News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-11, 12:48 PM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

BREAKING: Spurs to use amnesty on Jefferson

Adrian Wojnarosky just tweeted that the Spurs exercised amnesty on RJ.
Comments?
Old 12-07-11, 12:52 PM

1) we found a FA who has privately agreed to sign with us while we dump Richie

2) we're sticking with our young guys at the wings

3) Jefferson pleaded to be amnestied after he walked into Pop's office seeing the coach with 5 empty wine bottles on his desk and a newly sharpened knife on one hand
Old 12-07-11, 12:55 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Does this kill any Kaman speculation now?

I hope we got a good SF in the bag....

Still need a big as well....
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-07-11, 12:57 PM

basically, we have no trade bait (RJ wasn't exactly trade bait either, just a filler if we decided to give up someone good to make the salaries work).
Old 12-07-11, 01:10 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I give the FO a lot of credit for owning up to one of their biggest mistakes during the Tim Duncan era and biting the bullet on this one. Paying a guy not on your roster tells me that they care about improving this team. I was never on board with the Jefferson signing. He really should be playing in the WNBA. Good riddance!!! Any of the SF's mentioned in rumors would be a welcomed and immediate upgrade.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-07-11, 01:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Question for anybody? Does McDyess count against the cap if he retires?
Old 12-07-11, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk2051 View Post
Question for anybody? Does McDyess count against the cap if he retires?
if Dice retires, he's off the books
Old 12-07-11, 01:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

That is pretty interesting, because if he retires and with the waiver of Jefferson that puts the Spurs in the range of $58 million, under the tax threshold and 8 million available for a free agent signing with no MLE.
Old 12-07-11, 01:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS View Post
Does this kill any Kaman speculation now?

I hope we got a good SF in the bag....

Still need a big as well....
I'm still hoping that a trade with Rj and bonner can be made. From Jeff McDonald it sounds like Caron butler is pretty much a shoe-in. I was hoping that either Kaman or al Jeff could be acquired using Rj and signing butler or ounce with the Mle. Looks likes the wings are taken care of. What we really need are bigs. Hopefully this will bring Ryan Richards

- Confucius
Old 12-07-11, 01:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
That is pretty interesting, because if he retires and with the waiver of Jefferson that puts the Spurs in the range of $58 million, under the tax threshold and 8 million available for a free agent signing with no MLE.
I didnt think of that. Does that mean we have a chance at chandler or Nene if we have a little over $7m to spend?

- Confucius
Old 12-07-11, 01:36 PM

Quote:
the free money we get to use isn't from the tax threshold, it's from the salary cap difference. we will have the MLE (if i'm not mistaken, the cap is around $58 million or so)
Old 12-07-11, 01:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
the free money we get to use isn't from the tax threshold, it's from the salary cap difference. we will have the MLE (if i'm not mistaken, the cap is around $58 million or so)
That sounds more like it. Was really hoping to use Rj and bonnet to net a big. Perhaps it still can happen.....

- Confucius
Old 12-07-11, 01:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
I didnt think of that. Does that mean we have a chance at chandler or Nene if we have a little over $7m to spend?
Why would we make the same mistake with either of those two that we just fixed with Jefferson.

Both of those guys are going to sign bloated deals that will tie up valuable cap room for their teams.

I wouldn't pay Nene more than 7 mill per year, but he will get more than that.

I wouldn't pay Chandler over 5 mil per year, but he will definitely get more than that.
Old 12-07-11, 01:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Do you think Ryan Richards or lorbek may be brought over if we do amnesty Rj and sign butler with the Mle? We won't have anything to offer new fa's if we give it all to butler.

- Confucius
Old 12-07-11, 01:44 PM

by the way, if Dice does retire, the best way to use his contract would be in a trade (ala Danny Ferry in the offseason after the 2003 season) over just having him off the books (but it depends on what the Spurs are going to do)
Old 12-07-11, 01:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Why would we make the same mistake with either of those two that we just fixed with Jefferson.

Both of those guys are going to sign bloated deals that will tie up valuable cap room for their teams.

I wouldn't pay Nene more than 7 mill per year, but he will get more than that.

I wouldn't pay Chandler over 5 mil per year, but he will definitely get more than that.
I can see your point about chandler but you better be kidding with nene. He's a stud all the way. Chandler as we all know is brittle, but will most certainly sign a contract at least in that range.

- Confucius
Old 12-07-11, 01:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
by the way, if Dice does retire, the best way to use his contract would be in a trade (ala Danny Ferry in the offseason after the 2003 season) over just having him off the books (but it depends on what the Spurs are going to do)
Thts what the rumored trade with Rj and bonner probably would have included. We still do have the trade exception attained from Indiana in the george hill trade right?

