained in one word: IMMATURE. Remember that the first time he was legally able to walk into a bar was 11 months ago. I know we are in the internet age where everything is now, now, now, but I'm willing to be a little more patient before I am ready to toss him in the trash.
Old 03-21-12, 06:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Continuing, my growing hesitation with Diaw comes from the fact that his weaknesses: apathy, non-aggressiveness, and unwillingness to take open shots, are the types of things that would really piss Pop off. Hoopshype calls him a poor shooter, I might be more inclined to call him a mediocre shooter, and one thing I've noticed about Pop's system is his stress on efficient shooting. Can Diaw find a niche in that system?
Old 03-21-12, 08:08 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Uwe... I live in Phoenix and have seen Diaw out at night clubs in the past. I am 6'4" and he has a minimum 4 inches on me. And your argument for him being a defensive liability is weak because you seem to forget that he played for Coach Mike D who never demanded defense from his players. I have seen Diaw live plenty of times and he is a much better defender than Blair or Bonner. And believe it or not sometimes he even did a decent job on Duncan in the past. This is a no-brainer pickup for SA... Especially, as Jose has mentioned, if it means more time for a Splitter/Duncan combo. It seems like you like to argue just for the sake of arguing.
Old 03-21-12, 09:03 PM
The Master Baiter

OK, so he's 6 foot 8. Not exactly "big" material. But I'm not the only one with questions about his defense. I watched all those games against the Spurs and didn't see anything special. And what does it take to play defense? Effort and good conditioning. Both things that he has trouble with.

Look I want to see him in a Spurs uniform because offensively he just gives them a huge advantage , I just have concerns, and people may be expecting a little much from him.
Old 03-21-12, 09:21 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Uwe.... I am not saying Diaw is anything great but at this point I am neither a Bonner nor a Blair fan and I have had concerns with them all year... Bonner since birth and Blair ever since he started to think he is a offensive player. Neither can play defense so I don't see how Diaw cant hurt us anymore than the Double B's. I can understand your effort concerns but that has a lot to do with his crappy coaches (Minus Larry Brown... Who Diaw actually played well for). I think it's a different ball game with having TP and Pop on his case. Also Diaw's arms are freakishly long so has helped make up for his height defending guys bigger than him. He does suck at rebounding though....
Old 03-21-12, 09:38 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

when ur team sucks so much, and no player is buying into the system, everyone is trying to ball 1-on-1 and get their highlights, maybe you get tired of working hard.
Old 03-22-12, 12:20 AM
SpursReport Team Member

are people seriously against getting this guy? he is going to replace MATT BONNER on the rotation!! AND he is going to be cheap, its a low risk, decently high reward move IMO