News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 11-04-10, 10:28 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Tony Parker contract details here

By Mike Monroe
Express-News

Details of the four-year contract extension Tony Parker signed last week have trickled out and a couple of the particulars are interesting.

For one thing, the deal calls for a non-escalating salary. Parker is to get $12.5 million for the 2011-12 season, and in each of the three succeeding seasons. This would seem an obvious nod to the uncertainty of the increases that may, or may not, be allowed under a new collective bargaining agreement.

Even more interesting: Only $3.5 million is fully guaranteed in the final season, 2014-15, when the erstwhile All-NBA point guard will be 32 years old.

Finally, the deal includes no trade kicker, that would have increased Parker’s salary in the event of a trade. Manu Ginobili’s three-year, $38.9 million deal, signed last spring, does include a trade kicker, according to a league source.
Old 11-04-10, 10:32 PM
The Master Baiter

If that contract doesn't make you believe Parker loves the franchise, then I don't know what will.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-04-10, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
If that contract doesn't make you believe Parker loves the franchise, then I don't know what will.
the dude is getting $12.5 mill a year. with the rumored new CBA, he's getting a bit overpaid if the max is going to be around $17 million. he's earning $13.5 this year, so he only took a million pay cut, but seeing as the highest salary under this CBA has been around $24-25 mill and it'll be lowering by $7-8 million, Parker and RJ got overpaid for their services unless they keep playing All-Star level throughout their deal.

by RJ's contract, i doubt the Spurs offered anything lower than $12.5 million if you look at RJ's contract, that'd be ridiculous. i think Parker gave in, not the fact he "loves the franchise". he probably saw how NY is, how they prefer Paul over him there (especially in that offensive scheme with D'Antoni). his best choice was to stay.
Old 11-04-10, 11:21 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
the dude is getting $12.5 mill a year. with the rumored new CBA, he's getting a bit overpaid if the max is going to be around $17 million. he's earning $13.5 this year, so he only took a million pay cut, but seeing as the highest salary under this CBA has been around $24-25 mill and it'll be lowering by $7-8 million, Parker and RJ got overpaid for their services unless they keep playing All-Star level throughout their deal.

by RJ's contract, i doubt the Spurs offered anything lower than $12.5 million if you look at RJ's contract, that'd be ridiculous. i think Parker gave in, not the fact he "loves the franchise". he probably saw how NY is, how they prefer Paul over him there (especially in that offensive scheme with D'Antoni). his best choice was to stay.
Of course he took the deal now, but he is still getting paid less than Manu, he's only got 3.5m guaranteed in the final year and there is no trade kicker. He could have demanded more, and probably forced a trade midseason for more, and someone (NY) would have taken him. We all know you hate TP. No one knows what the max salary will be, only what Stern wants it to be. NY would love ANYONE to go over there, TP or Paul.

I suppose you think Manu's contract is ok.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-05-10, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Of course he took the deal now, but he is still getting paid less than Manu, he's only got 3.5m guaranteed in the final year and there is no trade kicker. He could have demanded more, and probably forced a trade midseason for more, and someone (NY) would have taken him. We all know you hate TP. No one knows what the max salary will be, only what Stern wants it to be. NY would love ANYONE to go over there, TP or Paul.

I suppose you think Manu's contract is ok.
i do think Manu's contract is ok, mainly because he's our 2nd important player next to Tim. like i've said, Manu's contract wasn't just an On Court contract. what pushed his value is his popularity with the Hispanic community.you can't say the same for Parker. in no way is Parker as or even half as popular as Manu is.

i don't think Parker had much leverage to be honest. think about it:

-D'Antoni's system isn't for a scoring PG, it's for a pass first PG. Chris Paul has said repeatedly that he wants to make his own Big 3 with Amare & Melo. yeah NY would love Parker to go there, but they have to wait for one or the other. if i was a betting man, i'd bet they'd wait for Paul's decision instead of trying to sign Parker and losing out completely on the NBA's best passing PG.