- Confucius
Old 12-07-11, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Thts what the rumored trade with Rj and bonner probably would have included. We still do have the trade exception attained from Indiana in the george hill trade right?
realistically though, no one was taking Jefferson. i honestly don't think he plays anywhere for more than $2 million a year (just an opinion on that, it seems everyone who talks about basketball and the people "in the know" are in a "stats be damned" attitude towards him). a Bonner/RJ package would be laughed at around the league (the 2 guys who are the biggest liabilities on our team). the Hill exception would be around $2 million? (that's how much he was earning i think), couple it up with Dice's contract would be around $7 mill in free money to use on a trade
Old 12-07-11, 02:10 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Caron Butler anyone?
Spurs Nation
Old 12-07-11, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Caron Butler anyone?
Spurs Nation
Michael please, we're still celebrating Jefferson getting kicked out j/k
Old 12-07-11, 02:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
realistically though, no one was taking Jefferson. i honestly don't think he plays anywhere for more than $2 million a year (just an opinion on that, it seems everyone who talks about basketball and the people "in the know" are in a "stats be damned" attitude towards him). a Bonner/RJ package would be laughed at around the league (the 2 guys who are the biggest liabilities on our team). the Hill exception would be around $2 million? (that's how much he was earning i think), couple it up with Dice's contract would be around $7 mill in free money to use on a trade
I'm sure there would be a taker in clippers for Kaman or jazz for Jefferson. Both teams have a plethora of big men. I will say that clippers are in the running in the cp3 trade talks and if they do somehow attain Paul, they'll either use Kaman in the deal or simply need him once d Jordan is traded. Either way, I'd think the jazz would be our best bet since kirilenko is a goner and they need to get rid of at least one big. The trade exception and McDyess contract (2.5 prior to season, $5m after) would be good for $4m plus whomever may be dealt

- Confucius
Old 12-07-11, 02:14 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Spurs to use amnesty clause on Jefferson - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

The San Antonio Spurs have decided to use their one-time amnesty clause on Richard Jefferson(notes) to waive their starting small forward, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The decision allows the Spurs to remove the three years and $30.5 million left on Jefferson’s contract from the team’s payroll for salary-cap and tax purposes. Jefferson will still be paid the $30.5 million.

More From Adrian WojnarowskiClips, Warriors, Celtics in Paul trade talks Dec 7, 2011 NBA teams to open camps Friday Dec 6, 2011 The Spurs are aggressively looking for a small forward, and removing Jefferson’s contract will allow them to spend the full $5 million midlevel exception for teams under the luxury-tax threshold. Spurs officials have met with Caron Butler(notes) and Josh Howard(notes).

Butler has been the Spurs’ primary target, but team officials have been speaking with agents about a number of different options. Before visiting San Antonio, Butler preferred the Chicago Bulls over the Spurs – both of which could use the midlevel exception on him, league sources said. Among teams which can offer him a contract greater than the midlevel, Butler prefers the Los Angeles Clippers over the New Jersey Nets.

After meeting with the Spurs, Butler tweeted: “Great visit. First class all the way.”

The Spurs also can play rookie Kawhi Leonard at small forward.

The Spurs acquired Jefferson from the Milwaukee Bucks in June 2009 and signed him to a four-year, $39 million extension before last season. Jefferson, 31, averaged 11.0 points and 3.8 rebounds last season. His 44 percent 3-point shooting ranked fifth in the NBA.
Old 12-07-11, 02:15 PM
Dead Man Walking

Can he re-sign with us for less? Not saying he would, but is that allowed?
Old 12-07-11, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-POST-Bob View Post
Can he re-sign with us for less? Not saying he would, but is that allowed?
Old 12-07-11, 02:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
No it's not bob

- Confucius
Old 12-07-11, 02:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

It is a shame that RJ didn't pan out as well as we'd all hope for. I wish him well. Question is if the Butler rumor is true, though explosive and in fact an inspirational player...will his size be a concern? What center is in the works? We need height peeps....whom can we get?
Old 12-07-11, 02:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Ill be real disappointed if using the entire Mle on butler is the best our FO can do. I'm hoping this is some sort of smokescreen o a trade cuz it sure makes Rj look bad if this is happening and doesn't help us winning another championship. I hope Friday brings happiness to us spurs fans cuz as of right now, the news ain't good. No way to get better if we use all our money on a sf when we need to get clearly bigger

- Confucius
Old 12-07-11, 02:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS CARRILLO View Post
It is a shame that RJ didn't pan out as well as we'd all hope for. I wish him well. Question is if the Butler rumor is true, though explosive and in fact an inspirational player...will his size be a concern? What center is in the works? We need height peeps....whom can we get?
Ryan Richards or erazam lorbek. Both players are overseas and need to be bought out. Maybe our FO can convince Joel pryzbilla to not retire

