News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
  #1  
Old 02-23-12, 06:40 AM
tuncaboylu's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Turkiye
Posts: 667
J.J. Hickson

It seems that Kings won't use this guy too much this year and won't resign him next summer. Can we get him in exchange of Anderson + Cory Joseph? Since Hickson will be in his contract year, he can try to show up.
__________________
CHAMPIONS SPURS - MVP DUNCAN
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-23-12, 09:58 AM
Guille's Avatar
SpursReport 2010 Pick The Winner Champion
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Argentina
Posts: 2,172

I´m not sure he´ll be a contributor here.
__________________
My blog about series
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-12, 10:01 AM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,539

why don't we list every big man on every bench that isn't being used and suggest trading for them.

These guys aren't getting playing time because they suck

Hickson had 3 sucky years in Cleveland. If he can't produce on a sucky Cleveland team, and he can't produce on a sucky Sacramento team, why would he all of the sudden produce for the Spurs?

There are no savior big men out there for us. We just have to do with what we got.

In addition, there are no free agent big men we will get that will be better that what we have (or what we will get from Lorbek).
__________________
Austin Day is better than Nando De colo, Dejuan Blair, and Matt Bonner!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-12, 11:26 AM
spurduncan21's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: America
Posts: 1,967

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
why don't we list every big man on every bench that isn't being used and suggest trading for them.

These guys aren't getting playing time because they suck

Hickson had 3 sucky years in Cleveland. If he can't produce on a sucky Cleveland team, and he can't produce on a sucky Sacramento team, why would he all of the sudden produce for the Spurs?

There are no savior big men out there for us. We just have to do with what we got.

In addition, there are no free agent big men we will get that will be better that what we have (or what we will get from Lorbek).
Didn't Hickson play well with Lebron in what was LBJs last year in Cleveland?
__________________
“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising in every time we fall”

- Confucius
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-12, 11:26 AM
JuanCaca's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,480

hey choppsboy, not every bench player sucks...

just remember when jermaine oneal barely played, and then was traded to indiana...
__________________
The Spurs won because of Tim Duncan, a guy I could never break. I could talk trash to Patrick Ewing, get in David Robinsons face, get a rise out of Alonzo Mourning, but when I went at Tim hed look at me like he was bored and then say, Hey, Shaq, watch this shot right here off the glass. Shaquille O'Neal on Tim duncan.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-12, 12:37 PM
spurduncan21's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: America
Posts: 1,967

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
hey choppsboy, not every bench player sucks...

just remember when jermaine oneal barely played, and then was traded to indiana...
There are million examples to prove your point. Most recently, Jeremy Lin!!!
__________________
“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising in every time we fall”

- Confucius
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-12, 12:38 PM
TDFTW's Avatar
Manu's Bald Spot
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 85

Utah has Derrick Favors coming off the bench: your argument is invalid. [Edit]: Also, Tiago is coming off the bench for the Spurs... don't forget about him.

Seriously though, I can think of a number of bench guys (big and "small") who are game changers. And, depending on what system you're trying to run, there are plenty of guys at the very end of one team's bench that could be potential starters/sixth men on other teams (see: Alonzo Gee, Beno Udrih circa 2006-2009, James Anderson soon enough).

The Spurs are in a precarious position in that: they don't have too many tradeable assets for the teams with assets that we want, the Spurs are an organization that doesn't make poor trades, and the Spurs are so good that teams are hesitant to give them said pieces that could make them even better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-12, 12:52 PM
Jose_TheGenius's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,511

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
Didn't Hickson play well with Lebron in what was LBJs last year in Cleveland?
i'll agree with both. it seems people wanna plug a big into this rotation simply because he's:

very tall
very athletic
very good scorer
very good shooter
very good rebounder
very good defender

the problem is they aren't all of those things. heck they just do ONE of those things. we need an above average guy who does a little bit of those things or at least more than 2 of those (a shooter would be key along with some defense).

the Jeremy Lin argument doesn't play out until we get someone who got cut by 3 teams or so then we get him while our starting and 2nd string PG's go down. if the Knicks weren't so short at PG's, the kid wouldn't have played. the Knicks were in a desperate situation that we're not.