-how could he have demanded more and forced a trade? the Spurs used the "we're confident George Hill can replace him" card, Parker lost all leverage with that. Hill would be cheaper, he's younger and he's a tweener guard. if we didn't have Hill, TP would've milked that contract for everything he wanted. how would he have forced a trade anyway? he's going to be a FA and we'd have no obligation to trade him. in fact why can't he force a trade still? if he was leaving, our best scenario would be to let him walk and earn less money in New York instead of trading him and getting back scrubs with short or long term contracts in return. if we let him walk, we have Hill for cheap, we let $13.5 million walk away, and we have a chance to add more to the team. the fact Parker's contract has no kicker tells you he had no leverage. the Spurs couldn't let Manu walk away, he got his trade kicker and more money because the Spurs find him more valuable (which is the only conclusion i could come up with at least).
Old 11-05-10, 06:58 AM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Quote:
i do think Manu's contract is ok, mainly because he's our 2nd important player next to Tim. like i've said, Manu's contract wasn't just an On Court contract. what pushed his value is his popularity with the Hispanic community.you can't say the same for Parker. in no way is Parker as or even half as popular as Manu is.

-D'Antoni's system isn't for a scoring PG, it's for a pass first PG. Chris Paul has said repeatedly that he wants to make his own Big 3 with Amare & Melo. yeah NY would love Parker to go there, but they have to wait for one or the other. if i was a betting man, i'd bet they'd wait for Paul's decision instead of trying to sign Parker and losing out completely on the NBA's best passing PG.

-how could he have demanded more and forced a trade? the Spurs used the "we're confident George Hill can replace him" card, Parker lost all leverage with that. Hill would be cheaper, he's younger and he's a tweener guard. if we didn't have Hill, TP would've milked that contract for everything he wanted. how would he have forced a trade anyway? he's going to be a FA and we'd have no obligation to trade him. in fact why can't he force a trade still? if he was leaving, our best scenario would be to let him walk and earn less money in New York instead of trading him and getting back scrubs with short or long term contracts in return. if we let him walk, we have Hill for cheap, we let $13.5 million walk away, and we have a chance to add more to the team. the fact Parker's contract has no kicker tells you he had no leverage. the Spurs couldn't let Manu walk away, he got his trade kicker and more money because the Spurs find him more valuable (which is the only conclusion i could come up with at least).

I have to disagree with you on this one bro. Looking at details Parker could have atleast made us "sweat" but he took it immediately and not even a third of the salary is even guranteed the FINAL yr...pretty sweet deal for the Spurs.

Also you're not taking into account the Spurs can't lure anyone to play for them...Parker could have stuck it to the Spurs but he didn't.

Also Hill still isn't ready to lead a championship team despite all the posters who think he is...here you have another "shoot first" PG just like TP...and his game isn't sharp. The guy makes a few corner threes and everyone forgets its more to an offensive game than that.

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 11-05-10, 07:32 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:

You keep coming up with things out of left field. Manu's popularity with the Hispanic community helped him get more money? That's ridiculous. First of all, no one outside of San Antonio and Argentina really cares about Manu. What got Manu more money was his great play for a few months last year. If it were about popularity, they would have secured him way before that. The facts are that Manu had been injured the previous two playoffs and they wanted to make sure that Manu could still be Manu. I agree that Manu, when healthy, is the second best player on the team with Parker being very close behind him. But if the Spurs organization were making deals based on local popularity, I would seriously be worried about the future. They learned their lesson once with the Malik Rose contract.

Second, the Spurs have never expressed any "confidence" that Hill is ready to replace Parker. In fact, they have shown that they want them on the court at the same time. I don't know if you've been watching Hill, but he is most definitely not a suitable replacement right now. Heck, he's not even a point guard. If I can see it, then you know coaches and GM can see that. No matter how much spin you want to put on it, alot of teams would love to have Parker and he could have throw tantrums like Melo or Paul, but he didn't. He could have asked for way more than 13.5 million, knowing that the Spurs couldn't match and the Spurs most likely would have signed and traded him so they could something out of it.
Old 11-05-10, 08:50 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Quote:
First of all, no one outside of San Antonio and Argentina really cares about Manu.
I recent that.
Old 11-05-10, 09:50 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin View Post
I recent that.
I'll clarify, no one outside of Spurs fans and Argentina cares about Manu.
Old 11-05-10, 01:12 PM

Quote:
You keep coming up with things out of left field. Manu's popularity with the Hispanic community helped him get more money? That's ridiculous. First of all, no one outside of San Antonio and Argentina really cares about Manu. What got Manu more money was his great play for a few months last year. If it were about popularity, they would have secured him way before that. The facts are that Manu had been injured the previous two playoffs and they wanted to make sure that Manu could still be Manu. I agree that Manu, when healthy, is the second best player on the team with Parker being very close behind him. But if the Spurs organization were making deals based on local popularity, I would seriously be worried about the future. They learned their lesson once with the Malik Rose contract.

