News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-12, 02:46 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Spurs salary question**************************

If you had a choice would you rather have on your NBA team or to keep on Spurs for that matter............... Matt Bonner or these 3 players?(Blair,Green, and Neal)

Matt Bonner makes 3.3 million this year.

The others make 2.6 million combined this year?

Matt Bonner

3.3 million

Or

DeJuan Blair

Danny Green

Gary Neal

2.6 million

The Red Rocket or those other three dudes? Look at the salary first then performance in regular season second and playoffs third please. Remember salary!

Just wondering......................
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-29-12, 03:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Man, you have way more time on your hands than I do!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-29-12, 03:41 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
Man, you have way more time on your hands than I do!!
it's Sunday.........
Old 01-30-12, 09:55 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I always hate these salary comparisons when you are dealing with rookie contracts.

Danny Green will be a RFA this summer and he will get a nice raise. Then let's talk comparisons.
Old 01-30-12, 12:24 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
I always hate these salary comparisons when you are dealing with rookie contracts.

Danny Green will be a RFA this summer and he will get a nice raise. Then let's talk comparisons.
So would you rather give Danny Green 3.3 million or Bonner?
Old 01-31-12, 02:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
To Bonner. Bonner is not an overpaid guy in NBA.

I like Danny Green, but take it easy guys. He has just played 20 games and not tested in play-offs. Remember Roger Mason Jr.? He was playing very solid at the beginning and people were talking about Roger Mason church. Where is he now?

It's also a question mark when Manu comes back and how will that affect Green's minutes.

Danny should prove that his form is not fluke and he can also contribute well on play-offs. After that we can give him a nice contract.

Last edited by tuncaboylu; 01-31-12 at 03:02 AM.
Old 01-31-12, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I think anyone would agree going into this year with Danny Green on a $3.3mil/year contract would've been insane.

But I would not be surprised to see him get an upgrade in that ballpark this season. He is a RFA.

Players never get paid according to their current productivity. It is always based either on past performance or talent as a predictor of future productivity. It's the nature of pro sports contracts.

So I would say right now Bonner is paid about right. Green is underpaid. Blair is underpaid. Neal is underpaid.

Neal and Green will probably get raises, here or somewhere else. Blair will probably get a raise, but how much/where/how long depends on how he finishes the year and who thinks he will stay this healthy as he gets into his mid to late twenties.
Old 01-31-12, 10:07 AM

Also:

Keep in mind that almost every other franchise in the NBA systematically overpays its talent. The Spurs systematically underbid for talent. So guys here that we signed are almost always underpaid by league standards, unless we goofed (see Butler, Jackie). Bonner is not overpaid by league standards. And of course we overpaid RJ on purpose to basically rework a deal that we didn't give him, in order to make his money more cap/tax friendly.
Old 01-31-12, 11:07 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Actually when it comes to Bonner what bothers me is the contract length more then his annual pay. Having him and RJ cripples the Spurs' books for the next few years.
Old 01-31-12, 04:13 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Actually when it comes to Bonner what bothers me is the contract length more then his annual pay. Having him and RJ cripples the Spurs' books for the next few years.
Bonner does nothing to cripple the books.
Spurs will be under the salary cap this summer. Later this year. Next few years count even less.

It's like you don't even think before you type.
It is nice to see you have accepted that Bonner is not overpaid, though.
Old 01-31-12, 04:47 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Bonner does nothing to cripple the books.
Spurs will be under the salary cap this summer. Later this year. Next few years count even less.

It's like you don't even think before you type.
It is nice to see you have accepted that Bonner is not overpaid, though.
So having RJ and Bonner taking up 14 million does nothing to the cap? They will only be under because of one player TD. You think he is coming back for the vet. minimum? Think before I type? You are the one who said that YOU had a "brain fart" to one of my replies. Your words not mine. Do we need to go there? The forum saves them. On the Bonner stuff. I think myself and someone else with an IQ much higher then room temperature responded to all the "Red Rocket" lovers on here too many times already. So I will say the guy had a good game last night. Moving on............
Old 01-31-12, 06:53 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
So having RJ and Bonner taking up 14 million does nothing to the cap? They will only be under because of one player TD. You think he is coming back for the vet. minimum? Think before I type? You are the one who said that YOU had a "brain fart" to one of my replies. Your words not mine. Do we need to go there? The forum saves them. On the Bonner stuff. I think myself and someone else with an IQ much higher then room temperature responded to all the "Red Rocket" lovers on here too many times already. So I will say the guy had a good game last night. Moving on............
Whoa, whoa, whoa. As a participant in some of the arguments about Bonner, they were hardly lopsided.
Old 01-31-12, 08:09 PM

