News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-17-11, 11:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

How about a Spurs/Lakers Trade?

Tony Parker for Pau Gasol?!? I think this trade would work for both teams, Lakers badly need a pg while we need a quality big man. What do you guys think?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-17-11, 11:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The problem with that is that we would plug a hole while creating another one
Old 05-17-11, 11:52 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemxcan View Post

Thats what i keep trying to tell people, people are anxious to trade TP, but it would leave an restounding hole on the team.

I'm Batman's cousin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-18-11, 12:32 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

From the LA TIMES (same idea below):

http://articles.latimes.com/print/20...akers-20110510

Where do the Lakers go from here? A five-step plan
MARK HEISLER / ON THE NBA

After their second-round playoff flameout, the Lakers have a lot of decisions ahead, primarily involving systems and personnel. But everything springs from the first one: picking a new coach.
May 09, 2011|Mark Heisler

So that truck finally backed up to the loading dock in Lakerdom.

In your dreams.

Whatever happens won't be as dramatic as the Lakers would like, or as soon.

Their future revolves around questions they couldn't answer now if a genie popped out of the water barrel and gave them three wishes.

They didn't get old overnight, can't get young by fall — and trying may mean cutting off better options.

This isn't a fantasy league or talk radio jocks doing their Queen-of-Hearts off-with-their-heads number, like ESPN 710's Dave Miller, bumped up to community spokesman for an appearance on the mother ship, "SportsCenter."

"A large majority was disgusted with Andrew Bynum's stupid foul," Miller reported of his audience.

"It was a disgrace to the Lakers and an embarrassment to the league and I really heard no remorse in his postgame comments."

Happily for Lakers fans who weren't stuck in traffic, a stupid foul as darkness fell over the land will mean less to team officials than things like talent, age and size.

Two Lakers aren't going anywhere:

•Kobe Bryant, who's Kobe Bryant . . . limited as he may have been by that ankle (five makes inside 10 feet in the Dallas series?).

•Bynum, who's 23 and goes 7-1, 275.

Aside from being beloved by Jim Buss, he's their biggest, best and most physical big man and the only one who busted it at the end, going out on the floor, jumping in passing lanes.

Building around Bynum means assuming the risk of injury — but I think they will, as long as he's upright.

Not that anyone is likely to go anywhere soon.

The NBA lockout will freeze everything on July 1.

Uncertainty is likely to paralyze everything until then.

In any case, the Lakers have to pick a coach first, since it means picking a system.

The roster got so old and slow because it was set up to run the triangle offense.

(Former coach Phil Jackson's Bulls won titles No. 4-6 with even older teams, with Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Ron Harper and Dennis Rodman 35-32-34-37 at the end of their run in 1998.)

Jerry Buss, who wants something more "Showtime," tried to junk the triangle after showing Jackson the door in 2004.

Now unless they go with Brian Shaw . . . a longer shot after they went down in flames than it would have been if they'd won a title . . . the triangle is gonzo.

So Decisions Nos. 1-2 are intertwined:

Who's the new coach and what's the new system?

I'm guessing they go outside (choose one: Doc Rivers, Rick Adelman, Larry Brown) and go up-tempo.

That would make Decision No. 3:

Where do they get a point guard?

In the triangle, "initiator" Derek Fisher made the first pass and went off the ball, a role that didn't require a Chris Paul or Deron Williams.

If they abandon the triangle, Paul and Williams may jump over Dwight Howard on their wish list.

Unfortunately for the Lakers, Knicks, et al., the prize 2012 free agents aren't going anywhere in 2011.

The NBA won't let Paul out of New Orleans until it sells the team, one more thing awaiting a labor deal.

Orlando is adamant about keeping Howard, as is New Jersey about Williams.

So Decision No. 4 for the Lakers is:

Do they make a big move now or wait for Paul, Williams or Howard next summer?

If they wait, Decision No. 5 becomes:

What do they do for a point guard in the meantime?

Let's take a look at the teams with more than one:

Denver — Ty Lawson is the Nuggets' guy. Ray Felton can be had.

San Antonio — Tony Parker makes a lot of money for someone with a backup the Spurs love (George Hill), could be available although the Spurs would have to get back a real prize — Pau Gasol? — to deal with the Lakers.

In the East: Jose Calderon, Toronto; Chauncey Billups, New York; Jamal Crawford, Atlanta; Ramon Sessions, Cleveland; Will Bynum, Detroit.

In the most important decision of all:

Will the Busses run their wishes by the basketball people for a reality check this time?

In 2004, Jerry and Jim, harking back to some gauzy memory of Showtime, decided they wanted to run, as in the '80s.

Unfortunately for them, the game had changed dramatically. You could no longer get the ball off the defensive board, outlet it to someone like Magic Johnson and know you'd come down 3-on-2 or 2-on-1.