JJ Hickson can't shoot and he's not a good defender. he's one of those guys who can clean up messes if he's at the right place and time, but that's about it. he'd still stuck along with any of our bigs not named Duncan and you don't want the kid starting either.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-12, 05:24 PM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,539

Here is a list of the players that I am talking who have also shown up on these boards (over the years) as the answer to our problems (either at SF or a big)

JJ Hickson,
Vladimir Radmanovic
chris Wilcox
Tyrus Thomas
Kwame Brown
reggie Evans
James Jones
Travis Outlaw
Rasul butler
Maurice Evans.

I am not talking about rookies or 2nd year players who have never been given a chance. J. J. hickson has been given plenty of opportunities. there is a reason these players get traded, and there is a reason the teams they play on suck. . . . . . it is because these players suck and they are not the answer.

Favors, for example, hasn't had opportunities, hasn't ever started, hasn't been traded, so there is no comparison between my comments about JJ Hickson, and a guy like Favors.

Of course, Favors may turn into that guy in a couple of years. There is a reason he is still on the bench too.

I am also not talking about a guy like Jermaine O'Neil who was an 18 year old kid who got no playing time behind Rasheed Wallace. Hickson was a starter and he sucked.
__________________
Austin Day is better than Nando De colo, Dejuan Blair, and Matt Bonner!

Last edited by choppsboy; 02-23-12 at 05:27 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-23-12, 05:30 PM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,261

Sometimes it doesn't work out not because a guy sucks, but because a coach doesn't know how to use him, or because he's not as talented as the guy ahead of him.

If you're Sacramento you know DeMarcus Cousins is going to be better than Hickson, so there's no point putting Hickson above him in the rotation even if he might be better by a little right now. He's not the future.

He could work here. Has good mobility and I could see him pairing well with any of our current bigs.

Depends on the price. To me Cory Joseph is a serious asset we don't want to let go just for a cog in the rotation who we would have to pay significant money to re-sign.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-23-12, 06:03 PM
TDFTW's Avatar
Manu's Bald Spot
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 85

Like Chuck said: the last guy on the bench is better than the rest of the world. But I think you're right choppsboy. The guys listed aren't very "good". I would say Reggie Evans was leading the league in rebounds last season at Toronto.

I think Grizzly has it right, part of it is talent and part of it is the system that the player is put in. For example, Fabricio Oberto or... Matt Bonner, both those guys would be pine riders for most other teams. They aren't that talented when you compare them to the best of the league. But, when you have a skilled coach, skilled players, and a good system to incorporate specialists into a cohesive unit, that's when you can get guys like Radmanovich, Darko, or even Kwame (much less Bonnner)and get them to play well.

So, basically, we aren't going to acquire a Tyson Chandler from the "trash heap" and turn our system around. But, the Spurs can get a lot more out of "the trash" than other teams. As shown by this team, especially, the only reason our 12th man isn't putting up bigger numbers is because he's not getting time. Still, JJ Hickson would be useful to the Spurs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-23-12, 08:03 PM
parkfan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 433

Favors has been traded. He played for NJ last year.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-12, 01:29 AM
tuncaboylu's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Turkiye
Posts: 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
why don't we list every big man on every bench that isn't being used and suggest trading for them.

These guys aren't getting playing time because they suck

Hickson had 3 sucky years in Cleveland. If he can't produce on a sucky Cleveland team, and he can't produce on a sucky Sacramento team, why would he all of the sudden produce for the Spurs?

There are no savior big men out there for us. We just have to do with what we got.

In addition, there are no free agent big men we will get that will be better that what we have (or what we will get from Lorbek).
I wonder how Hickson sucked in Cavs in 2010-11 by averaging 13.8 points 8.7 rebounds in 80 games?
__________________
CHAMPIONS SPURS - MVP DUNCAN
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-24-12, 09:31 AM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,261

Well, he didn't completely suck then, but the team did. So the numbers are obviously inflated from what he would do on a team with talent.

