News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-12, 03:12 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Big Man Buyout That Could Put Spurs In The Finals (if only it ever went down)

If the league-owned Hornets can't find a workable Chris Kaman trade before the March 15 deadline, Kaman would have about a week to secure a buyout and thus be able to sign with another team.

Miami, Boston, Dallas, Houston and Golden State would all have serious interest if Kaman actually becomes available as a free agent -- as surely would other teams -- but sources say that the Hornets have been telling teams that Kaman will not get a buyout if New Orleans can't find a trade for him.

Weekend Dime -- Half a century later, Wilt's 100 stands tallest - ESPN
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-03-12, 10:40 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

This is the one guy I think can help the Spurs....

I hope we get him....
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-03-12, 10:53 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

So they are struggling to trade him (I mean, what would we offer, James Anderson? weak.), and they are saying they wouldn't buy out his contract (Stern doesn't care if they suck, he doesn't want to spend money).

IF they do buy out his contract, they list 5 suitors, and we are not one. How is this spun as being a potential snag for the Spurs?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to snag him, think he'd be a huge addition and would make us better. I don't think it comes close to happening though.
Old 03-03-12, 11:04 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I have been putting him in my trades for several years now. I was thinking about posting something similar about "how can we get this guy." But the more I thought about it, the more I thought we are better off staying where we are.

How would Kaman mesh with TP, Ginobili, and Splitter?

One of the reasons I think Tony is playing so well this season is that he doesn't dribble the ball down the court and dump it in to Tim Duncan anymore. Tony is the creator. The offense (for only the 2nd time in Tony's career) is finally running through him.

Would that change if Kaman came on board? Would Kaman demand the ball, or would he just be a serious rebounding and defensive presence?

I would love to have him, but my sense is that Pop isn't going to make any trades because chemistry is more important than anything else right now.

I don't think we should read anything in to our loss against the Bulls. Splitter was out of sorts from being injured, No Ginobili, and no Leonard had a big impact on that game. I don't think we are in as desperate need of a big man as everyone else does.

But, I would still love to have Kaman. I think he is very underrated.
Old 03-03-12, 11:11 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't think Kaman would demand the ball, in fact, I think he would fit well with Tony's playmaking. I've been in New Orleans since last August, and so I've seen more Hornets ball than I would have ever wanted. Kaman is playing with a bunch of scrubs there, and he doesn't balk and throw fits. He hangs out in the paint and in that 15-18 ft range, and just drains jumpers all night. He's not scoring 20 a night, more like 10 to 14 a night, consistently with good shooting.

With him and Timmy on the court, one could play the basket while they other could play the key, spread out and open the court for TP and Manu. Either can drain mid range shots (Kaman would probably do a little better) and both can rebound.

With him and Splitter on the court, you probably let Tiago play the basket and Kaman spread the floor. Kaman isn't a head case, he isn't looking to be a #1 go-to, just on a good team.
Old 03-03-12, 11:30 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think some lousy team pony's up the cash and adds him before we can.
Old 03-03-12, 11:35 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I'd be amazed if Kaman gets to San Antonio this year. But that doesn't mean the Spurs would be better off without him. He could fit very nicely with what the Spurs are doing.

Like last year, the Spurs are playing great regular season ball. But the blowout losses to the Bulls and Heat suggest that SA is set up to take a beating in the playoffs from any team that moves the ball well and has a powerful inside presence.
Old 03-03-12, 11:43 AM
The Master Baiter

Call me skeptical, but is Kaman REALLY a defensive presence? They don't need his offense.

Either way, not happening.
Old 03-03-12, 11:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
If the league-owned Hornets can't find a workable Chris Kaman trade before the March 15 deadline, Kaman would have about a week to secure a buyout and thus be able to sign with another team.

Miami, Boston, Dallas, Houston and Golden State would all have serious interest if Kaman actually becomes available as a free agent -- as surely would other teams -- but sources say that the Hornets have been telling teams that Kaman will not get a buyout if New Orleans can't find a trade for him.

