News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-10, 11:21 AM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

Tony Parker has signed a multi year contract extension with the Spurs!!!!

Guys, It´s sort of official.
Terms have not been disclosed yet, but in the official Twitter feed of the San Antonio Spurs

Twitter / San Antonio Spurs: Tony Parker has signed a m ...

Tony Parker has signed a multi-year contract extension.

I guess details will be falling soon!!!

Happy times... and the Big Three for a couple more years run!!!

Link for the official release added here

Tony Parker extension press release

Last edited by Guille; 10-30-10 at 12:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-30-10, 11:26 AM
SpursReport Team Member

YES
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-30-10, 11:32 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Glad to hear it, I guess that answers the biggest question we've had so far this off-season....Now everyone can concentrate on kicking some serious $@# this season....
Old 10-30-10, 11:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

good news!!
Old 10-30-10, 12:02 PM
SpursReport Rookie

This is good news, now there isn't some little cloud hanging over with all the speculation that Tony could be on his way out. I'm a happy Spurs fan!
Old 10-30-10, 12:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

4 yr 50 mil ? I think it was either Pop's wine collection or Rondo's treple doubles nite out changed Tony's mind.

PF
Old 10-30-10, 12:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

This is not a big surprise-There was a lot of smoke to be sure but the fact is Tony knows what he has here and appreciates it-couple that with a possible labor stoppage next year and it makes even more sense for him to stay put-again leave stuff to the Spurs front office to think in the LONG RUN.

Now GHill can still lean some more from him and we can continue to build for the future
Old 10-30-10, 12:07 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I hope BillSmith doesn't learn about this while in a multi-story building.

Good news though!
Old 10-30-10, 12:12 PM

And Tony will play his a** off even if he´s not in a contract year anymore.

Go Los Tres Amigos!
Old 10-30-10, 12:15 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

great... now we dong have money to resign duncan after next year? we will have to choose betweeen duncan or george hill or dejuan blair.

the plot thickens.

haha. j/k
Old 10-30-10, 12:27 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Hurray
Old 10-30-10, 12:32 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post

Good news though!
Old 10-30-10, 12:44 PM

Manu had a 3 years at nearly forty, Tony at 4 years at almost 50. They´ll be getting much like the same amount every year, and it´s not a pay upgrade to Tony so it won´t hurt the team finances.
Very good move from the Front Office
Old 10-30-10, 12:49 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Great news!
Spurs prove their smarts once again by getting read of a distraction.
Old 10-30-10, 12:50 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Tony Parker Signs Contract Extension

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that guard Tony Parker has signed a multi-year contract extension. Per club policy details of the contract were not announced.

“We are thrilled that Tony has signed a long-term contract extension,” said Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich. “He has enjoyed an outstanding NBA career. With all that he has accomplished it is easy to forget that he is only 28-years-old. Tony is a unique talent and a wonderful young man.”

A three-time All-Star (2006, 2007 and 2009), Parker is currently in his 10th NBA season.

Selected by the Spurs with the 28th pick in the first round of the 2001 NBA Draft, Parker has been the team’s starting point guard since the fifth game of the 2001-02 season. A month before his 20th birthday he was named to the 2002 All-Rookie First Team becoming the first foreign-born guard to earn the honor.

Parker was the starting point guard on three of the Spurs NBA Championship teams (2003, 2005 and 2007). During the team’s latest championship run, he was named the MVP of the 2007 NBA Finals. He is the only European-born player to be named an NBA Finals MVP.

During the 2005-06 season Parker led the team in both scoring and assists, becoming the first point guard in Spurs history to lead the team in scoring. For the season he averaged 18.9 points and 5.8 assists while shooting .548 (623-1,136) from the field. He ranked third in the league in FG percentage (the first time since 1973-74 that a point guard ranked in the top three in FG percentage).

Parker again made history during the 2008-09 campaign when he was named to the All-NBA Third Team, becoming the first European-born point guard to earn All-NBA honors. For the season he averaged a career-high 22.0 points and a career-best 6.9 assists.
Old 10-30-10, 02:13 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Glad to get this out of the way.
Old 10-30-10, 03:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

All the Tony haters owe him an apology.
Old 10-30-10, 03:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
All the Tony haters owe him an apology.
And what, pray tell, would they need to apologize to him for?

Old 10-30-10, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Good news though!

Great news! :applause
Old 10-30-10, 04:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin View Post
Tony Parker Signs Contract Extension

“We are thrilled that Tony has signed a long-term contract extension,” said Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich. “He has enjoyed an outstanding NBA career. With all that he has accomplished it is easy to forget that he is only 28-years-old. Tony is a unique talent and a wonderful young man.”
I'm totally shocked that Pop was 'thrilled'.
Old 10-30-10, 04:51 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Quote:

Aw thats kinda nice...

Good to know the Spurs have some sense enough to hang on to one of the TOP point guards in the league.

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 10-30-10, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Spurs guard Parker signs 4-year, $50M extension
By PAUL J. WEBER, Associated Press 1 hour, 5 minutes ago

SAN ANTONIO (AP)—Tony Parker(notes) swore he didn’t want to leave the Spurs, and he has a new contract to finally prove it.

The Spurs signed Parker to a multiyear extension Saturday that preserves their three-time NBA champion core of Tim Duncan(notes), Manu Ginobili(notes) and the star point guard, and puts an abrupt end to what would’ve undoubtedly been a season of speculation.

The extension is for $50 million over four years, according to Parker’s website.

