LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-04, 08:56 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Boozer: I Want to Remain With Cavaliers

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...E&SECTION=HOME

Boozer: I Want to Remain With Cavaliers

By TOM WITHERS
AP Sports Writer

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Carlos Boozer's free agency should be short-lived. He isn't planning to go anywhere.

Boozer's contract option for next season wasn't picked up by the Cleveland Cavaliers before Wednesday's deadline, a surprising decision by the club, which immediately makes the third-year forward a restricted free agent.

Boozer, though, isn't interested in playing for any other team than the Cavaliers, who intend to sign him to a long-term deal sometime this summer.

"I want to be in Cleveland," Boozer said Thursday. "I like it here. My wife and I are very, very happy here, and I want to be with the Cavaliers. Good things are happening. Now it's up to my agent and the Cavs to work things out.

"I hope they will."

Agent Rob Pelinka has already begun contract talks with Cavs general manager Jim Paxson.

"Carlos and his wife, C.C., made it clear to me that they are very comfortable with the Cavaliers' organization, owner Gordon Gund and the direction the team is going," Pelinka said. "I'm confident that Jim and I will continue to have conversations and we'll be able to work something out."

The 6-foot-9 Boozer emerged as one of the NBA's rising stars with a breakout 2003-04 season. He averaged 15.5 points and 11.4 rebounds, and along with Rookie of the Year LeBron James, helped Cleveland improve its win total from 17 to 35 in one season.

Boozer was runner-up as the league's most improved player and was extended an invitation to play for the U.S. Olympic team in Athens next month.

Several media outlets reported that the Cavs had exercised Boozer's option.

However, the opposite occurred as the club decided not to pick up the final year of his deal - a bargain at roughly $700,000.

By not exercising the option, the Cavaliers are taking a calculated risk. Another team could swoop in and offer Boozer a gigantic deal, which the Cavaliers would be able to match.

But the club doesn't plan to let things get to that point. Once the NBA's moratorium period ends July 13, the Cavs will be able to offer Boozer a long-term contract.

"Yesterday, the Cavaliers elected not to exercise our team option for Carlos Boozer's third season," Paxson said in a statement. "As a result, we now are able, and fully intend, to enter into a long-term contract with Carlos.

" ... Carlos Boozer is a valuable, core part of the foundation of this team moving forward and our desire is for him to be a Cavalier for the long-term."

Under the league's collective bargaining agreement, the Cavaliers can only give the former Duke star a deal starting at the mid-level exception, which will be about $5 million a season. The contract can be for a maximum of six years.

If the Cavs had picked up Boozer's option, he would have been an unrestricted free agent after next season.

Boozer feels a loyalty to the Cavaliers, who drafted him in the second round (No. 35 overall) in the 2002 draft. They see him - along with James - as cornerstones of their future.

"I'm thankful for everything the Cavs have done for me," Boozer said. "A lot of teams didn't think I was worth it and let me slide into the second round. But they were the ones who gave me a chance and let me play as a rookie.

"That doesn't happen much in this league - unless you're LeBron."

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old 07-01-04, 09:16 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
"I want to be in Cleveland," Boozer said Thursday. "I like it here. My wife and I are very, very happy here, and I want to be with the Cavaliers. Good things are happening. Now it's up to my agent and the Cavs to work things out.

"I hope they will."

damn, how many times have I heard that before?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-04, 09:17 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
damn, how many times have I heard that before?
Jax, Nash, T-Mac

I hope that I will not put Manu name here
Old 07-01-04, 10:21 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

the cavs can only offer the mle

I will be surprised if he is still a cav next year
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-04, 10:33 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

hmmmm....I just realized.

isn't Boozer a Coach K player?

Cavs may have made a mistake if LA picks him up for the MLE.
Old 07-01-04, 10:35 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Cavs can match an MLE offer.
Old 07-01-04, 10:38 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpDumper
Cavs can match an MLE offer.
Thanks.
I read thru that too fast to fully pay attention.

Many things are occurring and damn, it's only July 1.
Old 07-01-04, 10:41 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

with these free agents...its all jargon and pure b.s. "i want to remain here" my ass...they're all chasing the same Nickel.. put yourself in that position and you're gonna go get the biggest and best deal for you. Its surprising to see a player take less and remain loyal to a team instead of chasing big bucks....I remember Bowen took less when he was out there to come to S.A.
Usually, its about the biggest deal offered...where there's the most money they sign
Old 07-02-04, 12:55 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Boozer looks to me like a poor man's Elton Brand. He'd be a very nice pick-up for SA. Don't know quite how that could happen, but I'm sure the Spur FO has a contingency plan that could cover this.

A youngster like Boozer and a three-big-man rotation of him TD and Rasho (with K Will on the deep bench) eliminates the need for Horry and Malik.
Old 07-02-04, 01:37 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I would love it if Boozer came here.

But its pretty unlikely at this point.
Old 07-02-04, 02:17 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1
Boozer looks to me like a poor man's Elton Brand. He'd be a very nice pick-up for SA. Don't know quite how that could happen, but I'm sure the Spur FO has a contingency plan that could cover this.

A youngster like Boozer and a three-big-man rotation of him TD and Rasho (with K Will on the deep bench) eliminates the need for Horry and Malik.
Boozer would eliminate the "need" for a better outside shooter also.

He's the type of player I've been eluding about regarding the question...if the Spurs could get a Boozer type of post player...would they really need a better shooting perimeter player?

Lots of options for the Spurs to improve this off season...and it just doesn't lie in getting a shooter. (The Spurs already have several).

What this team needs more IMHO is another post player that can put up points in the paint thus helping to eliviate some of the pressure on Tim.