Second, the Spurs have never expressed any "confidence" that Hill is ready to replace Parker. In fact, they have shown that they want them on the court at the same time. I don't know if you've been watching Hill, but he is most definitely not a suitable replacement right now. Heck, he's not even a point guard. If I can see it, then you know coaches and GM can see that. No matter how much spin you want to put on it, alot of teams would love to have Parker and he could have throw tantrums like Melo or Paul, but he didn't. He could have asked for way more than 13.5 million, knowing that the Spurs couldn't match and the Spurs most likely would have signed and traded him so they could something out of it.
"but if the Spurs organization were making deals based on popularity" lol now that's way off of left field. i said it was both a marketing and a basketball decision. his popularity was one of the reasons they had to lock him up, the other was we had no one to replace Manu. Hill isn't ready to lead the Spurs, but the Spurs played that card to lower Parker's price, it was a business tactic. i don't believe he's as good as Parker, but if you're negotiating, you're throwing everything out there to get you a one up. of course we NEVER read any articles that said the Spurs were confident with Hill going forward if Parker chose to leave? maybe you weren't on the forum at that time when the articles were posted, especially when Parker was injured and Hill was starting at PG last year. all leverage man. Parker's the better player, but they played their cards right to secure Parker at a cheaper price than he wanted, especially when there were reports going around the league that GM's thought Parker was way past his prime and he wouldn't be worth a big contract. remember Parker saying he wanted to be traded if Hill started? some loyalty to the franchise there right? or maybe because he knew what the Spurs were doing, maximizing Hill's value with him playing next to Duncan/Ginobili/Jefferson in the starting unit. there's a reason that situation irked him, because they showed him that Hill could play decent as the starting PG next to those guys, especially when Parker and Hill could've started together and had Manu come off the bench.

it's crazy to think Parker's "loyalty" drew up this contract. i don't know how the Spurs wouldn't have bit before if he was taking any kind of pay cut with no trade kicker for 4 years instead of 5, especially when we gave Bonner that idiotic contract and RJ that contract with a player option for $11 million on his last year.
Old 11-05-10, 06:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I'll clarify, no one outside of Spurs fans and Argentina cares about Manu.

Old 11-05-10, 06:11 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Where is the dumb *ss on here that said to give TP a 5 year 75 million dollar extention and said he was worth it?????
Old 11-05-10, 06:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Uwe, you're right this contract does prove Tony loves the franchise. I see 41 million things that Parker loves about the franchise. C'mon this is like saying RJ took one for the team last summer. You think Parker didn't look into his crystal ball, see the NY situation drifting away, see the impact of the new CBA and think "I better get this while the gettings good"? If anything he was getting less from the Spurs as the season wore on and the market won't bear what he'd hoped it would. Sorry to say, because I appreciate Parker (that's right Jose, I'm Hispanic, I don't love him ) but he just may be a system point guard. Certainly not a true point guard and there are probably at least 10 that GM's would take before him. San Antonio makes the most sense for him (and he for the Spurs). Yeah, he'd better love the Spurs (and I don't doubt he does). Just don't imply that any part of his contract was selfless. It was business.

Old 11-05-10, 07:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think it was a classy move on Tony's part to take the deal and get it over with. We can all agree that no one thought they would work it out before this season's end. Now everyone can focus 100% on basketball.
Old 11-05-10, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice13 View Post
Uwe, you're right this contract does prove Tony loves the franchise. I see 41 million things that Parker loves about the franchise. C'mon this is like saying RJ took one for the team last summer. You think Parker didn't look into his crystal ball, see the NY situation drifting away, see the impact of the new CBA and think "I better get this while the gettings good"? If anything he was getting less from the Spurs as the season wore on and the market won't bear what he'd hoped it would. Sorry to say, because I appreciate Parker (that's right Jose, I'm Hispanic, I don't love him ) but he just may be a system point guard. Certainly not a true point guard and there are probably at least 10 that GM's would take before him. San Antonio makes the most sense for him (and he for the Spurs). Yeah, he'd better love the Spurs (and I don't doubt he does). Just don't imply that any part of his contract was selfless. It was business.
no way, we're agreeing?!

pawty time!
Old 11-05-10, 10:23 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Solid deal. Both parties benefit. There does exist some loyalty, but in business, the business comes first before the other stuff.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 11-05-10, 11:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
no way, we're agreeing?!

pawty time!
Funny, I think we agree more often than not (except when it comes to capitalization). Maybe we just know how to respectfully (or playfully) disagree. Maybe its because your brother is my favorite wrestler of all times.

