SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Hardball Politics (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/hardball-politics/)
-   -   Feinstein: CIA concealment may have broken the law (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/hardball-politics/72378-feinstein-cia-concealment-may-have-broken-law.html)

Dasher 07-12-09 12:56 PM

Feinstein: CIA concealment may have broken the law

Feinstein: CIA concealment may have broken the law
2 hrs 10 mins ago

WASHINGTON – The chairwoman of the Senate Intelligence Committee says the Bush administration may have broken the law if it ordered the CIA to conceal the existence of a counterterrorism program.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein says that CIA Director Leon Panetta told senators last month that Dick Cheney as vice president had ordered the program not be disclosed to Congress.

Feinstein says that Congress was kept in the dark and that, in her words, "that's something that should never, ever happen again."

The New York Times reported that the CIA withheld information for eight years about a secret counter-terrorism program on direct orders from Cheney.

The California Democrat spoke on "Fox News Sunday."

Feinstein: CIA concealment may have broken the law - Yahoo! News

wu_aphex 07-12-09 01:34 PM

Thanks Dick. In your heroic defense of democracy, you thoroughly dismantled it.

jessi 07-12-09 03:28 PM

Hurry up and investigate these so called "crooks". This stuff should have been done a long time ago. I think its funny though that the topics of "wrong doings" done by the last administration are being brought up during a time when the presidents popularity and their own (D) is slipping. Nice time to try and turn the tables. Maybe they can finaly divert attention off this absurd green tax bill.

Jason R 07-12-09 03:55 PM

So if the former administration is guilty of wrongdoing, it's not worth investigating based on the suspicion that it's for popularity points.

jessi 07-12-09 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason R (Post 1150233)
So if the former administration is guilty of wrongdoing, it's not worth investigating based on the suspicion that it's for popularity points.

I say, by all means, go ahead and get it over with. Investigate if there is any suspicion (which in this case there is...a lot). Never did I say its not worth it due for other reasons. Im just pointing out the timing this subject is being brought up. This is something that should have been done a while back ago already.

wu_aphex 07-12-09 07:44 PM

Jessi,

I'm not sure what evidence you have to suggest the timing is anything more than coincidental. From the other thread:

Upon learning of the program June 23 from within the CIA, Director Panetta terminated it and the next day called an emergency meeting with the House and Senate Intelligence committees to inform them of the program and that it was canceled.

Sounds to me is if the Director was able to discover something even his own agency had been hiding (no doubt a consequence of being run by the Bush Administration for 8 years). He's only been director for 5 months now. If you recall it took nearly a month for Obama to have him appointed as head of the CIA, mainly because his lack of so-called 'experience'.

I for one am glad that someone with actual moral, democratic principles is director of the CIA now and is actually doing something about the abuses of the previous administration.