News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-11, 01:35 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Thoughts on upcoming season (I wish we could tank this year)

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah I know it's pretty much impossible now with Duncan's age, but with this upcoming draft, it's too bad TD isn't 32 or 33 so he could have a season-ending "injury" and come back the next year. This particular draft looks to be incredibly deep too. Oh well. My prediction for this year is around 40 wins and a 6th seed with a second round exit...if Leonard can live up to his "Bowen with size, speed, rebounding and not horrible offensively" potential the Spurs could do pretty damn well defensively. The main problem with the Spurs' defense has been the combination of Bowen's departure and TD's aging legs with Jefferson's and whatever undersized big man's old/crappy defense. With a quicker and larger big with defensive instincts worth a damn in Splitter and a SF to protect Duncan's declining lateral movement, the fans could see a better defense at times than we've seen in 2 years.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-25-11, 05:41 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Well with something like 26 back to back games and only having two players over 6'10 on the team we might not have to "TRY" to hard. We don't have any bigs beside Duncan who can hit the outside shot so teams are just going to pack the paint.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-25-11, 09:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Tanking is over rated, it's ****ty from a business perspective and it just leads to ****ty basketball.iI'd rather the spurs lose because they just aren't good then to lose on purpose.
Old 12-25-11, 09:55 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox86182 View Post
Tanking is over rated, it's ****ty from a business perspective and it just leads to ****ty basketball.iI'd rather the spurs lose because they just aren't good then to lose on purpose.
I agree with that. "It ain't over 'til its over" (Yogi Berra). This team may be very lopsided in balance. Hopefully not by the trade deadline but at least for now. I'd much rather watch a game where the team gave it everything they had and lost than see a team give it away. In the past, I have been very proud of some Spurs teams who lost their premier players due to injury and still came out fighting. The Spurs acquired Duncan through pure luck and then built a team around him using the smartest tactics in the League. No doubt that intelligence in tactics has slipped a bit over the years and no doubt that it is more challenging because the Spurs are never a lottery team and no doubt much of the Spurs front office that was that intelligence has moved on(Sam Presti in particular) and no doubt other teams have adopted the Spurs successful tactics but I think it is still possible to pull something off without a total collapse of the season (tanking) if they put their minds to it properly.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 12-25-11 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-25-11, 10:54 PM
SpursReport Rookie

They will not be very goid this year. I see about 33-34 wins.
With all the back2back games they will be forced to play the kids more which is good and bad.
They'll get expierience but not win as much.
Old 12-25-11, 11:40 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

First of all I don't wish the Spurs team to tank it. I sincerely hope they will hang in there and Tough it out and Grind It!

Second, I for once think that Pop and his assistant coaching staff would have not much choice here but to play "small ball" most of the time. Let's face it our bigs are limited here and we have not been lucky in the BIG guys FA to San Antonio for some reason.

I am hoping for this team to play smart rather than hard. They must go through some motions and figure it out themselves no question. It will be WAR this year with the back to back to backs, but that should not be a distraction because I am not sure the PO will have any back to backs....

If Spurs coaching staff can handle the rotation right with zero waste of time and figure quickly the minutes and how can they play the right people at the right time of the game this will be THE challenge no doubt.

Like Timmy Duncan said recently the players would be expected to STEP UP to the plate and DELIVER. They will have to take leads and help each other and GUT it out.... This does not happen naturally and a lot of people UNDERESTIMATE the power of an intelligent coaching staff as our Spurs helping building character and winning attitudes in new players.

I expect my Spurs to win 45 games, and to be at top three seeds in the West. Spurs can win first round and second round and get to Western Conf Finals in my opinion. But the key is being HEALTHY and have that Chemistry!

I predict Manu and Timmy and TP to have an excellent year and to be healthy most of the time because our coaching staff will use the subs more than we ever guess and the subs would build a chemistry and team will gel fast.

Last edited by spurscrazed; 12-25-11 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-26-11, 12:20 AM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Ok...maybe I worded that poorly, I would never want to see SA tank purposefully, I've just been thinking about how fortuitous the Spurs were in 97 and that with our constant issues bringing in big name FA's. That team didn't tank, just was kinda crappy without Drob. Oh well, It looks like they'll sink or swim with health anyways.