We have to face facts. He'd be lucky to come here and average half of that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-24-12, 09:58 AM
tuncaboylu's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Turkiye
Posts: 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Well, he didn't completely suck then, but the team did. So the numbers are obviously inflated from what he would do on a team with talent.

We have to face facts. He'd be lucky to come here and average half of that.
I would easily sacrifice both JA and Cory for the half of that stats here. He's young, talented to average near double double(agree Cavs sucks, but the stats are good), need to prove something in his contract year. Ih he can play 6 pts 5 rebs here, I'm OK with it.

I agree he's not great defender and don't have midrange shoot; but he's very cheap(if we can acquire him by sending our 3rd stringers), an athletic body and can be an energizer bench player in some games.
__________________
CHAMPIONS SPURS - MVP DUNCAN
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-24-12, 10:11 AM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,261

Cory Joseph is only a third stringer because he's a rookie. He has a lot more talent than JJ Hickson and this front office will not dump him for a guy who will be the 4th guy off the bench.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-24-12, 10:57 AM
tuncaboylu's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Turkiye
Posts: 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Cory Joseph is only a third stringer because he's a rookie. He has a lot more talent than JJ Hickson and this front office will not dump him for a guy who will be the 4th guy off the bench.
I don't have high hopes on Cory and our team need an instant help on front-court. We have no luxury to wait Cory's development and even he will become a solid player it will not be in 2 years. We can find a replacement of Cory this year's draft, it will be a strong class. JA is goner on summer and can't help this year. That's why sending Cory for Hickson is no brainer.
__________________
CHAMPIONS SPURS - MVP DUNCAN
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-24-12, 07:06 PM
clovisnmspurfan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,395

In this shortened season it is too late to make any trades that would help unless we could trade Cory for Blake Griffin straight up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-25-12, 10:38 AM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,539

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
I wonder how Hickson sucked in Cavs in 2010-11 by averaging 13.8 points 8.7 rebounds in 80 games?
He sucked because he was horribly inconsistent, and didn't help his team win. That was the year he was given his shot. Cleveland thought he was going to be a leader on the team. When he failed to lead the team and win games, they traded him. They traded him for Omri Caspi. . . . who also sucks. When players in their 3rd year are traded for other sucky non-producing players, it is a sign that they suck.

He wouldn't not get playing time for the Spurs. He woudln't produce half of those stats on the Spurs because he wouldn't get the ball. It took Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili a season and a half to learn how to get Tiago the ball, and Tiago is good. Why would they pass the ball to Dickson?
__________________
Austin Day is better than Nando De colo, Dejuan Blair, and Matt Bonner!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-25-12, 10:40 AM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,539

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
In this shortened season it is too late to make any trades that would help unless we could trade Cory for Blake Griffin straight up.
Now this is a trade I could get behind!
__________________
Austin Day is better than Nando De colo, Dejuan Blair, and Matt Bonner!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-26-12, 11:21 AM
tuncaboylu's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Turkiye
Posts: 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
He sucked because he was horribly inconsistent, and didn't help his team win. That was the year he was given his shot. Cleveland thought he was going to be a leader on the team. When he failed to lead the team and win games, they traded him. They traded him for Omri Caspi. . . . who also sucks. When players in their 3rd year are traded for other sucky non-producing players, it is a sign that they suck.

He wouldn't not get playing time for the Spurs. He woudln't produce half of those stats on the Spurs because he wouldn't get the ball. It took Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili a season and a half to learn how to get Tiago the ball, and Tiago is good. Why would they pass the ball to Dickson?
You're wrong again. Honestly I'm wonderin' how a person can be so wrong in a writing:

This is Hickson's game logs in 2010-11 season and you can see that he's very consistent after launching in starting 5
J.J. Hickson 2010-11 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

The Cavs was a terrible team after James left them and you can't blame Hickson for not make them a winning team.

Moreover you're not telling the whole story in Caspi trade. Cavs get a 1st round draft pick next to Caspi while sending Hickson to them. It would be a lottery pick after 2 years. That means Kings sacrificed a very hopeful pick to get Hickson in exchange.

Tiago is good but Hickson can help to Spurs. Because Bonner sucks in play-off time, Blair is undersized and Duncan is aging.