The game had slowed. Offenses emphasized shooting and spacing, with two players spotted up on the arc who dropped back against fastbreaks.

If hiring Rudy Tomjanovich was OK, his $6-million salary — as much as Jackson had been getting — was on the high side, by a factor of two.

Jim reportedly told his sister, Jeanie, that that was what coaches made.

Who knows how close they get to their miracle turnaround if Rudy T doesn't go over the hill, three months into his five-year, $30-million deal.

When Jackson said he was open to returning, Jim and Jerry were obliged to take him back.

Then all it took was drafting Bynum at No. 10 in 2005, chilling out Kobe in 2007 and landing Gasol in 2008.

Better think this one over, guys.
Old 05-18-11, 06:39 AM
SR Team Goof

I didn't like Pau Gasol when he played for Memphis and I still don't like him. In fact the Lakers don't have anybody I'd like to see in the silver and black in exchange for TP. I wouldn't want to contribute to a Laker recovery anyway.
Old 05-18-11, 10:23 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

It's the Lakers.

Still, very intriguing. Not like we are going to land an all-star big man any other way than moving TP.
Old 05-18-11, 11:03 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Gasol/artest for parker/jefferson would work salary wise. Plus we got to get back to being a defensive team history shows that offense dont win championships e.g suns & post dallas. lets face it, i'd rather have artest's defense than rj's no show anyday
Old 05-18-11, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemxcan View Post
yes and no. we'll be downgrading on point guard, but as far as a "hole", it wouldn't be like trading Parker for a Kevin Love (as an example). Gasol is a guy like Duncan was: a player who can create his own shot (unlike trading for a big who is a cleanup guy and a jump shooter who needs someone to create for him). as much as Hill sucked, he wouldn't need to do much if Gasol was on the team (kind of like when Parker didn't have the burden of offense on him during the 2003-2006 years when we'd go 4 Down or a pick and roll/isolation for Ginobili). Gasol has proved he can play with a point guard who doesn't have much offense in Derek Fisher. this isn't much of a hole as people think. if they were to keep Bynum, then you'd also be talking about 3 players who need to dominate the ball to create (Parker/Bryant/Bynum) and that wouldn't be too ideal with those 3 and their egos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmanu20 View Post
Gasol/artest for parker/jefferson would work salary wise. Plus we got to get back to being a defensive team history shows that offense dont win championships e.g suns & post dallas. lets face it, i'd rather have artest's defense than rj's no show anyday
even if it would work, i doubt that a team would want to trade for a duo who can't play together. Jefferson's admitted it's hard to play with Parker because he's not looking for others and the offense is too stagnant for him. it'd work if we'd throw Ginobili in there since Jefferson has said he can play next to him (same with Parker/Ginobili in a trade), but this is a tough trade to pull off unless there's a team who's so bad they want average to good players to just win some games and fans over.
Old 05-19-11, 08:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

TP running the triangle (provided Shaw takes the helm)? Yeah right.
Old 05-19-11, 01:47 PM
The Eternal Optimist

trade is for the wrong Gasol. Do not like trading TP, period. Marc has much more upside and it would probably require at least Tony Allen to make the numbers work. (not a bad throw in by the way.) lol Can envision a few other trades before Tony P would go.
Old 05-19-11, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
trade is for the wrong Gasol. Do not like trading TP, period. Marc has much more upside and it would probably require at least Tony Allen to make the numbers work. (not a bad throw in by the way.) lol Can envision a few other trades before Tony P would go.
i agree Marc has more upside but we can't afford that trade (it would take 2 of the Big 3 for it to work and i doubt they'd even take that with the money he'll command) and we're not looking to make a trade for the future, as far as upsides go. we need someone established who can help us win in 1-2 years and that's what Pau brings in (in a cheaper price for the long run). once Manu/Duncan retire, a Marc Gasol/Tony Parker tandem isn't getting us anywhere besides an 8th seed at the best.
Old 05-19-11, 09:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Honestly, I think they should have traded him at midseason when they had the chance. The deal I believe was Derrick Favors (a future up and coming potential Dwight Howard) + Devin Harris for Tony Parker and a filler maybe it was Blair. Not sure. But if that deal was on the table it looks like we passed up on a chance to get younger for the future. Hindsights 20/20 but we stuck with what we had for nothing.
Old 05-19-11, 10:53 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk2051 View Post
Honestly, I think they should have traded him at midseason when they had the chance. The deal I believe was Derrick Favors (a future up and coming potential Dwight Howard) + Devin Harris for Tony Parker and a filler maybe it was Blair. Not sure. But if that deal was on the table it looks like we passed up on a chance to get younger for the future. Hindsights 20/20 but we stuck with what we had for nothing.
I would have taken that trade there. Damn they passed up on that.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.