- Confucius

Last edited by spurduncan21; 12-07-11 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 02:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Do you think Ryan Richards or lorbek may be brought over if we do amnesty Rj and sign butler with the Mle? We won't have anything to offer new fa's if we give it all to butler.
Quote:
Ryan Richards or erazam lorbek. Both players are overseas and need to be bought out. Maybe our FO can convince Joel pryzbilla to not retire
I would love to get Lorbek in here right now. He would have an instant impact (as a role player), but you are right that they are both in the middle of their euro contracts. No lockout, and we might have Lorbek. He really wants to play in the NBA.
Old 12-07-11, 03:16 PM
SR Team Goof

From what footage I’ve seen of Lorbek, I’d love to have him on the roster as well. But isn’t he more of a finesse type player with a deadly outside shot? He doesn’t look big enough, bulk wise, to be a banger, which we need, or big enough to defend other bigs. Maybe convincing McDyess to stay one more year or bringing in Oberto (if he passes the physical) might fill the big player need for this shortened season.
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Old 12-07-11, 04:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Lorbek would help us out now whereas Richards would be assigned to Austin with the chance to possibly join the varsity later in the season. I'm sure Buford is at least thinking about one of them. If we use the entire Mle on butler, then we might have no choice but to think about buying at least one them out of their current contract overseas

- Confucius
Old 12-07-11, 04:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Just read a report on rotoworld that the spurs are interested in David west in a sign and trade. So maybe we won't amnesty Rj if we're able to trade him away.

- Confucius

Last edited by spurduncan21; 12-07-11 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Just read a repohater rotoworld that the spurs are interested in David west in a sign and trade. So maybe we won't amnesty Rj if we're able to trade him away.
no reason for N.O. to take Jefferson's 3 year contract for a sign and trade. they're better off with more younger cheaper players in a deal
Old 12-07-11, 05:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
no reason for N.O. to take Jefferson's 3 year contract for a sign and trade. they're better off with more younger cheaper players in a deal
I would agree but it all depends on the incoming players from a more than likely cp3 trade. So if they were to acquire a big and point guard to replace Paul, then they'd be more inclined to recieving Jefferson and floor spreading bonner. It's unlikely I know but I don't think our FO will simply amnesty Rj. I'm hoping they exhaust all options to rid themselves of his contract. Plus, if McDyess did inform the FO hell be retiring, than they would more than likely use his contract as well as the trade exception and parts for a potential trade don't u think?

- Confucius
Old 12-07-11, 05:35 PM
SR Team Goof

I've read in some articles speaking of the Lakers attempts to get both Howard and CP3, another team might be needed to smooth out the particulars. The Spurs wouldn't dream of helping LA by dangling RJ if they got a Bynum or Gasol in return, would they?
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Old 12-07-11, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I've read in some articles speaking of the Lakers attempts to get both Howard and CP3, another team might be needed to smooth out the particulars. The Spurs wouldn't dream of helping LA by dangling RJ if they got a Bynum or Gasol in return, would they?
we wouldn't be getting either of them in return. the 3rd team is usually the "throw in a trash contract in there to make it work and we'll give you a scrub or draft picks in return" type (i.e. a non contender).

don't count on Chris Paul going to the Lakers though. remember the Hornets are owned by the league so the other owners would have a say in this and would scream of this trade as an "inside job" since they're helping pay for the Hornets (think about what legal actions Mark Cuban would lead headlining the NBA being in collusion with the Lakers to monopolize the league).
Old 12-07-11, 05:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Would NOT surprise me to see RJ traded, unlike the ton of amnesty rumors flying now. The spurs we all know operate hush-hush to the last second then all hell breaks loose. Friday is the day the NBA landscape changes and its only Wednesday now. They can talk about giving Butler the MLE, but if they can trade parts along with McDyess expiring contract and the trade exception; they could conceivably net a great return such as D West or Kaman.

- Confucius
Old 12-07-11, 06:03 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
we wouldn't be getting either of them in return. the 3rd team is usually the "throw in a trash contract in there to make it work and we'll give you a scrub or draft picks in return" type (i.e. a non contender).

don't count on Chris Paul going to the Lakers though. remember the Hornets are owned by the league so the other owners would have a say in this and would scream of this trade as an "inside job" since they're helping pay for the Hornets (think about what legal actions Mark Cuban would lead headlining the NBA being in collusion with the Lakers to monopolize the league).
pffftttt they don't care... He's going to the Lakers!!!