Old 11-06-10, 10:14 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
Solid deal. Both parties benefit. There does exist some loyalty, but in business, the business comes first before the other stuff.
Jose and Maurice, I think this is probably the most fitting statement. Although I do think he could have stuck it to the Spurs some more and didn't. He wasn't between a rock and hard place like you guys think. The reports about him being unhappy and and GM's thinking he's past his prime were all "sources close to the situation" reports and blogs. We don't know if any of that is true. Besides, if Manu isn't past his prime, then Parker definitely isn't. Manu hasn't had a healthy playoffs the last three years (yes I'm counting the broken nose because it obviously affected his play somewhat).
Old 11-06-10, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm not taking the Parker bait... But his stats right now are real close to last years.... I'm not taking the Parker bait. No I'm not.

I like the offense we have when Parker plays with Anderson. That's going to be a good pair. This team is going to score points no doubt about it.
Old 11-06-10, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Besides, if Manu isn't past his prime, then Parker definitely isn't
Manu is past his prime, but the difference is Manu never relied on speed like Parker does. Manu's always been the crafty guy who can squeeze in a pass, jump shoot, or drive. Parker has a mid range shot that's only effective when he has his speed because the guy plays off of him. Parker hasn't adjusted or worked on anything else since his 2007 Finals MVP performance. he's really the same player with no improvements, while Manu's worked on something new each year.
Old 11-06-10, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Manu is past his prime, but the difference is Manu never relied on speed like Parker does. Manu's always been the crafty guy who can squeeze in a pass, jump shoot, or drive. Parker has a mid range shot that's only effective when he has his speed because the guy plays off of him. Parker hasn't adjusted or worked on anything else since his 2007 Finals MVP performance. he's really the same player with no improvements, while Manu's worked on something new each year.
Parker's a better jump shooter and you can also see it in his free throws. He's also been passing much better than he did 2-3 years ago. He's never going to have Manu's vision, but he's still better than what he was a few years ago. He's a pretty good QB these days even though he'll never be Manu quality.

I wouldn't say Manu has brought anything super new to the table. His shot has gotten better since he first came into the league, but he can be extremely streaky. You can see his age has slowed down some of the super cool things he used to do. He's definitely not explosive and it definitely makes him settle for shots that sometimes aren't the best ones to take.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 11-06-10, 02:28 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Parker's a better jump shooter and you can also see it in his free throws. He's also been passing much better than he did 2-3 years ago. He's never going to have Manu's vision, but he's still better than what he was a few years ago. He's a pretty good QB these days even though he'll never be Manu quality.

I wouldn't say Manu has brought anything super new to the table. His shot has gotten better since he first came into the league, but he can be extremely streaky. You can see his age has slowed down some of the super cool things he used to do. He's definitely not explosive and it definitely makes him settle for shots that sometimes aren't the best ones to take.
Thank you. What he said.
Old 11-06-10, 03:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Quote:
Jose and Maurice, I think this is probably the most fitting statement. Although I do think he could have stuck it to the Spurs some more and didn't. He wasn't between a rock and hard place like you guys think. The reports about him being unhappy and and GM's thinking he's past his prime were all "sources close to the situation" reports and blogs. We don't know if any of that is true. Besides, if Manu isn't past his prime, then Parker definitely isn't. Manu hasn't had a healthy playoffs the last three years (yes I'm counting the broken nose because it obviously affected his play somewhat).
I don't think TP was between a rock and a hard place. In fact I agree with the quote, it was more business than loyalty or "love for the Spurs". Where I think we disagree is that I don't think he could have stuck it to the Spurs. I don't think he had the leverage, nor do I think the Spurs would have allowed him to use it against them.

Old 11-06-10, 03:56 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Because he shoots jump shots for free throws? I'd say Duncan's a pretty good jump shooter but it does not reflect in FT's.

