News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-30-11, 02:32 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Another Trade Opinion - 4 Teams

Just thought I'd throw out another trade idea from the ones that are already floating around.

Spurs Receive:
Antawn Jamison
Paul Millsap
Devin Harris
2nd round pick from Cleveland (32nd overall)

Cavs Receive:
Tony Parker
1st round pick from Utah Jazz (12th overall)

Pistons Receive:
Richard Jefferson
Antonio McDyess

Jazz Receive:
1st overall pick from Cavs
8th overall pick from Pistons
Richard Hamilton

Why Spurs do it?
They get a guy who is extending his shooting to become a better 3-pt shooter and can give you 5/6 rebounds a game (Millsap). Devin Harris's shooting percentage has been going down, but you would think that playing with Duncan would open up a few things for him and Pop would have to tell him to shoot less 3 pointers which should help bring up his shooting percentage. Jamison is getting old but could help to provide some size against the likes of Dirk and Odom while giving the Spurs someone who can spread the floor a little bit.

Why Cavs do it?
They get a top flight PG without having to use their trade exception. And can use the 12th pick and their 4th pick to get the 2nd pick and Derrick Williams.

Why the Pistons do it?
The reason why the Pistons seemingly are backing away from the 3-way trade between themselves, the Cavs, and the T-Wolves is b/c they believe they can get a veteran player in return. Here they get Jefferson as insurance for Tayshaun leaving. Probably would buyout McDyess. And of course they get to get rid of Hamilton.

Why the Jazz do it?
They want to get Derrick Favors more draft picks and Okur is coming back, they have a logjam at the 4. They can get rid of him and Devin Harris who has not really fit in with their team. With the first overall they can pick Kyrie Irving. And they get to move up 4 spots. They can decide whether they want to keep Rip or buy him out.

Spurs draft Darius Morris, Jimmy Butler, and a foreign player to send overseas with their 3 draft picks. Morris has excellent court vision and size but needs some time to improve his shooting a little more. Given that Harris is signed on for two years and with Hill here, it gives Morris the time he needs to work on his game.

Spurs line-up:
C - Duncan/Splitter
PF - Millsap/Blair/Bonner/Novak
SF- Jamison/Anderson/DeSean Butler or Green/Jimmy Butler
SG - Ginobili/Neal
PG - Harris/Hill/Morris
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-30-11, 03:34 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsmaniac36 View Post
Just thought I'd throw out another trade idea from the ones that are already floating around.

Spurs Receive:
Antawn Jamison
Paul Millsap
Devin Harris
2nd round pick from Cleveland (32nd overall)

Cavs Receive:
Tony Parker
1st round pick from Utah Jazz (12th overall)

Pistons Receive:
Richard Jefferson
Antonio McDyess

Jazz Receive:
1st overall pick from Cavs
8th overall pick from Pistons
Richard Hamilton

Why Spurs do it?
They get a guy who is extending his shooting to become a better 3-pt shooter and can give you 5/6 rebounds a game (Millsap). Devin Harris's shooting percentage has been going down, but you would think that playing with Duncan would open up a few things for him and Pop would have to tell him to shoot less 3 pointers which should help bring up his shooting percentage. Jamison is getting old but could help to provide some size against the likes of Dirk and Odom while giving the Spurs someone who can spread the floor a little bit.

Why Cavs do it?
They get a top flight PG without having to use their trade exception. And can use the 12th pick and their 4th pick to get the 2nd pick and Derrick Williams.

Why the Pistons do it?
The reason why the Pistons seemingly are backing away from the 3-way trade between themselves, the Cavs, and the T-Wolves is b/c they believe they can get a veteran player in return. Here they get Jefferson as insurance for Tayshaun leaving. Probably would buyout McDyess. And of course they get to get rid of Hamilton.

Why the Jazz do it?
They want to get Derrick Favors more draft picks and Okur is coming back, they have a logjam at the 4. They can get rid of him and Devin Harris who has not really fit in with their team. With the first overall they can pick Kyrie Irving. And they get to move up 4 spots. They can decide whether they want to keep Rip or buy him out.

Spurs draft Darius Morris, Jimmy Butler, and a foreign player to send overseas with their 3 draft picks. Morris has excellent court vision and size but needs some time to improve his shooting a little more. Given that Harris is signed on for two years and with Hill here, it gives Morris the time he needs to work on his game.