Old 12-07-11, 06:25 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
pffftttt they don't care... He's going to the Lakers!!!
ICK YUCK PUCK ................BARF
Old 12-07-11, 08:18 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
ICK YUCK PUCK ................BARF

Old 12-07-11, 08:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This lets me know there is a God in heaven and he is listening to my prayers.:applause
Old 12-07-11, 09:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I can see your point about chandler but you better be kidding with nene. He's a stud all the way. Chandler as we all know is brittle, but will most certainly sign a contract at least in that range.
How is averaging 7 rebounds per game and 1 block per game a stud?

And these are career highs for him.

A stud averages 10 and 2. A stud averages 20 10 2!
Old 12-07-11, 09:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
How is averaging 7 rebounds per game and 1 block per game a stud?

And these are career highs for him.

A stud averages 10 and 2. A stud averages 20 10 2!
Referring to Nene there choppy

- Confucius
Old 12-08-11, 01:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If Butler didn't accept our offer verbally, this is a very bad decision for Spurs organization. Because:
1- They will pay 30M for the player which will not play. OK it comes off salary and luxury tax, but Spurs will pay the money at all. I don't know it will be trimmed or not when RJ signs with an other team. For example if he signs 3 years 15M contract with us, will we pay 30M to him or 15M?
2- This amnesty clause can be used once in next 10 years and the organization would need it in future.
3- RJ was a trade beit, despite his lucrative contract. I don't believe that none of the other 29 teams would get him in a trade. We would use him for a big man trade like Kaman.
4- We don't have anybody to use in trade right now and we should use our chance on free-agency by spending only MLE. When we look at history, only few populer free agents accepted us. If none of Butler, Josh Howard and Battier accepts us, we will have to play with a garbage player or rookie in SF position.

Last edited by tuncaboylu; 12-08-11 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-08-11, 09:02 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
If Butler didn't accept our offer verbally, this is a very bad decision for Spurs organization. Because:
1- They will pay 30M for the player which will not play. OK it comes off salary and luxury tax, but Spurs will pay the money at all. I don't know it will be trimmed or not when RJ signs with an other team. For example if he signs 3 years 15M contract with us, will we pay 30M to him or 15M?
2- This amnesty clause can be used once in next 10 years and the organization would need it in future.
3- RJ was a trade beit, despite his lucrative contract. I don't believe that none of the other 29 teams would get him in a trade. We would use him for a big man trade like Kaman.
4- We don't have anybody to use in trade right now and we should use our chance on free-agency by spending only MLE. When we look at history, only few populer free agents accepted us. If none of Butler, Josh Howard and Battier accepts us, we will have to play with a garbage player or rookie in SF position.

(Please someone correct me if I'm wrong)
From my understading, the Spurs FO will have to pay whatever his new contract doesn't cover. Let's say he signs a 3YR/15M contract with another team. That would mean the Spurs would have to cover the other 15M....so our best hope is for some team to actually sign him to a "hefty" contract. Of course, I doubt that will happen but you get the idea. I found an article that really explains it well. I will post on the forum when I find it
Old 12-08-11, 09:37 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
The amnesty clause is only valid for players currently signed. If RJ were to be traded, the other team cannot use the amnesty clause on him.

RJ, Bonner, Manu and Parker are the only long(ish) term contracts of any large(ish) amount. That's your list of Spurs amnesty candidates.
Old 12-08-11, 10:09 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:

One thing to consider about using the amnesty clause in the future is that future contracts will be a lot more limited in time (max 4 years for FA's from other teams) and in salary. So the odds of us having a bloated contract on the roster like RJ's 7 years from now are pretty low.

And I think if we could have gotten back a family pack of cold breakfast tacos for RJ, we would've taken it. I don't think he was at all trade bait with that salary. Unless you want to take back a corpse like Elton Brand.
Old 12-08-11, 11:20 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
One thing to consider about using the amnesty clause in the future is that future contracts will be a lot more limited in time (max 4 years for FA's from other teams) and in salary. So the odds of us having a bloated contract on the roster like RJ's 7 years from now are pretty low.

And I think if we could have gotten back a family pack of cold breakfast tacos for RJ, we would've taken it. I don't think he was at all trade bait with that salary. Unless you want to take back a corpse like Elton Brand.
The amnesty clause cannot be used on future contracts. It must have been signed during the previous CBA. Any and all contracts signed under the new CBA will not be eligible for amnesty.
Old 12-08-11, 04:59 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

^^ Thanks for the correction there. I am still trying to wrap my mind around all the changes.
Old 12-08-11, 05:43 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
@
@varner48MoH At some point, I think maybe they just don't amnesty RJ after all.

:shocked