And TP is doing a better job QBing this year (I think 7 apg last I checked) but there are still close to if not more than a dozen PG's who are better than him at running an offense.

Old 11-06-10, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Parker's a better jump shooter and you can also see it in his free throws
i'll agree with the passing, but a much better jump shooter? what shot has he exactly nailed down that he hasn't before? since 2005, he's had that mid range jumper from the wing that PHX forced him to make in the 05 playoffs and other teams have dared him to since then. other than that, he can't shoot. he's been passing more and i think that was demanded of him with this group. he can't be the full scorer he was before because guys on this team need him to change the way he plays. he hasn't even been shooting many jumpers so far either, he's got his speed back and he's just driving in easier now because Manu/RJ/Anderson/Hill/Dice/Bonner can hit long 2's or 3's
Old 11-06-10, 04:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
because Manu/RJ/Anderson/Hill/Dice/Bonner can hit long 2's or 3's
Psst...Jose, I think you accidentally said something halfway decent about Bonner. May want to correct that.

Old 11-06-10, 05:58 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Quote:
Psst...Jose, I think you accidentally said something halfway decent about Bonner.
Alert the media.
Old 11-06-10, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Because he shoots jump shots for free throws? I'd say Duncan's a pretty good jump shooter but it does not reflect in FT's.

And TP is doing a better job QBing this year (I think 7 apg last I checked) but there are still close to if not more than a dozen PG's who are better than him at running an offense.
Lets start with Tony's history. They rebuilt his shooting. His free throws and jump shooting were super inconsistent before he started working with Chip.

If you look at his free throws (which he's shooting 92% currently), you'll notice he has much better rotation and balance on his release.

He's using a similar release in his jump shot. I never said that Parker was better than other point guards running the team. That's a given. He's not the best PG in the league, so there'll definitely be better PGs. My point is he's improved each year. Injuries obviously have taken away some time from him, Manu and Duncan.

As far as Duncan goes, he doesn't use his knees a lot in his free throw. He's improved his routine to not standing there for 20 seconds, but he still doesn't consistently use his knees. There are a lot of shots that are flat. His jump shot, when it is working has a good amount of power from his legs and also has better arc. He still is one who doesn't arc his shot as much, but there's definitely better arc when they fall for the most part.

Quote:
i'll agree with the passing, but a much better jump shooter? what shot has he exactly nailed down that he hasn't before? since 2005, he's had that mid range jumper from the wing that PHX forced him to make in the 05 playoffs and other teams have dared him to since then. other than that, he can't shoot. he's been passing more and i think that was demanded of him with this group. he can't be the full scorer he was before because guys on this team need him to change the way he plays. he hasn't even been shooting many jumpers so far either, he's got his speed back and he's just driving in easier now because Manu/RJ/Anderson/Hill/Dice/Bonner can hit long 2's or 3's
He’s a much better jump shooter compared to what he was 4-5 years ago. He has a nice shot off the dribble and off the screen. He also has a pretty good shot from the corners around 18 feet. He has had the shots for a while since Chip has worked with him, but his shot is more consistent than it was back in 05. When he’s off, he can be really off, but so can Duncan or Manu. He’s never going to shoot like Kevin Martin or Ray Allen, but he has a much more reliable shot than he used to.

Parker is at his best when he has his driving ability. It allows him to create more spacing for his shot. As always, you want him to start inside-out. Normally his good shooting games come off of his starting the game through penetration. He also can create more opportunities for teammates when he drives.

As far as passing, it’s what Pop wants. Pop has asked him to score more in the past, but now with the better talent, he’s asking Parker to score. Pop has given Parker more responsibility because he knows what to do now. Parker isn’t as savy as Manu, but his skill set has become much better as a quarterback than it used to be, even in 05.

Has Parker improved? Yes, but it has been gradual. The biggest improvement was at the beginning. It's like losing weight. You see the biggest loss at the beginning and then the last portion is gradual/not as noticeable and takes the most work to get to a certain level.

Parker is definitely worth the extension. Are there better guys out there? Sure, I'd take Deron Williams, CP3 or John Wall in a second, if Spurs could get him. But then I could say the same about a few guys I'd probably take over other guys on the team. I'd take Kobe over Manu if given the chance. I know TD is older, but a TD/Kobe lineup is just something that would be amazing for instance.