I don't know what Hickson did to you in past, but you're cruel to him.
__________________
CHAMPIONS SPURS - MVP DUNCAN
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-26-12, 11:49 AM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,539

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
You're wrong again. Honestly I'm wonderin' how a person can be so wrong in a writing:

This is Hickson's game logs in 2010-11 season and you can see that he's very consistent after launching in starting 5
J.J. Hickson 2010-11 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

The Cavs was a terrible team after James left them and you can't blame Hickson for not make them a winning team.

Moreover you're not telling the whole story in Caspi trade. Cavs get a 1st round draft pick next to Caspi while sending Hickson to them. It would be a lottery pick after 2 years. That means Kings sacrificed a very hopeful pick to get Hickson in exchange.

Tiago is good but Hickson can help to Spurs. Because Bonner sucks in play-off time, Blair is undersized and Duncan is aging.

I don't know what Hickson did to you in past, but you're cruel to him.
Well, you can base Hicksons consistency off of one month as a starter. I base it off of 3 1/2 years in the NBA. For some reason, Cleveland thought he wasn't worth it, so they traded him, and now he can't get playing time over such great PF/C's as Jason Thompson and Chuck Hayes on a really crappy team. I bet if he were on the Spurs he would instantly take the starting spot form DeJuan Blair.
__________________
Austin Day is better than Nando De colo, Dejuan Blair, and Matt Bonner!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-26-12, 12:18 PM
tuncaboylu's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Turkiye
Posts: 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Well, you can base Hicksons consistency off of one month as a starter. I base it off of 3 1/2 years in the NBA. For some reason, Cleveland thought he wasn't worth it, so they traded him, and now he can't get playing time over such great PF/C's as Jason Thompson and Chuck Hayes on a really crappy team. I bet if he were on the Spurs he would instantly take the starting spot form DeJuan Blair.
I'm not claiming that he can start on Spurs, I'm claiming that he can be help to our front-court. Why don't you understand or accept that?

I don't know why Kings aren't giving him a chance this year. Maybe there's a problem with his coach or maybe they just don't want to raise his stock on his contract season. Or maybe he just sucks in trainings, I don't know. The thing that I know is we need a front-court player and Hickson is a cheap and reasonable canditate.
__________________
CHAMPIONS SPURS - MVP DUNCAN
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-26-12, 06:29 PM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,539

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
I'm not claiming that he can start on Spurs, I'm claiming that he can be help to our front-court. Why don't you understand or accept that?

I don't know why Kings aren't giving him a chance this year. Maybe there's a problem with his coach or maybe they just don't want to raise his stock on his contract season. Or maybe he just sucks in trainings, I don't know. The thing that I know is we need a front-court player and Hickson is a cheap and reasonable canditate.
Well we just disagree. I think Hickson sucks. Any big man we get has to be better than Blair or Bonner (at least in Pops viewe), and Hickson isn't. He woudln't be better than either of those guys, so he woudn't get any playing time.

And, It isn't hard to figure out why he isn't getting playing time for the Kings. It is because he sucks. He was getting playing time, but he stunk up the court, and they benched him in favor of chuck hayes . . . . CHUCK HAYES. Why don't you suggest we trade for him. He is better than JJ!

Look man, I live in Sacramento. I have been to their games. JJ Hickson sucks. Get over it.
__________________
Austin Day is better than Nando De colo, Dejuan Blair, and Matt Bonner!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-27-12, 12:22 AM
tuncaboylu's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Turkiye
Posts: 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Well we just disagree. I think Hickson sucks. Any big man we get has to be better than Blair or Bonner (at least in Pops viewe), and Hickson isn't. He woudln't be better than either of those guys, so he woudn't get any playing time.

And, It isn't hard to figure out why he isn't getting playing time for the Kings. It is because he sucks. He was getting playing time, but he stunk up the court, and they benched him in favor of chuck hayes . . . . CHUCK HAYES. Why don't you suggest we trade for him. He is better than JJ!