Jose_TheGenius signed for $3 million. i can jack up 3's and miss them in the playoffs AND i can make a pretty mean hoagie
Old 01-31-12, 08:17 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
Jose_TheGenius signed for $3 million. i can jack up 3's and miss them in the playoffs AND i can make a pretty mean hoagie
OR, you can sign for 12 million and just get injured when the team needs you the most. :drummer
Old 01-31-12, 08:19 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
OR, you can sign for 12 million and just get injured when the team needs you the most. :drummer
yeah don't forget the 3 titles and other stuff.
all star
6th man award
etc.
Old 01-31-12, 08:23 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
yeah don't forget the 3 titles and other stuff.
all star
6th man award
etc.
2007 was awhile ago my friend. And the other stuff is regular season awards, since we ARE only talking about the playoffs.
Old 01-31-12, 08:24 PM
Herman Cain of the board

^^^^^^^^^^dude had a broken elbow please
Old 01-31-12, 08:27 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I said 3 titles those happen in the playoffs right? He was a major cog to all 3. Some NBA teams have never won one title in their history as far as to your 2007 comment. We can talk about regular or playoff basketball it does not matter your arguement loses.
Old 01-31-12, 08:29 PM

how about i "take a paycut" from $21 million to $18 million to "help the team sign a free agent" while i have 2 bad knees?

not getting down on Duncan, but if you think Manu is overpaid because he gets injured a lot, then Duncan has to be WAY overpaid since he's getting twice as Manu and giving us less productivity when both are "healthy" (especially the last 2-3 years)
Old 01-31-12, 08:49 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
how about i "take a paycut" from $21 million to $18 million to "help the team sign a free agent" while i have 2 bad knees?

not getting down on Duncan, but if you think Manu is overpaid because he gets injured a lot, then Duncan has to be WAY overpaid since he's getting twice as Manu and giving us less productivity when both are "healthy" (especially the last 2-3 years)
True, but he's the greatest PF of all time.
Old 01-31-12, 08:53 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
He is but you seem to question Manu a lot. Only one here BTW I think. lots of people on here question bonner more then the big 3 combined
Old 01-31-12, 09:03 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
I said 3 titles those happen in the playoffs right? He was a major cog to all 3. Some NBA teams have never won one title in their history as far as to your 2007 comment. We can talk about regular or playoff basketball it does not matter your arguement loses.
You missed the part where I said 2007 was a long time ago. We are talking more recent aren't we, like during the Bonner era? He not only had a broken elbow, but he also sprained his ankle a couple of times before that, etc. He's basically Yao Ming. At least this year he got injured at the beginning of the season.
Old 01-31-12, 09:13 PM
Herman Cain of the board

bonner was there for 2007. guess you missed that. he was at the end of the bench!
Old 01-31-12, 09:22 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
bonner was there for 2007. guess you missed that. he was at the end of the bench!
Ok, let's put it this way so you'll understand. Since 2008 (after the 2007 championship), Manu has been injured enough at the end of every season that he either couldn't play in the playoffs or it really affected his game and he wasn't the normal Manu. You can't dispute that. We are now in 2012, and lo and behold, he is injured again. Now, injuries are not his fault, but I'm at the point where I would rather trade him then start the beginning of the season saying "We have a great shot if Manu stays healthy."
Old 01-31-12, 09:35 PM
Herman Cain of the board