Rumors swirled over the summer about where the 28-year-old former All-Star might end up after this season, but Parker has insisted that he and his wife, actress Eva Longoria Parker, wanted to remain in San Antonio.

“I didn’t mind playing through the year and be a free agent,” Parker said. “But it was my first option and for my wife was to stay in San Antonio.”

The French star entered his 10th season saying this was likely the Big Three’s last chance at a fourth championship together because of Duncan’s age. Duncan will be 35 when the playoffs begin, and the final year of his contract is threatened by a potential lockout next season.

But Parker, who was beset by injuries during an underperforming season a year ago, now appears firmly invested in a possible post-Duncan future.

The Spurs are also looking ahead: Parker’s contract marks their third big extension since April, when Ginobili signed on for three more years, followed by swingman Richard Jefferson(notes) restructuring a new four-year deal over the summer.

“He’s a character guy,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “And I just don’t know what else to say about him and it’s reflected in the extension that we gave him. That’s how we feel about him.”

Parker has spent his entire career in San Antonio, joining the Spurs at 19. Popovich put him in the starting lineup after just five games, and the next year, he helped lead the Spurs to their first of three NBA titles in five seasons.

Parker has averaged 16.6 points and 5.7 assists for his career. He is two seasons removed from averaging 22 points in 2008-09, when he appeared poised to supplant Duncan as the leading scorer.

But foot injuries and a broken hand last season derailed him. While Parker’s numbers fell off, Ginobili’s own durability concerns kept the Spurs from offering the Argentine an extension until he proved he could still produce and stay healthy at 32 years old.

But the Spurs believe Parker might still have his best years in front of him.

“Age-wise everybody would say that’s about a peak age,” Popovich said.

Parker spoke with Ginobili at length about how he handled his then-expiring deal last season, when Ginobili admitted to being bothered by the Spurs’ hesitation. But Parker said Saturday their situations are different because Ginobili was never fully healthy for two years.

He then said it didn’t matter. They’re all sticking around now, anyway.

“It’s home here,” Parker said. “I love being with Pop. I love being with Timmy and Manu. I’m happy to keep the adventure going with them.”

Spurs guard Parker signs 4-year, $50M extension - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
Old 10-30-10, 05:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I am a happy camper
Old 10-30-10, 06:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

Good news though!
ha! Good one. Actually I quite like the roster we have this year, and I think it fits TPs game much better. Clearing this up is great news for us-now we can get on with it.

The rotations and roles on this team make much more sense than last year. Adding the 3 point shooters and Tiago in the middle will make this all flow very naturally. Last year it was frustrating watching TP and RJ play together, I think we addressed it very well. We have a really good front office.

Im probably just a homer but I think we're going to be in this thing this year.
Old 10-30-10, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith3503 View Post
ha! Good one. Actually I quite like the roster we have this year, and I think it fits TPs game much better. Clearing this up is great news for us-now we can get on with it.

The rotations and roles on this team make much more sense than last year. Adding the 3 point shooters and Tiago in the middle will make this all flow very naturally. Last year it was frustrating watching TP and RJ play together, I think we addressed it very well. We have a really good front office.

Im probably just a homer but I think we're going to be in this thing this year.
billsmith is calm

NOW it's time to overreact!
Old 10-30-10, 06:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
billsmith is calm

NOW it's time to overreact!
I can't freak out till we lose a game.
Old 10-30-10, 07:05 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipmode Master View Post
Aw thats kinda nice...

Good to know the Spurs have some sense enough to hang on to one of the TOP point guards in the league.
Yeah I hear you Flipmode!!!!!

Congrats to TP9!!! :drummer

Thank Goodness!!!

This is what I hoped and prayed that they see the light here!!!

It is a no brainer!!! TP is a very unique player. TP is a very Big piece of this current Spurs Trio (TD, TP, Many) who won 3 Championships together in the last 7 years... And going for one more in my opinion...

Glad we now have him as a Spur for the length of this contract and hope to see him shine and grow and get even bigger role and more...

The Spurs LEGEND with the BIG THREE continues!

Go Spurs Go
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 10-30-10, 07:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice13 View Post
And what, pray tell, would they need to apologize to him for?
for being Tony Parker haters,
for calling him a traitor and assuming he was already in New York.
for saying he was greedy and would only sign a max contract.
for assuming he would only sign a contract that would ruin the Spurs financial situation.

All these things were said this summer, and all were wrong.
Old 10-30-10, 07:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
for being Tony Parker haters,
for calling him a traitor and assuming he was already in New York.
for saying he was greedy and would only sign a max contract.
for assuming he would only sign a contract that would ruin the Spurs financial situation.

All these things were said this summer, and all were wrong.
Chop, Have you been cheating on us and posting on some other Spurs message board?

Old 10-30-10, 09:01 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

I'm happy now
[email protected]
Old 10-30-10, 10:42 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I am pretty happy about this. Other teams have figured out how to defend some of his in-the-paint prowess, but he is still young at 28 and I am sure has a lot of good play in front of him. Besides that, who would replace him in the HEB commercials, sitting in the spa and recovering...

Glad at least that drama is settled.

Now if the darn political ads would stop.....
Badgerland's #1 Spurs fan.

Still crazy after all these years.
Old 11-02-10, 12:23 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice13 View Post
Chop, Have you been cheating on us and posting on some other Spurs message board?
Nope! All that was said on this board this summer, and that Eva was going to demand that tp go play in la or ny.