News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 12-31-11, 03:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

SI: Tony ranked in Top PG's

Tony Parker - San Antonio Spurs - NBA's Top Point Guards - Photos - SI.com

Quote:
A three-time NBA champion, Tony Parker is often overlooked thanks to the large shadow cast by Tim Duncan, but has nonetheless been one of the NBA's premier point guards for years. He's averaged 16.7 points and 5.7 assists over his 10-year career and was named to the All-NBA's third team in 2008.
Old 12-31-11, 04:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yep, but only second in point guard championships, and first in mvp finals trophies.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-31-11, 04:22 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

but #1 in our hearts.

hehe
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-31-11, 04:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

well, TBH the list seems pretty much what I think, only that I'd take down Nash a few notches, so Tony would be 5/6th (I'd argue Westbrook). From the list as a whole, I think Jrue and Lowry have been raped
Old 12-31-11, 05:59 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Been told spur fans for yrs that Tony is a keeper becuz the people ahead of him on that list aren't avaiable at all anyway...

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 12-31-11, 06:01 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

"In no particular order, here is a list of the NBA's most talented point guards right now."

read at the very end of first page

Read more: Chris Paul - Los Angeles Clippers - NBA's Top Point Guards - Photos - SI.com

so, tony is not ranked 7... he is one of "NBA's Top Point Guards"
Old 01-01-12, 07:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sounds about right, although I like to think TP is a top 5 pg behind Rose, CP3 and D-Will. You can argue that Parker is ahead of Rondo and Westbrook. Nash is still top ten but not at 5 imo

- Confucius
Old 01-01-12, 11:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
Sounds about right, although I like to think TP is a top 5 pg behind Rose, CP3 and D-Will. You can argue that Parker is ahead of Rondo and Westbrook. Nash is still top ten but not at 5 imo
Like I said, I would argue Westbrook, but.. Rondo? really? if Boston were so crazy to give us Rondo for Tony I wouldn't think it twice. And let's be honest, nobody would. Right now, I'd say one of Rondo, Rose and CP3 is the #1 PG, and I'm leaning to Rondo over the other 2, the guy does absolutely everything, not a single weakness, tremendous D, the best game director in the league hands down, seriously, those 3 are in a league of their own!
Old 01-01-12, 11:23 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
but #1 in our hearts.

hehe
Ehhhhh I will just leave it at that there. Good PG and yes I like him, but not #1 to me. nor in my heart.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 01-01-12, 11:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Problem with Rondo is he can't throw a pea in the ocean.
Old 01-02-12, 12:59 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Problem with Rondo is he can't throw a pea in the ocean.

• Pts 18.8
  • Reb 4.5
  • Ast 9.0
  • 54% FG, 42.9% 3PT
yeah, that's horrible

edit: just for reference, here's Tony stats:

Pts 13.8
Reb 2.5
Ast 6.5
42% FG, 0.0 3PT

Seriously, Tony has some advantage in scoring and he has more rings to show, which in the end is what matters the most, but RIGHT NOW, Rondo is in a different league, as simple as that. btw, today he logged a triple double (18-11-14) shooting at 70%. Let's get real

Last edited by fabio; 01-02-12 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-02-12, 11:09 AM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

And Ricky Rubio is headed toward being better than CP3 and Rondo, while we are at it.
Old 01-02-12, 11:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guille View Post
And Ricky Rubio is headed toward being better than CP3 and Rondo, while we are at it.
Haha that's right. Rondo needs to do play that way for a entire season before I concede to his another league reference. Parker is always disrespected when not included in top 5 pg. as if people forget hes only 28 and has 3 rings and 1 finals MVP

- Confucius
Old 01-02-12, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
"In no particular order, here is a list of the NBA's most talented point guards right now."

read at the very end of first page

Read more: Chris Paul - Los Angeles Clippers - NBA's Top Point Guards - Photos - SI.com

so, tony is not ranked 7... he is one of "NBA's Top Point Guards"
ya'll need to pay more attention to JuanPooPoo's posts!

i changed the title so people won't keep getting confused
Old 01-02-12, 02:09 PM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

I´m sorry, but after Tony in that list, it shockingly went downwards.
Among the top point guards?
If the slideshow kept going just a couple more I wouldn´t be surprised to see Ridnour and Udrih... come on!!! Not so deep the point guard position as they say so in the article!
Old 01-02-12, 02:29 PM
The Eternal Optimist

I still say this, "TP is still the best point guard for the Spurs, regardless of where he ranks." The old "horses for courses" expression applies here. Some of these guys might struggle in Pop's system. Perhaps struggle is the wrong word. A better expression might be, their numbers might be substantially different operating in the Spurs system. When a team with 20 plus assists has two and three players with five plus assists, rather than just having one distributor it tends to reduce the primary distributor's production. Strangely TP's assists are up this year. Does this reflect anything to do with him, or just an improvement in team mate shooting percentages?

Stats are funny things. Sean pointed out the other night, TJ would have had X number of assists if guys had been making some of the easy shots they were making. Same offensive rebounds, if you are shooting well, you do not have many rebounds to get. (off topic, but just using stats is not necessarily the most effective assessment tool.)
Old 01-02-12, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
Strangely TP's assists are up this year. Does this reflect anything to do with him, or just an improvement in team mate shooting percentages?

Stats are funny things. Sean pointed out the other night, TJ would have had X number of assists if guys had been making some of the easy shots they were making. Same offensive rebounds, if you are shooting well, you do not have many rebounds to get. (off topic, but just using stats is not necessarily the most effective assessment tool.)
agree with your post (although i think TP is in a handful of guys who can help this team succeed because of how we're playing). i think TP's assists are up because, since we're running and gunning, there's more shots that are put up and more ball motion.

if you go back to the Spurs of yesteryear (heck let's pick out our last NBA title in 2007), it would be Parker creating and scoring most of the time because of his speed (same with Ginobili). we would run down the clock so all we would really do is have the chance to put up one shot in 24 sec (pick and roll and if the guy on the corner cheats, there's the pass to Bruce) as opposed to pushing the ball and having Parker pass it to a shooter in 12 seconds over using the 24 (kind of like saying we're putting up double the shots with this scheme, although not literal, just trying to point out there's more shots for us now). he is the ball handler on this team, so his assists should go up in this scheme and Manu has always gotten his assists and loves to play this tempo. Sean's right with guys making their shots, but going along with this tempo, it also makes us have a lot of misses.

i've never been a Parker person out of the Big 3, but the fact he's been passing more should make his worth grow for this team and organization because he can play slow and fast (like Manu).
Old 01-02-12, 02:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post

i've never been a Parker person out of the Big 3, but the fact he's been passing more should make his worth grow for this team and organization because he can play slow and fast (like Manu).
Couldnt agree more with the last line Jose

- Confucius