News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-11, 09:08 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

J. Howard, S. Battier, C. Butler? Which one?

Simple question....which one do you like/want the most and why? Or would you like to see the Spurs FO try to attain someone else? If so, who?
Old 12-08-11, 10:11 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I want C. Butler the most because I think he is the best defender and scorer of the bunch. I think Battier already made his decision for Miami.

If we get Howard, maybe I can score a bag off him.
Old 12-08-11, 10:26 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Shane Battier is the kind of guy who makes teams better in ways nobody notices. He is head and shoulders better than the other two IMO.

I can't say it enough. Read this:
Quote:
Battier’s game is a weird combination of obvious weaknesses and nearly invisible strengths. When he is on the court, his teammates get better, often a lot better, and his opponents get worse — often a lot worse. He may not grab huge numbers of rebounds, but he has an uncanny ability to improve his teammates’ rebounding. He doesn’t shoot much, but when he does, he takes only the most efficient shots. He also has a knack for getting the ball to teammates who are in a position to do the same, and he commits few turnovers. On defense, although he routinely guards the N.B.A.’s most prolific scorers, he significantly *reduces their shooting percentages. At the same time he somehow improves the defensive efficiency of his teammates — probably, Morey surmises, by helping them out in all sorts of subtle ways. “I call him Lego,” Morey says. “When he’s on the court, all the pieces start to fit together. And everything that leads to winning that you can get to through intellect instead of innate ability, Shane excels in. I’ll bet he’s in the hundredth percentile of every category.”
Quote:

Having watched Battier play for the past two and a half years, Morey has come to think of him as an exception: the most abnormally unselfish basketball player he has ever seen. Or rather, the player who seems one step ahead of the analysts, helping the team in all sorts of subtle, hard-to-measure ways that appear to violate his own personal interests. “Our last coach dragged him into a meeting and told him he needed to shoot more,” Morey says. “I’m not sure that that ever happened.” Last season when the Rockets played the San Antonio Spurs Battier was assigned to guard their most dangerous scorer, Manu Ginóbili. Ginóbili comes off the bench, however, and his minutes are not in sync with the minutes of a starter like Battier. Battier privately went to Coach Rick Adelman and told him to bench him and bring him in when Ginóbili entered the game. “No one in the N.B.A. does that,” Morey says. “No one says put me on the bench so I can guard their best scorer all the time.”

One well-known statistic the Rockets’ front office pays attention to is plus-minus, which simply measures what happens to the score when any given player is on the court. In its crude form, plus-minus is hardly perfect: a player who finds himself on the same team with the world’s four best basketball players, and who plays only when they do, will have a plus-minus that looks pretty good, even if it says little about his play. Morey says that he and his staff can adjust for these potential distortions — though he is coy about how they do it — and render plus-minus a useful measure of a player’s effect on a basketball game. A good player might be a plus 3 — that is, his team averages 3 points more per game than its opponent when he is on the floor. In his best season, the superstar point guard Steve Nash was a plus 14.5. At the time of the Lakers game, Battier was a plus 10, which put him in the company of Dwight Howard and Kevin Garnett, both perennial All-Stars. For his career he’s a plus 6. “Plus 6 is enormous,” Morey says. “It’s the difference between 41 wins and 60 wins.”
In other words, Battier is the anti-Lebron: little talent, total mental focus, 100% lack of selfishness. Him being on the Heat could really transform not just the Heat's season, but Lebron's career.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-08-11, 10:29 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Doesn't matter now, Battier is taking his talents to South Beach. I guess from what's left, Butler is the man.

S
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-08-11, 10:46 AM
The Eternal Optimist

Probably the best acquisition the Heat have made in the last two years, Battier, the type player to provide the glue/direction from the player level to help all the superstars attain their potential. Having said that, I still do not think will win it all.

Butler does seem to have better than average defensive skills and an ability to score. He should be a good role model/mentor for both, Leonard and Anderson. If only they could add an accomplished big, this team is shaping up to be lethal. Not the jump off the paper lethal type, but the steady, solid, one through nine type. It seems to me we lost a bit with Hill's departure, but we could end up being a much tougher (read more physical)team in many other positions as result. Must state the caveat, "with the continued development of Anderson and the attainment of projected potential of Leonard." It is looking like an interesting team, one with the depth and makeup to with stand a season like this year's.
Old 12-08-11, 11:01 AM

Butler because he fits our traditional system better. he would be what we wanted from RJ all along really.

the guy can play so, he can run. he can shoot 3's, he can create his own shot, and he can back down his opponent in the post.

the best thing to consider compared to what we had in Jefferson is the guy doesn't need much help on defense and we won't need to double if they try to post him up. most importantly, he can play next to Parker and Duncan without Ginobili in the lineup.
Old 06-14-12, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Shane Battier is the kind of guy who makes teams better in ways nobody notices. He is head and shoulders better than the other two IMO.

I can't say it enough. Read this:

In other words, Battier is the anti-Lebron: little talent, total mental focus, 100% lack of selfishness. Him being on the Heat could really transform not just the Heat's season, but Lebron's career.
Not to toot my own horn, but bump.