Weekend Dime -- Half a century later, Wilt's 100 stands tallest - ESPN

If NO doesn't start budging on their trade demands, they will get nothing. It would be just plain stupid to keep him and not try to buy him out if they don't envision resigning him after the year is up (or before). After the trade deadline, this would be their last chance in trying to save some money in buying him out for a little less than what they owe him. Then again, I guess they could keep him and try and sign and trade after the season, but don't see many more suitors especially with Kaman's age.

Now on the Spurs side,depending on Kaman's mindset (has been known to be a little "different"), I don't see him going to the Spurs. I could easily see him go for cheap to Miami, Boston, or Dallas unfortunately.

Last edited by montgod; 03-03-12 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-03-12, 12:01 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

aww I thought it was going to be about Scola.

Old 03-03-12, 01:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Frankly, I don't understand why New Orleans doesn't try to re-sign the guy. He is clearly out performing Okafor.
Old 03-03-12, 01:23 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Frankly, I don't understand why New Orleans doesn't try to re-sign the guy. He is clearly out performing Okafor.
Very true. I would try to move Okafor before moving Kaman not only on Kaman's play but because Okafor is still owed a ton of money.
Old 03-03-12, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Call me skeptical, but is Kaman REALLY a defensive presence? They don't need his offense.

Either way, not happening.
yeah same thinking here. i don't think he goes to Golden State either. he's already playing on a bad team, why go there again?

hell i wouldn't be surprised if he returns to the Clippers for cheap either. the only way Kaman comes here is if he thinks we're truly the favorites in the West and he would have to do little to nothing to put us over the top (that's with the thinking he wants to win only).

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
easier to contract. they're shopping Okafor too, so why not just get rid of both of them? it would be easier to contract a team filled with scrubs than a team with 2+ elite players.
Old 03-03-12, 03:16 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

New Orleans won't resign anybody right now because Stern wants to clear out as much salary as he can for the new owners (whoever that might be)and Stern's not interested in making good basketball decisions for that team.

I'd hate to be a Hornets fan, they're getting the raw end of every deal that goes down...
Old 03-03-12, 05:12 PM
2012 Eastern Conference Champion

How can we make it work?
If Stern doesn't care, then maybe we could send Jefferson, Blair and a First Round Draft pick.
Old 03-03-12, 06:16 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

.......not a fan of Kaman for the price....no thanks, I'd rather take our chances with Splitter. another fabulous thread started by Guapo
Old 03-03-12, 06:33 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Might sound stupid but I do hope the Spurs keep their future draft picks. They need more young talent.
Old 03-03-12, 10:00 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
I'd be amazed if Kaman gets to San Antonio this year. But that doesn't mean the Spurs would be better off without him. He could fit very nicely with what the Spurs are doing.

Like last year, the Spurs are playing great regular season ball. But the blowout losses to the Bulls and Heat suggest that SA is set up to take a beating in the playoffs from any team that moves the ball well and has a powerful inside presence.
That sums up the way I view it. Kaman would be an adequate backup inside presence that might be just enough to give a Spurs team that is great in the backcourt a shot at contending this year. But it is not likely this year and next season might be a different scenario where they need something different than Kaman depending on Tim's next season and if they make SF adjustments.
Old 03-03-12, 11:18 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

If it took a RJ/Blair & 1st round Pick I would do it...

Tiago/Kaman
Duncan/ Bonner
Leonard/Anderson
Manu/Green
TPark/TJ

That would be a very nice top 10 on the team and have the defense/ rebounding to go with some outside shooting and atlecthic wingmen...

I'd take Kaman over RJ & Blair to be honest.. Would NO do it? I don't know...
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 03-03-12, 11:28 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS View Post
If it took a RJ/Blair & 1st round Pick I would do it...

Tiago/Kaman
Duncan/ Bonner
Leonard/Anderson
Manu/Green
TPark/TJ

That would be a very nice top 10 on the team and have the defense/ rebounding to go with some outside shooting and atlecthic wingmen...

I'd take Kaman over RJ & Blair to be honest.. Would NO do it? I don't know...
Kaman off the bench?.............guy might be the 3rd best center in th West.
Old 03-04-12, 05:21 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Just remember Pop tried to trade for him once or twice before.
Old 03-04-12, 11:15 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Just remember Pop tried to trade for him once or twice before.
How do you know that?

Has anyone ever verified that, or was it rumors?