News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 11-15-10, 05:17 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

CBS: What We Learned, 3.0

What We Learned, 3.0 - CBSSports.com
What We Learned, 3.0
Posted by Royce Young
Remember the Spurs? You probably aren't thinking about them. You're thinking about the Hornets who impressively moved to 8-0 over the weekend. You're thinking about the Lakers who despite losing two straight, look really, really good. You're thinking about if anyone can hang with a healthy Celtics squad. You're thinking about what's going on with the Heat.

But you probably aren't thinking about the San Antonio Spurs.

If you had to guess, what do you think their record is? Don't look. If I hadn't just watched them play Sunday night, I would've probably said 6-3. Maybe 7-2. Nope, the Spurs are 8-1 with only a loss to the undefeated Hornets. And they are winners of seven straight.

Every year without fail, we all try and write them off. We try and say, "Nah, this is when they get too old." But every year, again without fail, the Spurs are right there.

They are off to their best start since their last championship season in 2007-08 and have a roster that's completely clicking. Richard Jefferson is providing the extra scoring punch needed. Tony Parker is totally healthy and looking like his old self. Tim Duncan is settling in to a role that suits his older self perfectly. And the bench has guys like Matt Bonner (7-7 from 3 against Oklahoma City Sunday), Gary Neal and George Hill that can make an impact any given night.

It's just another boring old Spurs team again this season. And that's what makes them so dangerous.
[email protected]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-15-10, 05:46 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

So are the Spurs going to wait until the playoffs to put the league on notice or are they going to put them on notice before the ASG.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-15-10, 06:06 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Hi Mombear and Athenea how have ya'll been? Anyway... I'm beginning to enjoy reading some of these because it's a lot of what some of us have said, this isn't just another old Spur team.

This is a team that has good young players, a couple of wily veterans (and having Manu, TP and TD as those wily veterans certainly helps...) that is younger, faster, and IMHO is as athletic as almost any team in the league...

This should be a very exciting year and I bet in the coming months when the Spurs keep winning, we'll see more and more of them....
Old 11-15-10, 07:10 PM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

Yes and this guy Royce is forgetting number 20
Old 11-15-10, 10:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA View Post
It's just another boring old Spurs team again this season.

not the way they're scoring (and giving up points).

Old 11-15-10, 10:40 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA View Post
What We Learned, 3.0 - CBSSports.com
What We Learned, 3.0
Posted by Royce Young
Remember the Spurs? You probably aren't thinking about them. You're thinking about the Hornets who impressively moved to 8-0 over the weekend. You're thinking about the Lakers who despite losing two straight, look really, really good. You're thinking about if anyone can hang with a healthy Celtics squad. You're thinking about what's going on with the Heat.

But you probably aren't thinking about the San Antonio Spurs.

If you had to guess, what do you think their record is? Don't look. If I hadn't just watched them play Sunday night, I would've probably said 6-3. Maybe 7-2. Nope, the Spurs are 8-1 with only a loss to the undefeated Hornets. And they are winners of seven straight.

Every year without fail, we all try and write them off. We try and say, "Nah, this is when they get too old." But every year, again without fail, the Spurs are right there.

They are off to their best start since their last championship season in 2007-08 and have a roster that's completely clicking. Richard Jefferson is providing the extra scoring punch needed. Tony Parker is totally healthy and looking like his old self. Tim Duncan is settling in to a role that suits his older self perfectly. And the bench has guys like Matt Bonner (7-7 from 3 against Oklahoma City Sunday), Gary Neal and George Hill that can make an impact any given night.

It's just another boring old Spurs team again this season. And that's what makes them so dangerous.
Please see: Boston Celtics
Old 11-16-10, 12:41 AM
SpursReport Team Member

the spurs have been anything but boring. So that already tell me the writer only watches clips of the game.

Im kinda getting tired from the lazy reporting. All these writers have been sticking to the same script for the past few years. "The spurs are old". " the spurs are boring"."this is the year they miss the play offs".
there was even a guy doing commentary on a spurs recap saying the spurs are a good team but they're done as far as being contenders, they're pretty much rebuilding right now. Its 8 games in and he's already calling it a day for them.
why even bother if your not the lakers, celtics, or king james heat featuring Dwayne wade. Every body else is just playing for an honorable mentioned.
Old 11-16-10, 03:43 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guille View Post
Yes and this guy Royce is forgetting number 20
I'm surprised that they didn't list him with Hill and Neal coming off the bench.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 11-16-10, 06:41 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I've never understood the "boring" thing. Except for last year, when Pop reduced the number of plays and at the same time, our stars didn't have great years individually, the Spurs have always played a cerebral, creative and skillful brand of basketball. Perhaps the boring aspect is that our players tend to stay out of trouble? Or don't win dunk contests? Could it be the small market phenomenon?
Old 11-16-10, 07:18 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Of course I remember the Spurs! How could I ever forget?
Year in, year out, they have the most exciting team in all of sportsdom!
Old 11-16-10, 07:50 AM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

National sports reporting of the Spurs has lacked originality, inventiveness, investigation, insight or promotion far too long. Always has. SA is a too small market team that doesn't justify the costs nationally to exploit so everybody just latches on to a mantra and repeats it.

The Sours have been boring, old, and out of it and declining, lost it, over the hill, aged since 1995. It never changes because nobody knows anything different except a easier repetitive conventional wisdom...it's journalistic laziness at the highest level. The exception being a very few Spurs beat reporters who go national i.e. Ludden, etc. Even Barkley, a non journalist understands that there's more to the "podunk" Spurs than whats told but he has a player's perspective, and insight. From Ginobilli! to Groundhog, he knows better than most. He entertains more truthfully than ESPN ever has.
The national writers and pundits repeat the same old crap over and over because repetition of a story line becomes a unshakable conventional wisdon and they been wrong all along. And every journalist has egg on his face and is holding their johnson with their pants down with a dumb look and no explanation when the facts broadcast, explained and pontificated don't match up with the crap they have been shilling.
Spurs fans know and that's has to be good enough.

Nor it this a rant of some inferiority complex blah blah...It a rant against too much just lazy bull**** sports journalism and NBA-Stern on message corporate Page Ranking.

I need my coffee.