News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 11-17-10, 02:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs Sign Danny Green

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_...en_101117.html

Last edited by Lphenom21; 11-17-10 at 02:25 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-17-10, 02:25 PM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

Spurs Sign Danny Green

I guess we won´t have to wait those 2 maximum weeks to know who´s our 13th guy

Spurs sign Danny Green

The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have signed guard/forward Danny Green. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. Green (#4, 6’6”, 210, 6/22/87) appeared in 20 regular season games last season with the Cleveland Cavaliers, averaging 2.0 points in 5.8 minutes per game. During the 2010 preseason, he averaged 3.3 points and 2.0 rebounds in four games with the Cavs before being waived on October 19, 2010.
Originally selected by Cleveland with the 46th pick in the second round of the 2009 NBA Draft out of North Carolina, Green played in more games (145) and achieved more wins (123) than any Tar Heel player before him. He is the only player in ACC history with at least 1,000 points, 500 rebounds, 250 assists, 150 three-pointers, 150 blocks and 150 steals. He had career averages of 9.4 points, 4.1 rebounds and a .455 shooting percentage from the field.

What do you think about this one?
Old 11-17-10, 02:32 PM

another body to spot minutes
Old 11-17-10, 02:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Best case: lots of potential to become the lock down defender the Spurs are looking for.

Worst case: practice fodder.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-17-10, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
another body to spot minutes
I guess now having you on the roster is off the table We could´ve used your jumper
Old 11-17-10, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guille View Post
I guess now having you on the roster is off the table We could´ve used your jumper
you could describe my game as the fearlessness of a Jordan, the craftiness of a Ginobili, the athleticism of Jacque Vaughn, the rebounding of a Bonner, the defense of a Raja Bell, the clutchness of an Horry, the screen setting of an Oberto, the 3 point shooting of a Stephen Jackson, all with the height of a Earl Boykins lol

put those all in a blender and you get me......oh yeah, ask Mombear, the arms of a David Robinson?

Old 11-17-10, 03:02 PM

Quote:
you could describe my game as the fearlessness of a Jordan, the craftiness of a Ginobili, the athleticism of Jacque Vaughn, the rebounding of a Bonner, the defense of a Raja Bell, the clutchness of an Horry, the screen setting of an Oberto, the 3 point shooting of a Stephen Jackson, all with the height of a Earl Boykins lol

put those all in a blender and you get me......oh yeah, ask Mombear, the arms of a David Robinson?

Will it Blend?

Maybe the result is The Athleticism of Bonner, the screen setting of jacque vaughn, the 3 point shooting of Oberto and rebounding of earl boykins, and wearing Tiago socks :shocked
Old 11-17-10, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guille View Post
Will it Blend?

Maybe the result is The Athleticism of Bonner, the screen setting of jacque vaughn, the 3 point shooting of Oberto and rebounding of earl boykins, and wearing Tiago socks :shocked
you notice the socks too? Lol i guess it fits him, but those things look hilarious
Old 11-17-10, 03:20 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:

you wish. maybe the arms of this guy --->

Old 11-17-10, 03:36 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

I detect the touch of Danny Ferry in this signing.....Let's hope he's right...
Old 11-17-10, 03:38 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I like Green a lot better than Gee. Not as good offensively, but much better defensive potential. I liked him as a 2nd round pick back when he was in the draft.

Good move by the Spurs.
Old 11-17-10, 04:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I liked this guy at N.C. where he was able shoot and defend. I think he is a more versatile player than Gee. But I do not see this guy getting any minutes anytime soon, well real minutes.
Old 11-17-10, 05:10 PM
admin

Old 11-17-10, 05:12 PM
admin

Interview video:

Danny Green Media Day Interview (9/30) - NBA Videos and Highlights

Another Interview:

http://www.nba.com/video/teams/caval...010.cavaliers/
Old 11-17-10, 07:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I feel like Engleberg in the Bad News Bears (I guess the remake fits better). I know you purposely served me up a big fat softball, but I'm knocking it out of the park anyhow...

Fixed.

Quote:
you could describe my game as the fearlessness of a Jordan, the craftiness of a Ginobili, the athleticism of Jacque Vaughn, the rebounding of a Bonner, the punkness of a Raja Bell, the clutchness of an Horry, the screen setting of an Oberto, the 3 point shooting of a Stephen Jackson, all with the height of a Earl Boykins lol

Old 11-18-10, 03:16 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
I like Green a lot better than Gee. Not as good offensively, but much better defensive potential. I liked him as a 2nd round pick back when he was in the draft.

Good move by the Spurs.
Another long wing that gives Spurs defensive versatility. Now they have Hill/Anderson/Green.

