Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Hardball Politics

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-09, 09:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

HAHAHA-Rush Was Punked: “Obama Thesis” Hoax

Rush Was Punked: “Obama Thesis” Hoax
by Claudine Zap
39 hours ago

It must have seemed so perfect. An obscure blogger unearths some pages of President Obama's college thesis. The report supposedly comes from big-time journalist Joe Klein of Time magazine. And the thesis has some real gems: like Obama's disdain for the Constitution.

The whole thing was nothing more than a satirical post on a humor blog. But Rush Limbaugh, who quoted from the supposed thesis on his radio show, sure wasn't laughing. Here's how it went down.

An unknown blogger picked up on a made-up post meant as a joke, which claimed that Joe Klein had gotten his hands on 10 pages of student Obama's college thesis. Rush Limbaugh jumped on it, which immediately sparked Web searches on "obama thesis."

Supposedly titled "Aristocracy Revisited," the excerpt revealed the president had "doubts" about the "so-called founders." Juicy. Except not true. Limbaugh discovered halfway through his show that he'd been had, but defended himself by saying basically the thesis felt true. Listen in to Rush's mea sorta culpa.

Joe Klein finally jumped in, and called the report "nonsense" on his Swampland blog, and the blogger who thought the hoax was real also apologized.

Let's hope someone kept their sense of humor in all this. Still, for a humble post to go from humor blog to major media outlet sure seems impressive. Someone ought to write their thesis on it. For real.

The Buzz Log - Rush Was Punked: ?Obama Thesis? Hoax - Yahoo! Buzz

GO SPURS GO
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-25-09, 01:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

But there are still morons out there that will still think it's true even though they said it was a hoax! Just like the birthers and teabaggers!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-25-09, 01:32 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTD View Post
But there are still morons out there that will still think it's true even though they said it was a hoax! Just like the birthers and teabaggers!
Sad but true. There is another lawyer I work with--generally, a smart guy--who honestly believes that Obama is "trying to shut down FoxNews" because they are exposing Obama's real plan. I tracked down my co-worker's source: A single editorial from the Weekly Standard about a month ago.

It's scary how out-there the fringe right has gotten.
Old 10-25-09, 02:18 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

The blessing of the internet should be to compare multiple information sources, to verify reports and contrast opinions and sources of information. Why don't people - Rush included - use it?
Old 10-26-09, 08:55 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
The blessing of the internet should be to compare multiple information sources, to verify reports and contrast opinions and sources of information. Why don't people - Rush included - use it?
People do use it, but by and large, the needs of political entertainers are not met by facts and reason.
Old 10-28-09, 12:14 PM
NBA Ref Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
Fear of finding something to contradict one's own notions?
Laziness?

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
---Winston Churchill (1903)
Old 10-28-09, 01:37 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Both in my opinion, with the second option the primary reason.