News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 11-11-10, 01:12 PM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

Spurs Waive Garrett Temple

In Breaking News: Garrett Temple´s been waived from Spurs

The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have waived guard Garrett Temple. Temple appeared in three games this season totaling 2 points, 2 rebounds and 2 assists in 21 minutes. Temple was signed originally by San Antonio on March 13, 2010. He appeared in 12 games during the 2009-10 season, averaging 6.2 points and 1.1 rebounds in 14.8 minutes.
The Spurs roster now stands at 13.

I would´ve sticked to him instead of bringing Quinn over, but that´s just me.

What do you guys think?

Hope Temple can continue his NBA career elsewhere. He deserves a spot somewhere.
Old 11-11-10, 01:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

nooooo! I liked this guy why choose quinn over him. It is probly down to not getting enough playing time.
Old 11-11-10, 01:33 PM

this one really surprises me. Pop loves him. i guess after the injury he's just fallen really far
Old 11-11-10, 02:09 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Hey thought he was the backup small forward??? I was not susprised by this move he did not even dress last night. I think the summer league injury and him not taking it up a notch in the preseason kind of doomed him. I said he looked more comfortable but maybe "too comfortable". I really wanted him to work out to be honest. I'm not sold on him at the point. Remember this guy was a D-League guy and jumped around a lot last year. He needs more time at the point. Too thin for SF. I think he would be better suited at the 2. I think with the labor struggles that the Spurs will not carry a 15 man roster. Most teams this year are carrying a 14 man versus 13 or 15 man roster. I think only two teams are doing 13. 15? Not sure but less then last year for sure. But getting back to Temple, I like him as a utility guy deep on the bench. Not a regular rotation guy. I know people like him on here but he did not take the next step to being a every day/year NBA player. I agree with the move because I think it should make him starving to get back to the show. Waiving Simmons and Temple were the right moves so far this year. I'm liking the direction of the team overall as it stands now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-11-10, 03:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

i wanted temple to stay. saw he wasnt dressed last night (and the game before?) and was wondering what was going on with him. liked his versatility and also thought he was a better PG then hill.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-11-10, 05:21 PM
SpursReport Rookie

This kid (Temple) needs to be given a legit chance to play!
Oh well, I guess we move on.
Old 11-11-10, 06:01 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Wow.

I don't really get it. How does a guy go from playing major minutes/starting in the spring as you make your playoff push, to getting cut in favor of Quinn, who let's face it does not have the physical assets to be an NBA point guard?
Old 11-11-10, 06:28 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Uhm, please remember that we are talking about the first or second player to be wearing a suit. Even with the latest injuries, he's the last cheerleader.

If the Spurs need to worry about the first guy to cut, then the season is over. If all goes well in Spurs-land, then Temple has no shot to hold the ball after practice and shoot-around. The uproar over the 14th spot on the roster always makes me chuckle.
A 10 deep rotation means that no third string guys ever see the floor. Now that he's been waived, it's more likely that Temple has a chance to land on a team where he can play. History suggest that he'll sign with the Rockets and be the cog in a HOU 2 point OT win next meeting. Regardless, best of luck to the guy.
Old 11-11-10, 06:47 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Wow.

I don't really get it. How does a guy go from playing major minutes/starting in the spring as you make your playoff push, to getting cut in favor of Quinn, who let's face it does not have the physical assets to be an NBA point guard?
Chris Quinn HAS been an NBA point guard since 2006! He even has started NBA games. The guy has an above average shooting touch and a good career assit to turnover ratio. Now Quinn was undrafted just like Temple but Temple toiled in the D-League. Can't say the same about Chris. I know the guy looks like a harmless ball boy but the guy has proved to produce on the court in recent past years. All I'm saying is on paper the guy is better then Temple. Give him a chance before knocking him gone from the league. Also to keep in mind is the guy was not at training camp so he is behind the 8-ball so to say.
Old 11-11-10, 11:31 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Uhm, please remember that we are talking about the first or second player to be wearing a suit. Even with the latest injuries, he's the last cheerleader.

If the Spurs need to worry about the first guy to cut, then the season is over. If all goes well in Spurs-land, then Temple has no shot to hold the ball after practice and shoot-around. The uproar over the 14th spot on the roster always makes me chuckle.
A 10 deep rotation means that no third string guys ever see the floor. Now that he's been waived, it's more likely that Temple has a chance to land on a team where he can play. History suggest that he'll sign with the Rockets and be the cog in a HOU 2 point OT win next meeting. Regardless, best of luck to the guy.
I agree
Old 11-11-10, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post

the guy did a great job backing up Hill when Parker was hurt, so he wouldn't have been the first or second guy wearing a suit, especially since Pop "loved" him. after the injury, he just wasn't the same. the thing that made him valuable was that he could handle the ball, play 1-3 and defend 1-3, which is something we desperately needed. he was just caught in a wrong time to be in a bad spell (and you gotta believe it was a bad spell when he couldn't handle the rock vs. PHX, couldn't shoot, and couldn't defend at all) because the Spurs need someone who can contribute. if we didn't sign a vet, he wouldn't have been cut. but since Pop trusts any vet really, this move becomes more less surprising when you think about it.