In the past Spurs had to sacrifice with their defenders like Bogans and Ime. Now, they have guys who can hit shots (spread the floor). And they have lots of guys who can hit shots now but also play defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
I detect the touch of Danny Ferry in this signing.....Let's hope he's right...
Ferry and Brown, who uses Popovich's defensive style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytlingit View Post
I liked this guy at N.C. where he was able shoot and defend. I think he is a more versatile player than Gee. But I do not see this guy getting any minutes anytime soon, well real minutes.
Depends how fast he picks up the system. The advantage is he played under Mike Brown. Right now, Manu's been playing the 3 position which is forcing him to play career high minutes. Although I see this move as an investment for the future as well. No a star, but a solid role player investment.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis

Last edited by Grego; 11-18-10 at 03:19 AM.
Old 11-18-10, 09:35 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I remember seeing him play at NC, part of the last championship team if I remember. I remember him being alright in transition, and using his length against opponents.

when we waived simmons, temple, and gee I was worried we wouldn't have a decent player to take their spot. However, now it seems alright since anderson is out till the new year. could be cut by the time james anderson gets back.
Old 11-18-10, 06:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

What makes him a better prospect than Temple?
Old 11-19-10, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills0 View Post
What makes him a better prospect than Temple?
Honestly, nothing that can really be argued, but he's more of a 2/3 than Temple who is more of a 1/2. I also think Temple could be invited back next summer if he's not with a team already. I guess we'll see what happens with him and Memphis this year. He never really recovered from that injury, even if it is all just mental.

But back to Green. He gives them another big wing who can hit shots but also play defense. He has a pretty big wing span. And with Anderson out, he becomes even more useful in the short term.

Some pretty impressive defense from Green.
YouTube - Danny Green: 2 Awesome Blocks v. Miami

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 11-20-10, 06:42 AM
SpursReport Rookie

This is a nice addition to the Spurs. I work at UNC and watched most of their games for the past few years. Green was an integral part of the National Championship team. While Hansborough was the star, Green was their "X factor" -- he always seemed to be the one to get a key rebound, make a key shot, of play great defense. I was hoping that the Spurs would pick him in the second round a couple of years ago, until Blair fell to them. Now they have both players!
Old 11-20-10, 09:20 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

We'll se if Pop cn turn him into a player. You would thin with the UNC background, he has to have some skills and smarts. He doesn't have to get many minutes this year.
Old 11-20-10, 03:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

A kid from a Championship college team, played on a winning NBA team, so has experience in winning.

Can't go wrong with that.
Old 11-20-10, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtexan View Post
We'll se if Pop cn turn him into a player. You would thin with the UNC background, he has to have some skills and smarts. He doesn't have to get many minutes this year.
I think if the Spurs do well against Cleveland, he should see some extended minutes.

Old 11-20-10, 06:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

We're not going to get into the 'Why isn't that 13th guy even dressed?' argument about Green already?

Before the complaints start, I know he'll be dressed, but he better not be playing significant minutes outside of a blowout.
Old 11-20-10, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
We're not going to get into the 'Why isn't that 13th guy even dressed?' argument about Green already?

Before the complaints start, I know he'll be dressed, but he better not be playing significant minutes outside of a blowout.
I'd prefer that be the only thing to talk about this season.

Old 11-20-10, 11:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

How did he do tonight, especially his defense?
Old 11-20-10, 11:40 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

He scored 2 for 4 - 3 pointers..nothing special on defense.

Old 11-21-10, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas97 View Post
How did he do tonight, especially his defense?
Average, but I don't expect his defense to show too well at the moment with limited time. He air balled one of his misses, but his other miss looked pretty good.

His potential looks good though.

Old 11-21-10, 02:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs should hire Bowen to coach and mentor this guy.
Old 11-21-10, 04:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

BTW, what does BA stand for in the stats?
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Old 11-21-10, 04:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I figure he's just filling in for Anderson, could be cut by the new year. However seeing Pop give him the business on a defense assignment has to say something.
Old 11-21-10, 05:11 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII View Post
I figure he's just filling in for Anderson, could be cut by the new year. However seeing Pop give him the business on a defense assignment has to say something.
Blocks Against

Old 11-21-10, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII View Post
If they were just going for a "rent-a-player" they probably would have taken a vet.

Since they picked him up because of Ferry, I think he has a higher probability. Also, they dumped Gee and Temple. Their surplus of future wings is now much smaller. I think he's here to stay for the full season at least to see if he can become something more.

Old 11-21-10, 09:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
If they were just going for a "rent-a-player" they probably would have taken a vet.

Since they picked him up because of Ferry, I think he has a higher probability. Also, they dumped Gee and Temple. Their surplus of future wings is now much smaller. I think he's here to stay for the full season at least to see if he can become something more.
This is what I'm thinking too.
Also, if he does show promise, then why not bring in Bruce to coach and mentor him as well?
I mean, they have a coach who coaches strictly shooting, so why not a coach who coaches strictly defense, such as Bowen?

Last edited by xmas97; 11-21-10 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-21-10, 10:29 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

either way I think it's okay, I would just assume he's here on loan because we have cut 2 wing players and that was before Anderson was hurt (Gee after), and Pop making the proclamation it would be his intention to carry the league minimum .
Old 11-21-10, 10:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

league min is 13
Old 11-23-10, 03:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs just waived Green.
Who's next?
Old 11-23-10, 05:24 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas97 View Post
Spurs just waived Green.
Who's next?
Jerry Stackhouse! It's awesome, baby!

Oh, and to answer your question, who cares? Some guy for practice.