SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Hardball Politics (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/hardball-politics/)
-   -   BREAKING NEWS: Palin resigning as Alaska governor (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/hardball-politics/72083-breaking-news-palin-resigning-alaska-governor.html)

Dasher 07-03-09 03:18 PM

BREAKING NEWS: Palin resigning as Alaska governor

Palin resigning as Alaska governor
6 mins ago

WASILLA, Alaska – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said Friday she is resigning from office at the end of the month, raising speculation that she would focus on a run for the White House in the 2012 race.

The former Republican vice presidential candidate made the surprise announcement from her home in suburban Wasilla on Friday morning. She said she would step down July 26 but didn't announce her plans.

"Once I decided not to run for re-election, I also felt that to embrace the conventional Lame Duck status in this particular climate would just be another dose of politics as usual, something I campaigned against and will always oppose," Palin said in a statement released by her office.

"It is my duty to always protect our great state. With that in mind, my family and I determined that it is best to make a difference this summer, and I am willing to change things, so that this administration, with its positive agenda, its accomplishments, and its successful road to an incredible future, can continue without interruption and with great administrative and legislative success," she said.

Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell will be inaugurated at the governor's picnic in Fairbanks at the end of the month, Palin spokesman Dave Murrow said.

Palin was first elected in 2006 on a populist platform. But her popularity has waned as she waged in partisan politics following her return from the presidential campaign. Her term would have ended in 2010.

Palin resigning as Alaska governor - Yahoo! News

txbobcat 07-03-09 04:43 PM

i hope she does run for pres. that would make it that much easier for obama to win again

Jason R 07-03-09 09:19 PM

If this is the best the Republicans offer then we'll see you in 2016.

JTD 07-03-09 10:08 PM

The said she didn't take any questions! we know why! She doesn't have any answers! :)

jessi 07-03-09 10:15 PM

The only way a republican can win in 2012 is by a total overhaul of the party's policies. We witnessed the chance for a new direction in the 2008 with Ron Paul pushing for a more libertarian approach. This is the only way i see republicans pulling off a comeback in 2012 and in future elections to come. There has to be a total revamp of the party in and out. The party can not keep on asking and searching for a Ronald Regan because there will never be one. They need to find that person that can tackle the issues of our time, not of the past. If individuals like Sarah Palin are the ones in the driving seat get ready for a whoopin like 2008. People like her,Mccain, Jeb Bush, Mitt, and Sean Hannity are taking this party to the gutter and it will remain there until people like this get the hell out of the way. It's a damn shame.....

admiralsnackbar 07-04-09 07:46 AM

My guess is somebody showed her the money and offered her a talk show since she's talking about --paraphrase -- "changing America from outside of politics."

With a nationally-syndicated program she could put herself in the country's eye more often than she would governing AK. At the same time, she puts herself in a position to make WAY MORE MONEY, regardless of what she decides to do politically.