So you'll understand rocks for brains you said Bonner era and Bonner was there in 2007. You wanna make a point don't insult me. I don't care for your personal attacks. Read and RESPOND to my whole post instead of picking on the parts you want. You make it sound the Spurs had a Celtic like drought for titles going from 86' waiting till 08'for the 17th Boston championship. 2007 was not that so long ago. Still got TP,Manu,TD and your boy Bonner who kissed the trophy less then 5 years ago. You can make your points without stupid comments about 2008 being after 2007. Get a life dude!
Old 01-31-12, 09:54 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
So you'll understand rocks for brains you said Bonner era and Bonner was there in 2007. You wanna make a point don't insult me. I don't care for your personal attacks. Read and RESPOND to my whole post instead of picking on the parts you want. You make it sound the Spurs had a Celtic like drought for titles going from 86' waiting till 08'for the 17th Boston championship. 2007 was not that so long ago. Still got TP,Manu,TD and your boy Bonner who kissed the trophy less then 5 years ago. You can make your points without stupid comments about 2008 being after 2007. Get a life dude!
Who's insulting you?! I was trying to get you to understand my feelings on Manu. You're just on edge. That quote was your whole post.
Old 01-31-12, 10:10 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Who's insulting you?! I was trying to get you to understand my feelings on Manu. You're just on edge. That quote was your whole post.
my gosh dude I give up! dude I don't want an apology just be a little more civil with your posts. I'm not on edge just defending myself.
Old 01-31-12, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Manu's the most popular Spur (arguably of all time in the city of San Antonio) and brings money into the organization. he's also either 1-3 in PER in the SG spot (this year he was #1 before he went down if i'm not mistaken). if Manu's bringing in the majority of the money recently these past few years, then he's just getting a lot of what he's bringing in.
Old 01-31-12, 10:23 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
my gosh dude I give up! dude I don't want an apology just be a little more civil with your posts. I'm not on edge just defending myself.
I love you man. Let's never fight again.

Quote:
Manu's the most popular Spur (arguably of all time in the city of San Antonio) and brings money into the organization. he's also either 1-3 in PER in the SG spot (this year he was #1 before he went down if i'm not mistaken). if Manu's bringing in the majority of the money recently these past few years, then he's just getting a lot of what he's bringing in.
Manu is popular, but if you ask anyone who the face of the Spurs is, 99% would say Tim Duncan. DOWN WITH THE 1%!!!!
Old 02-01-12, 12:10 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Manu is popular, but if you ask anyone who the face of the Spurs is, 99% would say Tim Duncan. DOWN WITH THE 1%!!!!
Manu is not so popular with certain someone in this thread.
Old 02-01-12, 12:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm going to go outside the box and answer the original question and if I had to choose one of the four to pay it would be Gary, even coming back from injury he has put up solid numbers (comparable to Bonner) but more importantly when he dribbles the ball I don't cover my eyes in fear. Bonner is a set shooter and nothing else where Gary can actually create a shot if hurried of the 3 point line.
Old 02-01-12, 02:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Infact we can talk about the contracts of all playersi n our roster.

Tim Duncan: 21M this and expiring. He is very overpaid for his current performance, but since begin the icon of the organization and changing franchise's history and being an expiring contract it's OK.

Manu Ginobili: 13M this year and 2 years long. There is nothing with his peformance but his health situation and history of injuries makes him a little overpaid. But it's also OK for the loyalty.

Tony Parker: 12.5M this year and 4 years long. His performance, health situation, loyalty and age makes his contract reasonable.

Richard Jefferson: 9M this year and 3 years long. He's overpaid obvious. A rookie contract of Kawhi make similar contribition to team. Anyway, amnesty is an option at all.

Tiago Splitter: 3.5M this year and 2 years long. A little underpaid for his age, European reputation, his potential and his position.

Matt Bonner: 3.3M this year and 3 years long. Contract value is reasonable but length is not. You can not find 3 pointing PF in market easily and the ones you found(Like Steve Novak) have more liability then Bonner.

James Anderson: 1.5M this year and expiring since not used option. It's his rookie contract and despite it, not underpaid. It seems that he won't be more than a minimum salary player.

Kawhi Leonard: 1.5M this year and rookie contract. That's why it's bargain and very underpaid.

TJ Ford: 1M and veteran minimum and expiring. While he was healthy, he was underpaid.

DeJuan Blair: Less than 1M rookie contract and 2 years long. Very underpaid and bargain.

Danny Green: 600K minimum and expiring. Very underpaid and bargain.
Old 02-01-12, 07:25 AM
The Master Baiter

If you've been in the league 3+ years, the league minimum is near 1mil, and that's if you've do nothing but sit at the end of the bench. So all the Spurs young guys will get raises, but probably not all with the Spurs. Green is clearly making a name for himself and playing for a contract, but let's see how he does under real pressure. I would be comfortable giving Neal a decent contract, but he has to shoot better than 26% from 3 in the playoffs.

I think Blair is gone when his contract is up. He's going to want a significant raise, but in reality he has a limited skill set and is short for his position. Look at the guys like him that got great paydays and really haven't stood out since then. I like his tenacity, but don't want to overpay for that. See Malik Rose.
Old 02-01-12, 04:04 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Bonner's contract is not bad in any respect.
If you can find a sharp shooting big man and pay him ~3.5M, you do it.
And if, after half a decade the performance has not dropped off, then length shouldn't be an issue (TWSS). Even if it's another two years.