News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-12, 01:30 PM

Your Opinion: what do you do with the backup PG situation?

last night, we saw Neal's PG (or lack of) skills. he just can't handle the rock off the bench.

the Spurs recalled Cory Joseph from Austin with TJ Ford out.

my question for my fellow SpursReporters:

if you were the coach, do you stick with Neal as the backup PG or play Joseph?

if you play Joseph as the backup PG, do you still play Neal as the backup SG? if so, who's minutes do you cut?
Old 01-14-12, 01:33 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Just have to wait until Ford gets back, we're doing the same for Manu. I wouldn't mind seeing Joseph but I won't expect him to be better than Neal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-14-12, 01:37 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

It's not like those two choices are similar. There is way difference between a rookie and someone who did well last year and familiar with the Spurs system and even showed some poise in the PO. It is a no brainer... Pop has no choice but to play Gary in my honest opinion.

I would def stick with Neal to handle the back up PG simply because he is more familiar with Pop's System.

As much as I like Joseph, he is not yet familiar and will be very weak at this point to handle any major NBA point guards duties except in garbage time...

I can see Leonard playing back up SG or SF. And also James Anderson too.
Old 01-14-12, 02:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I say a little of both. Neal did well last night considering the opponent. We looked like the younger team. So spurts of Neal at PG with the freedom to score is a good thing. At the same time, it would be nice to see Joseph gain Pop's confidence enough to play 5 or 10 quality minutes (meaning not garbage time).
Old 01-14-12, 03:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I would give Cory a few minutes to see what he can do, if he makes too many mistakes he can always be removed, also Pop can do some coaching to help him gain experience. This would help Neal by not overworking him till he gets back in game shape.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-14-12, 05:22 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

While I understand the reason for calling up Cory - the D League has a few vet's who are capable of at least "filling" in for TJ for the month. I don't like the idea of extending Parkers mins out further, because if he gets injured the Spurs will go nowhere fast!
Why not bring in a guy whose been around the NBA a bit more than a rookie - who needs time - and there isn't a heap of time this season.
Old 01-14-12, 06:14 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
I would give Cory a few minutes to see what he can do, if he makes too many mistakes he can always be removed, also Pop can do some coaching to help him gain experience. This would help Neal by not overworking him till he gets back in game shape.
I have to agree with your assessment. Portland found our backup PG weakness and took advantage of it. Whether our future opponents take that initiative is to be seen. Sean Elliott also pointed out that it looked like Neal's legs weren't entirely back yet since Neal has been leaving quite a few of his shots short on the rim. What I would do would be to pair Joseph and Neal (SG) to allow them to work in tandem at PG, much like what Pop has done with TP and TJ, which would allow Neal to regain his legs without undo pressure and allow Joseph to get valuable court exposure.

Or we could always call Allen Iverson to see if he wants to make a comeback. :sarcasm
Old 01-14-12, 09:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

tough call, pop would be wise to take it on a game to game basis.
personally i would have corey as the first back point gaurd off the bench. imo thats why we drafted him in the first round (regardless if it was weak draft or not) we get to see what we have in him. parker still young so i think he can handle the extra load. but having neal or green as the back up point gaurd is doing a dis service to them. we need to keep them at there natural positions to ensure we are getting the most out of them. If nothing else id be okay with tradeing away anderson/blair/bonner and future second round draft pick for a quality bench player to fill in a position of need.
Old 01-14-12, 10:23 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Another Backup PG that will hopefully be available soon is Patty Mills. He's small but very quick and did a good job for Portland the last year or so. He's hopefully being released by his Chinese team soon and wouldn't cost much at all.
Being an Aussie, he'd have ties with Spurs Assistant Brett Brown.
Old 01-14-12, 10:31 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

NO CLUE LOL........ Try the kid Joseph some? If that doesn't work we have to wait like someone said.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 01-15-12, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Or we could always call Allen Iverson to see if he wants to make a comeback. :sarcasm
lockout = less practice
Old 01-15-12, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Another Backup PG that will hopefully be available soon is Patty Mills. He's small but very quick and did a good job for Portland the last year or so. He's hopefully being released by his Chinese team soon and wouldn't cost much at all.
Being an Aussie, he'd have ties with Spurs Assistant Brett Brown.
That would be a great pick up! I'm sure the Spurs are all over it, in stealth mode.
Old 01-15-12, 02:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sh! Don't mention Patty M___'s name>