News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-11, 10:42 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

10 Reasons TP is the most underrated PG in the NBA

San Antonio Spurs: 10 Reasons Tony Parker Is the Most Underrated PG in the NBA | Bleacher Report

Ezra Shaw/Getty Images
When the roster for the 2011 NBA All-Star Game was finalized, there was not as much debate about who was on the list compared to who wasn't. One name some journalists felt was missing was San Antonio Spurs point guard Tony Parker.

Already a three-time All Star in a conference packed with talent, it wasn't much of a surprise he was left out, and those voted in ahead of him were definitely worthy.

However, Parker's name has become somewhat lost over the last couple of years despite his major role in leading the Spurs on a tear through the regular season.

Here are ten reasons why Tony Parker is the most underrated point guard in a league loaded with talent.
Old 02-11-11, 11:17 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I do think TP is underrated. He has gone from being the "in" point guard to an afterthought, and he's playing better than he ever has.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-11-11, 11:20 AM

10) his speed is not under appreciated, everyone knows when you think of his best trait, it's his speed
9) pump fakes? lol the ability to create his own shot is because of #10
8) his passing is decent, but 14th is still decent with 32 other starting PG's and on this team, where i think he could be getting more assists personally
7) his outside shooting depends on #10. you either give him the shot or get burned by his speed
6) his defense is good at times, horrid at times too (he plays good D on Fisher like on that pic, but Fisher isn't exactly the most talented point on offense)
5) that's why i think he flourishes. he's not the focal point on our offense, although i don't think (this year) the other 2 are either. i think our team is so balanced you can't pick out a focal point.
4) leadership? he was the MVP because of his speed in 2007 and the mismatch it created, but those were all plays to himself (which isn't a bad thing considering the mismatch is in our favor of course). but he's the third leader at best. Duncan has always been #1 and Ginobili has risen to the second leader on this team.
3) injury riddled season = motivation for the next season and glad he showed it this year
2) he helped create that trade rumor bananza with his wanting to play in New Yoork. the media helped blow it out of proportion, but he still didn't help it with his comments and Eva sticking her sexy nose in the Spurs' business
1) and boom! the most important reason he's underrated: because he's a Spur!

good points overall, but i still hate how Bleacher Report ends seemingly good articles on weak points. glad Parker is flourishing this year too, we've needed all our Big 3 and Richie Jeffie to be good this year and it's paid off
Old 02-11-11, 11:23 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-11-11, 11:24 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
10) his speed is not under appreciated, everyone knows when you think of his best trait, it's his speed
9) pump fakes? lol the ability to create his own shot is because of #10
8) his passing is decent, but 14th is still decent with 32 other starting PG's and on this team, where i think he could be getting more assists personally
7) his outside shooting depends on #10. you either give him the shot or get burned by his speed
6) his defense is good at times, horrid at times too (he plays good D on Fisher like on that pic, but Fisher isn't exactly the most talented point on offense)
5) that's why i think he flourishes. he's not the focal point on our offense, although i don't think (this year) the other 2 are either. i think our team is so balanced you can't pick out a focal point.
4) leadership? he was the MVP because of his speed in 2007 and the mismatch it created, but those were all plays to himself (which isn't a bad thing considering the mismatch is in our favor of course). but he's the third leader at best. Duncan has always been #1 and Ginobili has risen to the second leader on this team.
3) injury riddled season = motivation for the next season and glad he showed it this year
2) he helped create that trade rumor bananza with his wanting to play in New Yoork. the media helped blow it out of proportion, but he still didn't help it with his comments and Eva sticking her sexy nose in the Spurs' business
1) and boom! the most important reason he's underrated: because he's a Spur!

good points overall, but i still hate how Bleacher Report ends seemingly good articles on weak points. glad Parker is flourishing this year too, we've needed all our Big 3 and Richie Jeffie to be good this year and it's paid off
I knew you were going to bring up the fact that Fisher was in the picture.
Old 02-11-11, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
I knew you were going to bring up the fact that Fisher was in the picture.
i'm becoming WAY too predictable. but his D isn't bad, it's really good at times....other times though, it's a big brain fart. he's improved
Old 02-11-11, 01:00 PM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

Other than Parker and Billups, how far back in time would you have to go to find a point guard winning Finals MVP?
Old 02-11-11, 03:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

probably Isiah Thomas
Old 02-11-11, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
Other than Parker and Billups, how far back in time would you have to go to find a point guard winning Finals MVP?
fair assumption, but i'm sure we would've had more PG's as Finals MVP if Duncan/Jordan/Shaq/Dream didn't dominate those Finals MVP awards lol
Old 02-13-11, 07:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
fair assumption, but i'm sure we would've had more PG's as Finals MVP if Duncan/Jordan/Shaq/Dream didn't dominate those Finals MVP awards lol
That's weird thought. So Stockton and Payton could have been MVP and Johnson was on Phoenix with Barkley. Kidd lost to Spurs. Billups got one. I don't think NY or Cleveland had an MVP worthy PG. It's like Bette Davis said in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? "But you are Blanche. You are in that wheelchair!"

My favorite line from a game back in 03 "He's the fastest PG in the NBA and his backup is named Speedy!"

Last edited by goodtexan; 02-13-11 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-13-11, 08:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I am sure there would be more final MVP awards given to Pg's if there were ever better PG's in the finals than TP (Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas being the other PG's worthy of MVP).

Tony Parker - 3rd best point guard in NBA Finals History!

Last edited by choppsboy; 02-13-11 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-13-11, 08:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yeah, Terry Porter would have won it if he and Drexler could have gotten by the Bulls.
Old 02-13-11, 09:28 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Wow, can BR ever not make anything in a slideshow format? I guess 10 pages is fine, but when they do a top 25 or top 50 list, you have to click all those times.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 02-13-11, 09:31 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
Wow, can BR ever not make anything in a slideshow format? I guess 10 pages is fine, but when they do a top 25 or top 50 list, you have to click all those times.
Pageviews = Benjamins.
Old 02-14-11, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Pageviews = Benjamins.
Yep. That's exactly the reason. But they get no views from me, because I'm not willing to click through that many pages. 2 pages, 3 pages, sure. But a page per reason, no thanks.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 02-14-11, 05:51 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I shouldn't even post their articles because they can't stop calling the Spurs boring. I never thought the Spurs were boring because my favorite play in basketball is the blocked shot.

Dwayne Wade streaks down the court with no one between him and the basket. He leaps from the ground toward the rim with an uncontrollable smile on his face. At the apex of his jump and his anticipation of the rim rocking dunk BAM! Blocked from behind by Manu Ginobili. Wade falls to the ground limp from the energy expended in anticipation of an event with no climax.

How that is not exciting, I have no idea.
Old 02-14-11, 10:59 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

(11) Parker will play the remainder of the season on a mission to prove the All-Star voters wrong.
Old 02-14-11, 12:40 PM

Can you be under rated with a Finals MVP trophy?
Old 02-16-11, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectGSX View Post
Can you be under rated with a Finals MVP trophy?
Yes, Billups has gone underrated for most of his successful portion of his career. He's received more recognition than Parker, but he's still been pretty underrated.