Look man, I live in Sacramento. I have been to their games. JJ Hickson sucks. Get over it.
Chuck Hayes is getting 5.25M this year and we can not get him by not sending a key player in rotation. Moreover his contract is 4 years long and he will hurt our future off-season movements.

Anyway, i agree about disagree. Your comments doesn't make any sense in my opinion.
__________________
CHAMPIONS SPURS - MVP DUNCAN
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-27-12, 12:47 PM
Jose_TheGenius's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,511

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
Chuck Hayes is getting 5.25M this year and we can not get him by not sending a key player in rotation. Moreover his contract is 4 years long and he will hurt our future off-season movements.

Anyway, i agree about disagree. Your comments doesn't make any sense in my opinion.
what chopps means is that for everything JJ Hickson's pros (athleticism, height....well that's about it), they benched him over a shorter (Hayes is around 6'6" at center), slower, non offensive player. he's basically saying if he's so great, why'd they bench him for Chuck Hayes? (and he's being sarcastic about trading for Hayes)
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-27-12, 01:35 PM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Universal City
Posts: 3,699

JJ Hickson has never really impressed me even when he was in Cleveland.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-27-12, 02:07 PM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,261

Folks, this is JJ Hickson we are talking about. Give it a rest. It's not like he's Ime Udoka or James White or something.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-27-12, 03:45 PM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,539

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Folks, this is JJ Hickson we are talking about. Give it a rest. It's not like he's Ime Udoka or James White or something.
:applause:applause
__________________
Austin Day is better than Nando De colo, Dejuan Blair, and Matt Bonner!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-27-12, 03:47 PM
katyspursfan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,649

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post

And, It isn't hard to figure out why he isn't getting playing time for the Kings. It is because he sucks. He was getting playing time, but he stunk up the court, and they benched him in favor of chuck hayes . . . . CHUCK HAYES. Why don't you suggest we trade for him. He is better than JJ!

Look man, I live in Sacramento. I have been to their games. JJ Hickson sucks. Get over it.
Holy mackerel! Why didn't you say so?
That puts JJ Hickson on the same level as Luis Scola, for cryinoutloud!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-19-12, 03:45 PM
renocarter1515's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 315
J. J. Hickson anyone

Kings just bought him out i like his game thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-19-12, 03:47 PM
Jose_TheGenius's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,511

there's a difference between a veteran getting bought out and a young guy on a small contract who's not that good

no thanks
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-19-12, 04:22 PM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,261

JJ Hickson has some game. I would say he's at least in the conversation.

All three big names we're talking about-- Turiaf, Diaw, and Hickson-- aren't really big names and they all have flaws.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-19-12, 05:28 PM
spurduncan21's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: America
Posts: 1,967

Hickson would be better during the season whereas Diaw would prove his value moreso in the playoffs IMO. Reason being Hickson would be more fun to watch but in the playoffs Diaw would understand his role and be better suited to playing within his strengths.
__________________
“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising in every time we fall”

- Confucius
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-19-12, 05:37 PM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,261

Sacramento Kings buy out J.J. Hickson - NBA - Sporting News

Quote:
Two years ago, with LeBron James having bolted Cleveland for the Miami Heat, the Cavaliers were hopeful that big man J.J. Hickson was a player around whom they could build their foundation for the future. Hickson did average 13.8 points and 8.7 rebounds that season, but he frustrated coaches and management with repeated mental mistakes and blown defensive assignments . . .

Things didn’t go much better with the Kings, as Hickson openly longed to be back in Cleveland last month amid a season in which he has averaged just 4.7 points and shot 37.0 percent . . .

It’s a stunning turn of events for a guy who so recently seemed to have All-Star potential. The Kings tried hard to deal Hickson before Thursday’s trading deadline, but could not find a deal that matched up.

