News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-12, 02:58 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Kenyon Martin deciding which contender to join

This rumor comes from some close to the Spurs and follows on the heels of a report three hours ago from David Spears of Yahoo who reported:

“He’s a veteran guy who knows how to win at a high level and in a playoff environment,” one NBA general manager said. “He also plays multiple positions. If you get him to a situation where he can be an Antonio McDyess -type of guy, that’s a heck of a guy to add to your roster.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...tin_nba_013112

Thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-01-12, 05:33 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

If true it makes sense, but Martin would not be able to join the Spurs until after Feb 16 when the playoffs in China end.

From ESPN:

Martin played with current Clipper Chauncey Billups for parts of three seasons in Denver. Billups said he highly recommended his former teammate's services.

"I think he’s very valuable," Billups said. "He comes from winning stock. He’s been to the finals twice, has great ability and is a leader. He’s one of the great one-on-one big man defenders that I’ve played with.

"One thing I know about Kenyon: He’s a winner. He’ll do whatever it takes to win."

A common knock on Martin for much of his NBA career has been his attitude. Critics say his disposition can be and has proven to be cancerous to some squads. Billups said that couldn't be further from the truth.

"Contrary to what everybody believes, he’s really a good dude," Billups said of Martin.

Asked if he planned to recruit Martin to come to the Clippers in the coming weeks, Billups laughed.

“I already have been,” he said.

Clippers talk Kenyon Martin - Los Angeles Clippers Blog - ESPN Los Angeles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-01-12, 05:45 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Would be nice that's all I'm going to say. I believe we have a better shot at Kaman than we do with K-Mart.

- Confucius
Old 02-01-12, 05:56 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
Would be nice that's all I'm going to say. I believe we have a better shot at Kaman than we do with K-Mart.
It would be a vast defensive improvement to our front line. Let's hope its true.

Maybe Richard Jefferson has been lobbying him to come to SA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoar.COM
Martin who was released by the Chinese club on December 24 could well be back in an NBA jersey by as soon as February 16.

The first overall selection in the 2000 draft according to sources have the Heat, Clippers, Hawks, Spurs and Knicks as teams of interest.

Martin, 34, is eager to go to a team with strong contention where he will play a substantial role.

If the 6’9’’ F limits his options to those five teams mentioned, then money won’t be the biggest factor. The Clips, Knicks, Spurs and Hawks can offer Martin around $2.5m plus. The Heat has only $1.4m to play with.

This is why Martin will decide on playing in Miami when the Flying Tigers’ season ends.

Factor one is age. Factor two is a Championship ring.
Old 02-01-12, 10:07 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Chip Engellund, dial your office . . . and enter code "3-23."
Old 02-01-12, 11:53 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

I'd like to see K=Mart in a Spurs uniform. He'd add a ton to the team, especially in terms of attitude and fight. He wants consistent minutes, he'd get them, he wants to have a chance to win, he'd have it.

Would a starting five of TD, K-Mart, RJ, TP, and KL have enough offense? Or should Splitter start and have K-Mart be the main big off the bench with the hustle guys we currently have such as Green, Neal, Blair, that could be a potent overall squad.

Plus I think he hates the Mavs as much as all of us do....
Old 02-01-12, 12:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

He'd most likely start with bonner and blar as situational role players to be teamed with splitter. I we
Sign K-Mart, Blair's minutes will be the most affected

- Confucius
Old 02-01-12, 12:26 PM
The Master Baiter

Yeah, Blair would be the one to see his minutes reduced. Which would be a good thing because he's looking for pay raise and I'm hoping the Spurs don't overpay and undersized guy. Blair would most likely find a new team. I love his spunk, but physically he is challenged.
Old 02-01-12, 12:43 PM

Quote:
He'd most likely start with bonner and blar as situational role players to be teamed with splitter. I we
Sign K-Mart, Blair's minutes will be the most affected
i'll go one up on that. not only will his minutes suffer, if we sign K-Mart, he'd go from starting to 3rd string in a blink of an eye. Pop can start Splitter and K-Mart can come off the bench with Bonner. he'd have a lot of learning to do "on the job" with defense, but he'd have more of a luxury with an open court on offense with Bonner (hopefully) making his shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Yeah, Blair would be the one to see his minutes reduced. Which would be a good thing because he's looking for pay raise and I'm hoping the Spurs don't overpay and undersized guy. Blair would most likely find a new team. I love his spunk, but physically he is challenged.
+1. even if he does REALLY REALLY good, we'll be holding our breaths every year if he gets a big paycheck because his knees can give out at any time.
Old 02-01-12, 01:12 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I don't know what to expect from Martin.

Also I am not sure how attractive San Antonio looks to an unrestricted f/a like Martin. We're a middle of the road team right now, and in a small market. I don't see Martin looking past NY or Los Angeles.IMHO.
Old 02-01-12, 01:48 PM

btw i changed the title of the thread to the title of the article.

no where does it say we're "about to land" Kenyon Martin.
Old 02-01-12, 03:23 PM
The Master Baiter

Well, that changes everything, because if he's looking for a true contender then I doubt SA is on his radar.
Old 02-01-12, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Well, that changes everything, because if he's looking for a true contender then I doubt SA is on his radar.
I don't know . . . maybe his mind is still stuck in 2003 like some other folks around here.
Old 02-01-12, 04:22 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
I don't know . . . maybe his mind is still stuck in 2003 like some other folks around here.
hahaha that was a good one...

Im in that group sometimes...
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 02-01-12, 04:34 PM

I think we all have to battle that tendency.
Old 02-01-12, 04:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It is a free agent situation he is not coming here.... anyway he will dissapear in the playoffs again.
Old 02-01-12, 05:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Now the Lakers are after him as well as Howard.
Old 02-01-12, 05:21 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
I would gladly take Stephen Jackson off the Bucks hands for RJ right now.
Old 02-01-12, 05:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
I would gladly take Stephen Jackson off the Bucks hands for RJ right now.
YOu'd be crazy not to. I read a report somewhere asking who would trade for Jackson. Well, I'd like to think we would. Needless to say, a big needs to be acquired and if its not Kaman or K-Mart, we need to get the ball rolling. Time is of the essence and the sooner a deal gets done, the better our spurs will be.

- Confucius
Old 02-01-12, 05:44 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
YOu'd be crazy not to. I read a report somewhere asking who would trade for Jackson. Well, I'd like to think we would. Needless to say, a big needs to be acquired and if its not Kaman or K-Mart, we need to get the ball rolling. Time is of the essence and the sooner a deal gets done, the better our spurs will be.

Oh I know but I can't wait for someone to say I'm stuck in 2003!.lol