News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-11, 06:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

5 Ways the Memphis Grizzlies Could Beat the San Antonio Spurs in the Playoffs

slide show here:

5 Ways the Memphis Grizzlies Could Beat the San Antonio Spurs in the Playoffs | Bleacher Report

There is a high chance that the Memphis Grizzlies will play the basically flawless San Antonio Spurs in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs.
There is also a high chance that the San Antonio Spurs will win this series.
This doesn't make anything definite, however.
A good-looking Memphis team has what it takes to stick it to the Spurs, and following these five game plans will help lead them to an upset of the ages.

Sure, Marc Gasol may become the Grizzlies' most useful asset throughout the series, but Memphis doesn't stand a chance unless the game plan revolves around this guy: Mike Conley.
What this means is that Conley needs to be dishing assists that are both low-risk and high-success rates.
If other players pull a LeBron James and suddenly decide they're the point guard for this team, the balance of Memphis won't just be messed up.
All the Spurs' burly defense has to do is cover them, and the rest will be history.

We all know Tim Duncan's seemingly patented spin to pull-up jumper move that is extremely effective.
It's even more impressive that he's been doing it as long as most of us can remember, and it's still rarely been stopped.
If the Memphis Grizzlies organization is under the impression it can win without controlling Tim Duncan in the low post, it has a lot to understand before playoff tipoff.
Marc, the lesser known of the Gasol brothers, needs to make a name for himself in this series.
Body up Tim Duncan, play dirty and don't let him spin and pull up without strong contesting on each shot attempt.
Then we'll talk about winning a seven-game series.

Mike Conley: Three years
Marc Gasol: Two years
Xavier Henry: Rookie
OJ Mayo: Two years
Sam Young: One year

Tim Duncan: 13 years
Manu Ginobili: Eight years
Richard Jefferson: Nine years
Antonio McDyess: 14 years
Tony Parker: Nine years

The years say it all. Mike Conley and Marc Gasol can't let their minds get set on—even for a second—their intimidation for the Spurs players, who have been around the block quite a few times.
That will psyche them out and hurt their chances at winning.

The Spurs have a lot more star power than Randolph's Grizzlies. With Rudy Gay out for the season, Zach Randolph will have to adopt a role as a star if the Grizzlies plan on winning this seven-game series.
We're talking double-doubles every night, blocks and simply game-changing physical aggression.
As stated previously, Randolph should be playing around Mike Conley, but that is so Randolph can be set up with more efficient opportunities.
And if he fails to make the best of them, the Grizzlies will fail to beat the Spurs in a series.

Though I don't literally mean "eliminate," there are a lot of steps the Grizzlies will have to take to stop Manu and Tony.
While they have to enclose the perimeter so these two speed demons can't drive to the hoop for acrobatic finishes, the perimeter also has to be guarded, because a lot of players on the Spurs will pull up from three-point land.
They really do it all, and will go down as one of the best guard duos in league history, regardless of what the Grizzlies are able to do.
But if the Grizzlies want to win this series, they're going to have to contain them.

Prediction:

The Grizzlies have what it takes to beat the Spurs here.
While I don't see intimidation as a huge disadvantage—and I can even see Zach Randolph coming up big—I'm not so confident that the team can consistently play the right way around Mike Conley.
I definitely don't see both Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker being shut down.

Spurs 4, Grizzlies 1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-10-11, 08:47 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Fair enough. There are no easy first rounds in the West. They all stand a chance of being good series.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-10-11, 10:20 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Good article and while the Spurs could sweep I do think with Randolph out there he some how always goes wild on the Spurs and 4-1 is more realistic
Old 04-10-11, 02:10 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

I'm kind of leaning Spurs in 6
Old 04-10-11, 07:14 PM
SR Team Goof

If the Spurs don't fall asleep like they did last year against Phoenix and play Spurs basketball with focus, they will walk through this playoff and bring their 5th championship back to San Antonio.
Old 04-10-11, 07:36 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
If the Spurs don't fall asleep like they did last year against Phoenix and play Spurs basketball with focus, they will walk through this playoff and bring their 5th championship back to San Antonio.
the spurs didn't fall asleep against the suns, the spurs overachieved that year and the suns were just the better team.

i think the spurs win in 6.
this series is going to be very interesting to watch and will not be a slam dunk for the spurs in anyway. if Memphis were a team that was in a bigger market they would be a getting a lot more attention right now.
However the spurs have the better overall team and memphis would have to overachieve just to push the series to 7 games, zach randolph would to play out of his mid the whole entire series for the grizzlies to stand a chance.
This being tim duncan's last stand, I dont see the spurs losing in the first round no matter who we play.
Old 04-10-11, 07:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I see the Spurs winning, just would like to play a less physical team.
Old 04-10-11, 09:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I would say a 5gms series if we play them!!!

This team is dued for their first-ever playoff game win, but that's it!!!

Simply because they won't have the difference-maker in R.Gay

I can even envision that we'll lose GM4 in Memphis after we gain the 3-0 lead in the series!
Old 04-11-11, 04:47 PM
Herman Cain of the board

The only reason they could beat the Spurs would be Zach Randolph. Point blank. They have no answer for him.
Old 04-11-11, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
The only reason they could beat the Spurs would be Zach Randolph. Point blank. They have no answer for him.
we used to have an answer to him before Memphis: going small. he was dominating us in Portland and Pop put Bruce on them. i think that's the best solution to the Randolph problem. if we put RJ on him, it'll be a harder post up (than Bonner) and he'd have to move to the 3 point line in the paint on defense.