Spurs line-up:
C - Duncan/Splitter
PF - Millsap/Blair/Bonner/Novak
SF- Jamison/Anderson/DeSean Butler or Green/Jimmy Butler
SG - Ginobili/Neal
PG - Harris/Hill/Morris
I like how you broke it down to make sense of it. The one thing that gets me is the Cavs trading the #1 overall pick versus the #4 overall pick. I don't see that but I can see pick #4 being moved. Why also do the Cavs get TP and they already have B. Diddy? Not knocking your idea just throwing stuff out there. Please include Matt Bonner next time!......lol
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-30-11, 05:43 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
I like how you broke it down to make sense of it. The one thing that gets me is the Cavs trading the #1 overall pick versus the #4 overall pick. I don't see that but I can see pick #4 being moved. Why also do the Cavs get TP and they already have B. Diddy? Not knocking your idea just throwing stuff out there. Please include Matt Bonner next time!......lol
Thanks for the input. The Cavs clearly don't believe Baron is the PG of the future given their desire to get a guy like Kyrie Irving. Parker would just give them a top flight PG right away and Baron can be the 6th man. Parker would be there in the prime of his career and having the 4th and 12th picks they can still get Derrick Williams to pair with Parker. It just helps them move their rebuilding forward a little quicker and gives them a proven commodity.

The reason for giving the #1 overall versus the #4 is b/c with the #1 Utah can get the best PG in the draft. If they were given the #4 pick, Minnesota would probably pick Irving after the Cavs would pick Derrick Williams with the #1 overall. That would leave the Jazz with Knight or Walker for their #3 pick. Now if the Jazz believe that those two are just as good as Irving, then they would be just as ready to join in on the trade. But I think most teams put Irving as the clear #1 PG so I included the #1 in the scenario but the trade would work even with the #4.
Old 05-31-11, 04:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Utah isn't trading Milsap,
The cavs aren't trading their #1 pick for the #12 and Tony Parker, and the Spurs aren't trading Tony Parker for Devin "can't shoot" Harris, and they aren't getting involved in a 3 team trade.

Plus, we aren't better with the players we would get. Harris is a serious downgrade from Parker, Neither Milsap nor Jamison qualify as athletic PF's that Pop says we need, and none of the players help us improve our defense over what we have now.

Horrible Idea.
Old 05-31-11, 08:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
The cavs aren't trading their #1 pick for the #12 and Tony Parker, and the Spurs aren't trading Tony Parker for Devin "can't shoot" Harris, and they aren't getting involved in a 3 team trade.

Plus, we aren't better with the players we would get. Harris is a serious downgrade from Parker, Neither Milsap nor Jamison qualify as athletic PF's that Pop says we need, and none of the players help us improve our defense over what we have now.

Horrible Idea.
Old 06-01-11, 04:37 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post

Horrible Idea.
-Utah isn't trading Millsap - Really? You don't think that having Jefferson and their future PF in Derrick Favors would compel them to see if they can find value for someone who is likely to be their 6th man? Cause I kind of think that for the chance at getting the #1 they would listen to offers for a 6th man.

-Cavs aren't trading #1 for Parker and #12. Well they are supposed to use the #1 to get a PG, so I think they might be open to the possibility of getting a top 5-7 PG in the league while giving up that pick.

-I acknowledged that Harris's shooting has gotten worse since leaving Dallas, but that I think has a lot to do with him being asked to be the primary scoring option in NJ. He is not that type of player and you have to make sure that he shoots less 3s going forward like they did with Parker and that should bring his shooting percentage up.

-Spurs aren't getting involved in a 3-team trade - Completely agree. That's why I proposed a 4-team trade.

-I agree that Harris is a downgrade from Parker but do you really expect to get an equal PG in return for Parker cause I don't. And Jamison would be asked to play SF for the most part here. Now I agree that I'm not sure how much he can handle this but its not like RJ is a monster defensively, we would just have to play better team defense and I think Jamison's size would help with that. Plus he is a better rebounder than Jefferson and defensive possessions are supposed to end with rebounds. Plus I think that Millsap is a better athlete than Blair and a much better scorer. Not only a better scorer but a better score that can shoot from the outside and compliment Splitter/Blair/Duncan. And from reports he is trying to improve his 3 point shooting.

I think you would definitely lose a lot of scoring with this trade but I think that can be mitigated a little bit by Millsap's scoring and (if he can be controlled Harris's scoring). In conclusion, I disagree that this is a horrible idea.