News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-06-09, 06:20 PM
Dr. Dash

Lopez promises an edgy show

Web Posted: 08/06/2009 12:00 CDT
By Jeanne Jakle- Express-News

PASADENA, Calif. — When George Lopez performs Saturday in the AT&T Center, people around the country will be watching the show live on HBO.

Lopez said the concert/special will be “very adult, very edgy, very politically on the line,” and, most important, “memorable.”

“It might be one of those times we catch lightning in a bottle,” the actor/comedian said after a media session in California for “Lopez Tonight,” his upcoming late-night TBS show.

The HBO special, “George Lopez: Tall, Dark & Chicano,” airs at 9 p.m. Saturday. It's his second solo special for the premium cable channel. He said it also could be his last — at least for a while — because he'll be preoccupied with his new five-night-a-week talk show, which debuts in the fall.

He chose San Antonio as the special's site because he loves the city and the city loves him. When he performed last year at the AT&T Center, it was awesome “to have 13,000 people who completely love you and love what you say and love what you do. It's a great town. It's a military town.”

Lopez, 48, said the show will be “pro-American and dedicated to the men and women of the armed forces.” It also will touch on issues that everyone can relate to: “There will be stuff about kids, sexuality, getting older.”

Lopez said he's training for the concert/special like a boxer preparing for a title fight. “I'm simplifying my life,” he said, “traveling and resting.”

He'll also be getting support from one of the best in the business: renowned producer/director Marty Callner. He directed Lopez's first HBO special, “George Lopez: America's Mexican,” and has worked his magic for artists Chris Rock, Justin Timberlake, Madonna, Jerry Seinfeld and Robin Williams.

Callner is a veteran Emmy nominee and is up for several awards again this year, one of which is a best-directing nod for HBO's critically acclaimed “Will Ferrell on Broadway Live,” Ferrell's performance as George W. Bush.

Despite his decades of experience, Callner doesn't take his latest challenge lightly. Like Lopez, he is in heavy preparation mode. He said he's studying Lopez at stops along the way to get a better feel for what he'll do in San Antonio.

“We haven't even done a rehearsal,” he said in a phone chat. “This show is as live and dangerous as it gets.”

Anything could happen, Callner said. “It could be a great success or something could go very wrong.”

He said he loves working with Lopez because he's “always himself and really knows what he's doing up there.” All Lopez's material for the special will be 100 percent new, he added.

Callner is particularly excited about shooting in San Antonio. Considering how the city connects with Lopez, “this audience could push him to another level,” he said.

Callner's challenge technically? To make this big, splashy special “an intimate experience for the people at home,” he said. “I want to give everyone the best seat in the house.”

Can't wait!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-09-09, 10:54 PM
SpursReport Rookie

saw it on hbo.same old routine
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-09-09, 10:55 PM
SpursReport Rookie

by the way that tattoo sucked.looked very little like him.
Old 08-10-09, 01:30 PM
Administrator

George Lopez Visits Purple-Heart Vets

Comedian Made Stop At Brooke Army Medical Center
Comedian George Lopez paid a special visit to a group wounded warriors who were awarded the Purple Heart at Brooke Army Medical Center Friday morning.

Lopez, who is in town for an HBO comedy special, said he likes to support U.S. troops any way he can.

"You know, every chance I get, whether I'm in D.C. or I'm in San Antonio, as a supporter of wounded warriors, I make a point to come and visit the men and women," Lopez said.

Staff Sgt. Kelvin Hunt, Sgts. Torrey Kramer and Juan Santiago Velazquez, Spc. Daniel Delbosque and Pvt. Sean Beck were all honored Friday morning. All five soldiers were stationed in Iraq at the time of their injuries.

Lopez, known for his sometimes over the top behavior on stage, said that if it weren't for the troops securing his freedom of speech, he probably wouldn't be able to act the way he does.

"I'm probably going to say some things that are pretty wild," Lopez said, "but if it wasn't for these people, I wouldn't be able to say those things. So in appreciation, I'm here."

Copyright 2009 by KSAT.com All rights reserved.