News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 09-15-09, 02:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Patrick Swayze dies at 57

Patrick Swayze dies at 57
by Staten Island Advance
Tuesday September 15, 2009, 12:48 AM

In this May 23, 2008 file photo, actor Patrick Swayze watches the Los Angeles Lakers and San Antonio Spurs play in the first half in Game 2 of the NBA Western Conference basketball finals in Los Angeles. Swayze's publicist Annett Wolf says the 57-year-old "Dirty Dancing" actor died Monday after a nearly two-year battle with pancreatic cancer.

LOS ANGELES -- Patrick Swayze, the hunky actor who danced his way into moviegoers' hearts with "Dirty Dancing" and then broke them with "Ghost," died Monday after a battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 57.

He died in Los Angeles "after facing the challenges of his illness for the last 20 months," said his publicist, Annett Wolf.

Fans of the actor were saddened to learn in March 2008 that Swayze was suffering from a particularly deadly form of cancer. He kept working despite the diagnosis, putting together a memoir with his wife and shooting "The Beast," an A&E drama series.

Swayze became a star with his performance as the misunderstood bad-boy Johnny Castle in "Dirty Dancing." As the son of a choreographer who began his career in musical theater, he seemed a natural to play the role.

It became an international phenomenon in the summer of 1987, spawning albums, an Oscar-winning hit song in "(I've Had) the Time of My Life," stage productions and a sequel, 2004's "Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights," in which he made a cameo.

Swayze performed and co-wrote a song on the soundtrack, the ballad "She's Like the Wind," inspired by his wife, Lisa Niemi. The film also gave him the chance to utter the now-classic line, "Nobody puts Baby in a corner."

Swayze followed that up with the 1989 action flick "Road House," in which he played a bouncer at a rowdy bar. But it was his performance in 1990's "Ghost" that showed his vulnerable, sensitive side. He starred as a murdered man trying to communicate with his fiancee (Demi Moore) -- with great frustration and longing -- through a psychic played by Whoopi Goldberg.

Swayze earned three Golden Globe nominations, for "Dirty Dancing," "Ghost" and 1995's "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar."

--- Contributed by the Associated Press

Patrick Swayze dies at 57 - SILive.com
GO SPURS GO
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-15-09, 02:11 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I bet he's going to make an amazing "Ghost 2" !
Old 09-15-09, 02:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
I bet he's going to make an amazing "Ghost 2" !
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!