SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   The Cantina (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/cantina/)
-   -   800,000 Doses Of Kids' Flu Vaccine Recalled (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/cantina/79945-800-000-doses-kids-flu-vaccine-recalled.html)

Dulce 12-15-09 10:18 AM

800,000 Doses Of Kids' Flu Vaccine Recalled

:wtf

800,000 Doses Of Kids' Flu Vaccine Recalled
Tests Show Vaccine May Not Be Strong Enough To Protect Against Virus
MIKE STOBBE, AP Medical Writer

POSTED: Tuesday, December 15, 2009
UPDATED: 10:15 am CST December 15, 2009

ATLANTA -- Health officials are recalling hundreds of thousands of doses of swine flu vaccine after tests indicated they may not be potent enough to protect against the virus.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notified doctors about the recall Tuesday. The recall involves about 800,000 doses made by Sanofi Pasteur. The doses are pre-filled syringes intended for young children, ages 6 months to almost three years.

Health officials recommend children those ages get two doses, spaced about a month apart.

Health officials say it's not clear how many doses have already been given, but they don't think children need to be re-vaccinated. The lots passed potency tests when they were first shipped, but tests indicate the potency waned after.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

800,000 Doses Of Kids' Flu Vaccine Recalled - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio

jput 12-17-09 02:05 AM

H1N1 is a joke. People getting suckered into listening to the government/media to get the shot or nasal spray. Kind of funny that we don't hear much about it anymore. And when we do it's only about where you can get a shot. Tons of money wasted on crappy vaccines & Tamiflu (Only shortens the virus by a day). 200 million doses of vaccine ordered by the government to fight a so called pandemic. So after all the recalls & left over vaccines, can we get our money back? Much less, it'll be interesting to hear how much money was made on Tamiflu. Especially, when they raised the price of it. Price should have went down considering they have made so much Tamiflu this year. They made more this year than they have made in the 9 year history that they have been making it. Kind of crazy.

medigerati 01-03-10 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jputnam98942 (Post 1176214)
H1N1 is a joke. People getting suckered into listening to the government/media to get the shot or nasal spray. Kind of funny that we don't hear much about it anymore. And when we do it's only about where you can get a shot. Tons of money wasted on crappy vaccines & Tamiflu (Only shortens the virus by a day). 200 million doses of vaccine ordered by the government to fight a so called pandemic. So after all the recalls & left over vaccines, can we get our money back? Much less, it'll be interesting to hear how much money was made on Tamiflu. Especially, when they raised the price of it. Price should have went down considering they have made so much Tamiflu this year. They made more this year than they have made in the 9 year history that they have been making it. Kind of crazy.

Seriously, when you can avert even one death from any type of flu by having a simple shot, you chose to complain about the profits made? And seriously, do you remember having the flu? Feels like being run over a truck. If I had a choice between an extra day suffering from the flu or shelling out $50, I'd shell out the money and be happy to keep the $ flowing to the company saving me a day of my life.

I'm not saying the govt should be buying vaccines (in fact, i don't like that idea), but if someone wants to protect themselves from the flu (and any flu can be deadly) at the cost of $40 a year, I say more power to them.

My company gave out free shots (both seasonal and swine) b/c is saves them so much in lost productivity from sick days due to the flu. Yeah, real "crappy" vaccine there. I imagine they do plenty of research on cost/benefit and still feel it's worth it.