i know some people may hate this, but i wouldn't be a bit surprised if we go REALLY small in the backcourt for a while with combos of Parker/Hill/Neal at one point, also along with Ginobili & RJ at times since Splitter is showing signs of being a good help defender every passing game
Old 11-12-10, 09:56 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Chris Quinn HAS been an NBA point guard since 2006! He even has started NBA games. The guy has an above average shooting touch and a good career assit to turnover ratio. Now Quinn was undrafted just like Temple but Temple toiled in the D-League. Can't say the same about Chris. I know the guy looks like a harmless ball boy but the guy has proved to produce on the court in recent past years. All I'm saying is on paper the guy is better then Temple. Give him a chance before knocking him gone from the league. Also to keep in mind is the guy was not at training camp so he is behind the 8-ball so to say.
I know he's been in the league for a couple of years and has played. I'm just saying physically he can't keep up with what the Spurs will need from him defensively.
Old 11-12-10, 10:01 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Old 11-12-10, 06:07 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
I know he's been in the league for a couple of years and has played. I'm just saying physically he can't keep up with what the Spurs will need from him defensively.
I understand your point..... but a guy who can shoot long distance to stretch the floor and has a good history of not turning the ball over a lot is normally a decent point guard in the NBA. I don't see Gary Neal being a defensive stalwart anytime soon. I don't recall Steve Kerr locking people down on "D" playing one or two guard. I know those guys are really not pure point guards but they are around the same height and ability. Their job if executed correctly fills a role. Quinn will never be ALL-NBA anytime soon. His job will be to fill a role. If he does not he is gone period. Temple filled a role last year and for some reason did not show it this year. Besides getting back to the Spurs point guard duties on "D". For the most part the Spur point guard and the backcourt members funnel the other guys to the baseline. Then your frontcourt guys step up and create havoc. We are talking about a 3rd string point guard here. So the chance of Quinn guarding Deron Williams is not very good anyway. The spurs need more shooters. They are trying to address that.
Old 11-12-10, 06:29 PM

Quote:
i was about to agree with you.....then i remembered Matthew Bonner
Old 11-12-10, 06:35 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post

lol
Old 11-12-10, 07:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
I agree with Will...

Old 11-13-10, 05:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

here's an interesting comment on Temple's waiving, from ESPN's Weekend Dime:

After clearing waivers Monday, Garrett Temple's earnings through the first seven games of San Antonio's season will count for just over $105,000 on the Spurs' payroll, leaving them $875,720 under the luxury-tax threshold. Which leaves sufficient room beneath the tax line for a minimum-salaried replacement if the Spurs elect to bring in another player (since rookie swingman James Anderson was lost for up to two months with a stress fracture in his right foot).

Weekend Dime: Testing the early trade winds - ESPN
Old 11-14-10, 05:22 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

He wasn't the same since the injury. Sucks though, but he wouldn't have gotten playing time.

However, I would not be surprised to see the Spurs to invite him back. I was thinking he would be in Austin for the full season with Gee (although now that Anderson is out, Austin is less likely for him for a while).

Quinn makes sense for your 3rd string PG though. He won't play much, but he has the skill set to be the floor general for garbage minutes, as he was with Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinswes View Post
here's an interesting comment on Temple's waiving, from ESPN's Weekend Dime:

After clearing waivers Monday, Garrett Temple's earnings through the first seven games of San Antonio's season will count for just over $105,000 on the Spurs' payroll, leaving them $875,720 under the luxury-tax threshold. Which leaves sufficient room beneath the tax line for a minimum-salaried replacement if the Spurs elect to bring in another player (since rookie swingman James Anderson was lost for up to two months with a stress fracture in his right foot).

Weekend Dime: Testing the early trade winds - ESPN
From the timing of James Anderson information, Temple was waived before they knew about the injury.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 11-14-10, 12:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
From the timing of James Anderson information, Temple was waived before they knew about the injury.
good point. but it could have been with the anticipation that later this season they'll want to sign someone, and Temple was the best option to cut in order to provide that flexibility.
Old 11-15-10, 12:09 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Temple went from Pop's favorite player to being release six games into the season? Is it possible instead that Temple asked to be released? That would make things a bit easier to understand.

It is possible that when the regular season started and Temple saw the shape of things, he realized that he was just not going to get much playing time this season. Asking to be waived to try to sign with a team where he could get more playing time might be a good move at this point in his career.
Old 11-15-10, 04:46 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills0 View Post
Temple went from Pop's favorite player to being release six games into the season? Is it possible instead that Temple asked to be released? That would make things a bit easier to understand.

It is possible that when the regular season started and Temple saw the shape of things, he realized that he was just not going to get much playing time this season. Asking to be waived to try to sign with a team where he could get more playing time might be a good move at this point in his career.
Why would he be asked to be let go when his salary would go also???
Old 11-15-10, 08:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Well, if he signed with another team, the salary would come back.
Old 11-15-10, 09:56 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills0 View Post
Well, if he signed with another team, the salary would come back.
Key word there....IF!
Old 11-16-10, 12:55 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Key word there....IF!
For cheap, he's a solid player. If he's more about the game than the money, then I can see him doing that.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis