SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Hardball Politics (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/hardball-politics/)
-   -   Carter Claims There Is "Racist" Tone Against Obama (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/hardball-politics/74824-carter-claims-there-racist-tone-against-obama.html)

jessi 09-15-09 07:40 PM

Carter Claims There Is "Racist" Tone Against Obama

In an interview with NBC's Brian Williams, former President Jimmy Carter said he has been extremely bothered by the heightened climate of racial and other hate speech since the election of President Barack Obama.

RealClearPolitics - Video - Carter Claims There Is "Racist" Tone Against Obama

Sith Lord 09-17-09 11:43 PM

BLAH BLAH...thanks for chiming in and reminding us you're still alive peanut-boy.

Sith

Bryhn 09-18-09 12:12 AM

Will racism ever be gone? Has it not been around since the beginning of man? Is it not an issue between other races and not just black and white?
When will the war on racism be won, and what will be the indicator?

WhiteChocolateJr 09-18-09 10:30 AM

I see absolutely nothing racist in the current discourse.

http://bayimg.com/image/dadleaacp.jpg

:smirk

(...and these are some of the better signs that could be posted on a family-friendly forum)

Bryhn 09-18-09 01:00 PM

I suppose his policies have NOTHING to do with it?

Give me a break. People did the same things to Bush. Were they racist?

I am sorry you are so blind that you don't realize those people could simply be against what he is doing and not the color of his skin. And what makes you think it doesn't work both ways?

WhiteChocolateJr 09-18-09 05:29 PM

Bryhn, I might be so "blind" that I fail to see how referring to the president as a "lyin' African" doesn't cross that racist threshold. Furthermore, I can't quite connect the repeated "President of Kenya" references with any specific policy disagreement.

Please.

From the "Obama Waffles" to the "Black House" jokes: The right has shown a new (old) level of classiness. Any time y'all want to expand that tent, the 21st Century is waiting.

Jason R 09-18-09 06:36 PM

I obviously don't think racism defines everyone protesting. I don't even think it defines a lot of those particular posters. I do think it defines some of the people out there; something not helped by some of the things said during McCain's campaign.

Bryhn 09-18-09 10:14 PM

Quote:

Bryhn, I might be so "blind" that I fail to see how referring to the president as a "lyin' African" doesn't cross that racist threshold. Furthermore, I can't quite connect the repeated "President of Kenya" references with any specific policy disagreement.

Please.

From the "Obama Waffles" to the "Black House" jokes: The right has shown a new (old) level of classiness. Any time y'all want to expand that tent, the 21st Century is waiting.
Oh, O.K., how silly of me. You are so right. That confirms it, you have convinced me that the majority of these people disagree simply because he is black. I guess I'm racist, too, because I agree with the majority of the town hall protestors. I am against a public option/single pay system, I am against deficit spending into the trillions, I am against abandoning ground missile defense in Poland, I am against prosecuting the CIA, etc. I am against so many things that he wants to do. This administration is proposing some of the biggest changes this country has ever seen, so it is quite possible that this many people could be upset simply because they disagree with those changes.

I am sure there are those that have issue with his color more than any other reason, but I am confident it is not the majority. To paint that kind of label with such a broad stroke is shallow.

I will not be concerned with criticizing the president in fear that I will be labeled a racist nor should anyone else.

txbobcat 09-19-09 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason R (Post 1161606)
I obviously don't think racism defines everyone protesting. I don't even think it defines a lot of those particular posters. I do think it defines some of the people out there; something not helped by some of the things said during McCain's campaign.

you are very right.. People may not show blatant racism, but it's there!

Money4Nothing 09-22-09 01:04 PM

George Bush was incessantly mocked as an igornant redneck.

I suppose there's no racial overtones to that then?

Yes, there are people who dislike Obama because he's part black. But this is a disproportionately vocal minorty. An incredibly small minority. These people are racist period, not just regarding Obama.

99.9% of Americans either don't care or are actually proud to have a black man as our president, whether they wanted this particular black man or not.

$

shelshor 09-23-09 11:53 AM

Ralph Nadir’s take on Obama so far?
Weak. Waffling, wavering, ambiguous and overwhelmingly concessionary.
Q&A: Ralph Nader, Fiction Writer - TIME

& speaking of racism:
Political Castaway Blog: Broadcasting Conservative Politics to Rescue America: New Toll Lanes in Virginia Are Racist
New Toll Lanes in Virginia Are Racist
Seriously.
To alleviate congestion, and apparently put down the man (or at least prevent him from getting from here to there in the DC area in less than a fortnight), Virginia is installing High Occupancy Toll or HOT lanes, according to a lawsuit filed in Arlington County, Virginia and it is racist.
Did some crazy person file this lawsuit?
Nope. That would be your tax dollars paying for the suit:
A lawsuit filed by Arlington County last month claims the lanes benefit wealthy white people and discriminates against minorities. While the only rule to get in the HOV lanes on Interstate 395 is you must have three people in the car, Arlington claims adding HOT lanes would cut out poor and minorities by defacto.
Here comes the justification. The HOT lanes apparently:
encourage and enable a financially-able, privileged class of suburban and rural, primarily Caucasian residents from Stafford and Spotsylvania counties operating single occupancy vehicles ("SOV") unimpeded access on toll lanes.
Huh. I guess using asphalt instead of cement is racist, too.
[T]he suit claims the Federal Highway Administration and the Virginia Department of Transportation failed to do the proper environmental analysis and that "their actions also constituted civil rights violations as they discriminated against minority and low income communities."
Arlington County Chair Barbara Favola says the race issue only arose because the environmental review includes socioeconomic impact.
Arlington County Board Chairman Babs Favola says the suit was not motived by race:
It is not our intention to play a race card. I think that's a very divisive approach."
Jim Moran could not be reached for comment.

WhiteChocolateJr 09-26-09 09:51 AM

Colbert Goes There.

Pure genius.

Bryhn 09-26-09 11:36 AM

Comedy Central? Colbert Report? Yeah, that's where I go to get genius takes on the news.

Toxic Asset 09-29-09 02:04 PM

Whenever Jimmy Carter opens his mouth, I'm quickly reminded why he's the worst President ever.

Dulce 09-29-09 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryhn (Post 1162486)
Comedy Central? Colbert Report? Yeah, that's where I go to get genius takes on the news.

You're not the only one:

Jason R 09-29-09 05:48 PM

Seriously who cares who reports the news as long as it's true. Those guys said those things and those posters were made.

e_93gsx 10-10-09 11:33 AM

Has anyone ever cared what Carter has to say? I'm sure there is a racist element in the crowd but to call ALL opposition seems a bit extreme. So these same people would support the same ideas coming out of the White House if the President were white?

WhiteChocolateJr 10-13-09 01:58 PM

On the lighter side...