In the Spurs system...Etan Thomas would be such a player as well IMHO.
Old 07-02-04, 02:22 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

SF4L: I don't know a great deal about Boozer's game. Are you saying that he's got an effective jumper? Could play high-low with TD? Could stretch the opponent's interior D (e.g., open some driving lanes for guys like TP, Manu and Hedo)? If that's the case, I'd sign on in a minute.
Old 07-02-04, 03:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I like everything about Boozer. He is extremely intelligent, hard working, and down to earth.

He would be a perfect partner in the paint for Tim. But get Manu locked up first.
Old 07-02-04, 01:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i don't think that boozer would eliminate a need for an outside shooter at all. teams are still able to pack the paint and unless boozer has added a 3 pt shot over the summer the spurs would still need a shooter.

plus boozer should be a starter in this league, not a reserve. with rasho in the picture this guy makes absolutely zero sense for the spurs.

i always thought a guy like boozer/brand/oakley would be perfect next to duncan but we have rasho b/c tim wanted another 7 footer so oh well.
Old 07-02-04, 04:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I DO!!!!

Quote:
SF4L: I don't know a great deal about Boozer's game. Are you saying that he's got an effective jumper? Could play high-low with TD? Could stretch the opponent's interior D (e.g., open some driving lanes for guys like TP, Manu and Hedo)? If that's the case, I'd sign on in a minute.
Imagine the strength and tenacity of Elton Brand. He's durable, and poised. He's has more body control than Brand when recieving the ball on the break, and not alot of big men are (not that he's big). He just doesn't get the ball alot in Silas' offensive set. He's just an all around stud outside of his J.
Old 07-03-04, 01:52 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Sorry to respond so late to this quote.

What I'm sayin g is a player like Boozer would help eliviate some of the pressure on Duncan (who by the way is our only inside precense to score)

The Spurs...with Ginobili( if he is resigned), Parker, Turkoglu, Brown, Bowen and with our new aquisitions of Beno and Sato....have enough fire power from the perimeter.

What the Spurs DON"T have is somebody to compliment Duncan's inside game.

Therefore I think the Spurs would do much better in acquiring another "inside" precense such as Boozer (or Etan Thomas) to improve this team more so than going after another "perimeter" player when the Spurs at this point have all the perimeter players it can handle in tryin gto fit into the rotation.

Other than Duncan...the Spurs lack severely at having somebody in the post to warrant other teams to defend accordingly.
Old 07-03-04, 02:03 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Thanx for the update, SF4L. I see your point, and would be perfectly willing to go that way (if I had any say).

But I do question whether the Spurs have enough perimeter firepower. Tony shows some outside shooting flashes, as do Manu, Hedo and BB. But none of them is consistent (see the recent LA series).
Old 07-03-04, 02:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Thanx for the update, SF4L. I see your point, and would be perfectly willing to go that way (if I had any say).

But I do question whether the Spurs have enough perimeter firepower. Tony shows some outside shooting flashes, as do Manu, Hedo and BB. But none of them is consistent (see the recent LA series).
Perimeter fire power is something the Spurs have plenty of. It was unfortunate that that "fire power" didn't transend itself against LA.

But, IMHO, that was because hitting the perimeter shot was made all to important to happen because there wasn't enough "fire power" from the post to allow those attempting their shots from the outside to feel comfortable.

It became more of a "have to make that shot" scenerio rather than the shot flowing freely when given the chance.

Another inside precense to warrant opposing teams to "have" to focus on other than Duncan would have made the "perimeter" attempts more productive.

Plus the fact that having such a precense other than Duncan in the post would almost completely eliviate the lock down other teams utelize to shut down our perimeter play.
Old 07-03-04, 02:26 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I just think having two guys in the low post would make it easier to pack the defense inside. Poor spacing.
Old 07-03-04, 02:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I just think having two guys in the low post would make it easier to pack the defense inside. Poor spacing.
The spacing is poor enough with just double teaming Duncan.

Having another viable option in the post helps "spread" the D in the post (if played right) thus allowing more opportunity for everybody involved on the offense.

Realistically...if Tim had the support of another offensive threat from inside...eventually teams would have to honor that threat and not play so tight on Tim in the post.

Thus openning even more opportunity for that other post player as well as "bettter" opportunity for our perimeter players as well.

I'm not opposed to solidifying a proven perimeter player to join the Spurs...but wouldn't be offended if the Spurs went this route either.
Old 07-03-04, 02:35 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Realistically...if Tim had the support of another offensive threat from inside...eventually teams would have to honor that threat and not play so tight on Tim in the post.
Or if the outside shooters actually made shots, they would have to honor that threat and move even farther away from Duncan.
Old 07-03-04, 02:36 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Well, when Rasho began games hitting one or two jumpers from the FT line, everything opened up for the slashers. When he missed those shots, the Lakers were able to pack down low. That's why I asked about Boozer's ability to hit the open J from 10-15 feet.

I do see your point, SF4L, and although ChumpD's point is well taken, I don't disagree with you.
Old 07-03-04, 02:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Or if the outside shooters actually made shots, they would have to honor that threat and move even farther away from Duncan.
True.

But it still remains a fact that the Spurs have plenty of "outside" shooting possibilities yet only 1 "viable" inside precense in Duncan.

Another player that could help eliviate some of that pressure away from Duncan in the post would help open possibilities for all on the team.
Old 07-03-04, 02:45 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
But it still remains a fact that the Spurs have plenty of "outside" shooting possibilities
Possibilities < > made baskets.
Old 07-03-04, 02:47 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Specifically then, does Boozer have any range on his J? Is Rasho spending this summer working on his? I'm not suggesting that either guy would be relied uopn as a jump-shooter, but having a big who can hit open Js from 8-10 feet at a 40-45% clip (I keep recalling DRob's rainbow jumpers from that range) would solve all the problems we're discussing.