Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Hardball Politics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-09, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Joe Wilson Apologizes For Shouting "You Lie!" At Obama

[email protected] | HuffPost Reporting

Posted: 09- 9-09 11:26 PM

Fresh from a month of acrimonious town halls, House Republicans arrived for President Obama's address to a joint session of Congress on Wednesday night with signs, props, and a lot of attitude.

But at least one congressman went way too far. Rep. Joe Wilson shouted "You lie!" after Obama denied that his health care proposal would cover illegal immigrants.

All eyes turned in the South Carolina Republican's direction -- including Obama's, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's and Vice President Joe Biden's.

Wilson, looking agitated, leaned forward and began tapping away at his BlackBerry, as if he were Googling up proof that the president had, in fact, lied.

"Shame on you!" shouted someone from the Democratic side. "Throw him out!" shouted someone else. First Lady Michelle Obama, seated behind and above Wilson, seemed to mouth a drawn-out "damn" at the scene unfolding before her.

Not long after the speech ended, Wilson issued an apology. "This evening I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the President's remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill," he said. "While I disagree with the President's statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the President for this lack of civility." Wilson also called the White House to apologize.

Wilson's wasn't the only disruption, though it was the most extreme. Throughout the speech, Republican members of Congress repeatedly held up stacks of papers that appeared to represent ideas they had for the bill.

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) held signs that read "What Bill?" and "What Plan?"

When Obama told the chamber that the "death panel" lie was, in fact, a lie, a Republican member said loudly enough to be heard in the press gallery, "Read the bill" -- a common refrain at August's angry town hall meetings.

When Obama told the chamber that he had "no interest in putting insurance companies out of business," a Republican member responded with a loud, "Ha!"

"Nineteen years, never, never have I seen anything like this," said a furious Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) after the speech.

"I thought it was very inappropriate behavior, to hold up signs. None of us ever would have done that," said Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.). "I don't think in the Congress of the United States there ought to be catcalls, or people standing up and yelling comments or holding up signs."

Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.), the longest serving member in House history, said he was not impressed by the GOP antics. "Well, you've got to understand: They're Republicans. They're just doing what comes natural," he told HuffPost.

Obama, in his speech, referenced Dingell's father for first introducing universal health care legislation in 1943. Dingell has introduced such a bill every year he's been in Congress and today's House bill bears his name.

"I am not the first President to take up this cause, but I am determined to be the last," Obama said of the long history of failed efforts. It struck a chord with Dingell. "The best speech I've ever heard on the floor of the House," he said.

:shocked :shocked :shocked
Old 09-10-09, 02:04 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

We're starting to look like Japan's Parliament!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-10-09, 02:17 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I guess they don't read Robert's Rules of Order anymore.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-10-09, 02:35 AM
Administrator

Hopefully he'll be censured.
Old 09-10-09, 08:37 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Not everyone, however, was busy assigning blame to Wilson. Los Angeles actor and comic Paul Scheer decided to shoulder it.

"I apologize 4 yelling 'liar' during Obama's speech," he jokingly wrote. "Sen McCain ate my Kit Kat while I was in the bathroom & he pretended like he didn't."

Wilson's heckle raises hackles on Facebook, Twitter - CNN.com
Old 09-10-09, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Old 09-10-09, 10:05 AM
SpursReport Rookie

that sly dog!!
Old 09-10-09, 10:21 AM
SpursReport Rookie

What's worse, the President lying to the nation or a congressman calling him on it? I know my answer.
Old 09-10-09, 11:35 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I agree that there is a level of respect that should be lived up to as the President speaks. This was not cool.

Sith
Old 09-10-09, 11:49 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi View Post
What's worse, the President lying to the nation or a congressman disruptively calling the POTUS a liar in spite of overwhelming evidence that said congressman is himself either a liar or too dim to read the facts? I know my answer.
Fixed.
Old 09-10-09, 02:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
What's worse, the President lying to the nation or a congressman calling him on it? I know my answer.
Strange how one accused "lie" is bigger than another, proven one. IOKIYAR?
Old 09-10-09, 02:50 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Also: Sith hit the nail on the head. Republicans, take note:

Holding up signs and disrupting a duly elected leader of the United States is NOT appropriate behavior, period. Doubly so when you're talking about elected "leaders" of a given district. That there are persons anywhere supporting Wilson's (and others') boneheaded demonstrations during a Presidential speech to Congress is a sad reflection on the state of civics education in this nation.
Old 09-12-09, 11:54 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Nice that Joe apologizes. Maybe Pelosi could learn something from him.
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Old 09-15-09, 01:54 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I guess everyone forgot the NUMEROUS times that representatives and senators stood up on the floor of Congress and called George Bush a liar?

Now, they didn't impolitely interrupt one of Bush's speech to do this.

So....are we upset that Joe:
a. Interrupted the president
b. Called the president a liar

a = common decency
b = hypocrisy

$
Old 09-15-09, 02:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

I noticed you weren't brave enough to put your answer!!!
Old 09-15-09, 06:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I noticed you weren't brave enough to put your answer!!!
Really? You don't think we all know?

Quote:
Strange how one accused "lie" is bigger than another, proven one. IOKIYAR?

So, that is suppose to justify it? It is not about republican vs. democrat. It is about truth. If you believe everything he said in that speech then you are no different. I am sick of lies all over the place from both sides. The only difference is you have very few sources that are going to call out the left compared to the right. Fox news and conservative media may show bias, but they don't blatantly ignore issues. Obama doesn't have to answer anything. Nobody is questioning him.

So the above reference makes it o.k.? BTW, what is IOKIYAR?
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Old 09-15-09, 06:55 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Nobody is questioning Obama? CNN online has an updated feature, right now, about the Obama health care plan in its truth squad feature.
Old 09-15-09, 09:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Nobody is questioning Obama? CNN online has an updated feature, right now, about the Obama health care plan in its truth squad feature.
Directly questioned. And I see nothing on cnn.com that you are referring to
Old 09-16-09, 06:45 AM
FrenchConnection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money4Nothing View Post
I guess everyone forgot the NUMEROUS times that representatives and senators stood up on the floor of Congress and called George Bush a liar?

Now, they didn't impolitely interrupt one of Bush's speech to do this.

So....are we upset that Joe:
a. Interrupted the president
b. Called the president a liar

a = common decency
b = hypocrisy

$
you are right although Bush did indeed lie and the issue was immanently important going to war or not. This war is still going and hundreds of thousand Iraqis lost their life because of that lie. But I agree with you about the interruption during a president speech.