I just love how Battier plays and would covet him on this team.
Old 06-14-12, 10:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I say ef'em all! They passed us up before, so makes them come now? Battier is in the finals and Butler is on a exciting up and coming team in a large market and all the spotlight!
Old 06-14-12, 10:59 PM
Herman Cain of the board

no love for Mike Miller?.....lol
Old 06-14-12, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
I say ef'em all! They passed us up before, so makes them come now? Battier is in the finals and Butler is on a exciting up and coming team in a large market and all the spotlight!
Not saying he would come now, just talking about what a great, under rated role player he is.
Old 06-15-12, 03:25 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Spurs tried to land Battier. They have liked him for a long time and he would have definitely helped beat OKC-- just as you saw tonight in Game 2 of the finals.
Old 06-15-12, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Spurs tried to land Battier. They have liked him for a long time and he would have definitely helped beat OKC-- just as you saw tonight in Game 2 of the finals.
That is exactly what I am talking about. He is extremely intelligent, plays hard, it's big shots, and always seems to be in the right position to make the right play when it counts.

To me it is no mystery why Memphis didn't do as well in the playoffs this year. As great a player as Rudy Gay is, he doesn't glue the team together like Battier.
Old 06-15-12, 10:34 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Battier knew what team was going to win the championship this year, he has the inside track, plays against them, knows what the NBA wants or what is best the for the league, i think is why he declined to play for the spurs or other contenders, he played against us last year and probably realized that we were missing something and we were not going back to the finals or he really hate us ha, look at Fisher he went to OKC knowing who was going to the finals, when we got Finley he knew we were the team to beat back then, i just noticed these trends about teams in the NBA
Old 06-15-12, 10:52 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid12 View Post
Battier knew what team was going to win the championship this year, he has the inside track, plays against them, knows what the NBA wants or what is best the for the league, i think is why he declined to play for the spurs or other contenders, he played against us last year and probably realized that we were missing something and we were not going back to the finals or he really hate us ha, look at Fisher he went to OKC knowing who was going to the finals, when we got Finley he knew we were the team to beat back then, i just noticed these trends about teams in the NBA
Would You be saying the same thing about Diaw if the spurs were in the finals? Easy to judge when you have time to think about it but nobody knows or can predict accurately who will every year

- Confucius
Old 06-15-12, 12:18 PM

I wouldn't say Bavier news the heat will win the title but obviously knew they were good enough to get back into the finals. Plus, I think he would have known that he was a big part of what they needed to get better. He's the kind of guy who takes talent and turns it into a team.
Old 06-15-12, 02:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

J.Howard, S.Battier, C butler

i am not sure Diaw is that type of impact player, we were good before we got him again i noticed these trends for a few years now, like our last championship with Finley, i guess Horry too. and now either Fisher or Battier

Last edited by RealMadrid12; 06-15-12 at 02:06 PM. Reason: i was tryting to reply to a member
Old 06-15-12, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
Would You be saying the same thing about Diaw if the spurs were in the finals? Easy to judge when you have time to think about it but nobody knows or can predict accurately who will every year
I would be praising Diaw if the Spurs were in the finals, but even as much as I like Diaw, the term "mental toughness" has not been used to describe him. He is intelligent like Battier but not gritty and tireless.
Old 06-16-12, 03:45 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid12 View Post
Extremely keen observations.
Old 06-16-12, 08:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

in my book, CButler is one heck of a player and can give some of the same as SJax. And like Jax, I dont think he will disappear in the 4th.

Bottom line IMHO, the Spurs system works and they need people that can make shots when the ball swings around. Butler can do it.
Old 06-17-12, 04:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcantgetright View Post
in my book, CButler is one heck of a player and can give some of the same as SJax. And like Jax, I dont think he will disappear in the 4th.

Bottom line IMHO, the Spurs system works and they need people that can make shots when the ball swings around. Butler can do it.
At this point, another SF is not what the Spurs need with Leonard and Jackson onboard. What the Spurs do need is an athletic big. Lorbek will be a nice addition, but he is basically a better Bonner. If he comes aboard, the Spurs staff will have to strongly look at using the amnesty for Bonner to try and get an athletic big. It will be an interesting offseason.
Old 06-17-12, 12:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod View Post
At this point, another SF is not what the Spurs need with Leonard and Jackson onboard. What the Spurs do need is an athletic big. Lorbek will be a nice addition, but he is basically a better Bonner. If he comes aboard, the Spurs staff will have to strongly look at using the amnesty for Bonner to try and get an athletic big. It will be an interesting offseason.

much agreed. but at time SA need people that can give the starters rest. But just like last year, we need a back up PG and a true big
Old 06-17-12, 01:56 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod View Post
I agree another SF would not be the best route but if he could play at SG at times than that would be a plus. A long lanky defender in the backcourt would be nice. They should bring Lorbek over and move Bonner. I don't see them using the amnesty on Bonner or anyone else. I think a Bonner trade is on the horizon. They moved the impossible with RJ. It can be done.
Old 06-17-12, 06:21 PM
SpursReport Rookie

we do need a small forward, the league is full of them, Durant, Lebron, carmelo even Dirk,caron butler or shane battier(why you think the spurs and everybody else in the league wanted him) we need leonard to be a better offensive threat i think he can be in the future but b during the OKC VS Spurs series Durant didnt have to worry about defending Leonard since he wasnt an offensive type of player
Old 06-18-12, 09:17 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

long SF with skills is always welcome...

btw gerald wallace is optiing out his contract... (dream)