Despite his obvious struggles and the lack of interest on the trade market, Hickson is expected to draw plenty of attention in free agency in the coming days.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-19-12, 05:40 PM
Jose_TheGenius's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,511

and that last bold sentence is enough to make Pop not want to get near the guy
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-19-12, 05:47 PM
fakemxcan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: AUWWWSTIN TEXAS BABY!!
Posts: 892

well, danny ferry will have a good idea if he is worth it or not, so if we pursue him, you know how we feel about him
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-19-12, 06:38 PM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Universal City
Posts: 3,699

seems like a fit for the Suns IMO
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-19-12, 09:18 PM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,261

The Suns is exactly what I thought (also for Ian). But he's got talent. We're talking a guy who was the #19 pick coming out of college as a freshman. He was considered a bargain at that pick and only dropped that low because he was still very raw as a freshman. He has shown some great stuff out there but he will need to be coached up to be a good player.

There are some out here who would want to take a flyer on a guy with All-NBA talent who is injured now and has never shown he can stay healthy in the NBA (Oden). I would make the argument we should take a flyer on a guy with lottery-type talent who hasn't made it due to mostly mental issues.

We have done the same thing in the past with guys like Sjax (success) and James White (failure). But the risk/reward on a guy who is young, healthy, talented, and cheap would IMO tilt in favor of signing a guy like this.

I really wouldn't care if it's Diaw, Turiaf, or Hickson. But all three give us a little more size, athleticism, and skill than we currently have from Blair and Bonner.

This roster really only has two legit big men. We have four guys who play the "big man" positions but one is an undersized rebound hog and layup drill specialist and the other one is a three point specialist and hoagie connoisseur. A third true big man would be nice.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-19-12, 09:19 PM
Sdayi1's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 280

Pass.

Last edited by Sdayi1; 03-19-12 at 09:36 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-19-12, 09:34 PM
Sdayi1's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 280

J.J. Hickson agrees to buyout with Kings

GS and Phoenix are the frontrunners for his services.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-20-12, 10:06 AM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,539

Wow, Too bad we didn't trade for Hickson since

HE GOT DUMPED FOR NOTHING.

I bet Sacramento released him because he was so great when he played for Cleveland.
__________________
Austin Day is better than Nando De colo, Dejuan Blair, and Matt Bonner!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-20-12, 10:07 AM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,539

J.J. Hickson sucks.

Please refer to earlier extensive posts on this subject.

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/sp...hickson-2.html (J.J. Hickson)
__________________
Austin Day is better than Nando De colo, Dejuan Blair, and Matt Bonner!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-21-12, 03:06 AM
tuncaboylu's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Turkiye
Posts: 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
J.J. Hickson sucks.

Please refer to earlier extensive posts on this subject.

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/sp...hickson-2.html (J.J. Hickson)
Did you prove your claim now? You're really funny.

Hickson didn't fit in Kings system and this buy-out is not weird since he's expiring.

If we can not land on neither Diaw nor Turiaf, Spurs should try to acquire this guy. He sucked in Kings but he has potential. He can help us in play-offs
__________________
CHAMPIONS SPURS - MVP DUNCAN
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-21-12, 09:30 AM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,261

He will have to get his head on straight in terms of his focus on the court. If he does that he'll be great. But the odds on that happening all of a sudden now are long.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-21-12, 10:00 AM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,539

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Quote from article: "but he frustrated coaches and management with repeated mental mistakes and blown defensive assignments."

So what they are saying is that he is too stupid.

I wonder how well he would pick up the Spurs defensive rotations



I mean


as stupid as he is.
__________________
Austin Day is better than Nando De colo, Dejuan Blair, and Matt Bonner!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-21-12, 10:13 AM
Rodny21a's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 269

J.J Hickson is Young guy with some raw talent. He is loved by Danny Ferry. He is injured(Im guessing that is accurate). The spurs have the proven their coaching staff has the ability to mentor young "cast offs" into more than serviceable NBA players. For example Stephen Jackson a Decade ago and Danny Green today. Hickson will be available in the off season and I see no reason whey the Spurs wouldn't or shouldn't try to do something then.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-21-12, 11:31 AM
choppsboy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 1,539

You can't fix stupid
__________________
Austin Day is better than Nando De colo, Dejuan Blair, and Matt Bonner!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-21-12, 11:42 AM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,261

Steve Nash will make sure that he gets overpaid by some team this summer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-21-12, 12:25 PM
Rodny21a's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
You can't fix stupid
Quit talking about Blair like that....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0