Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > The Cantina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-09, 11:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Actress serves up Frostys for charity

Web Posted: 06/17/2009 10:00 CDT

Recommend 1 By David DeKunder - Staff Writer/Northeast Herald

A special group of children and customers who came by a local Wendy's last Thursday were served Frostys by a famed Hollywood actress, all in the name of promoting child adoptions.

Eva Longoria-Parker, star of TV's “Desperate Housewives” and wife of San Antonio Spur Tony Parker, served Frostys to a family of adopted children and posed for pictures during a visit at the Wendy's in The Forum at Agora Parkway — an event held to promote Wendy's third annual Father's Day Frosty Weekend and promote the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption.

The foundation is named for the late founder of Wendy's, who was adopted as a child. During the annual Father's Day Frosty Weekend this Saturday and Sunday, participating Wendy's restaurants across the country will donate 50 cents to the foundation for every Frosty it sells.

Amid TV cameras and reporters, the actress entered the restaurant's kitchen and brought a tray of Frostys to the Martinez family, who were seated at a row of tables. The actress gave each of the 11 children, all adopted by Jesse and Suzanne Martinez of San Antonio, their choice of a chocolate or vanilla Frosty treat. The children showed their appreciation to the “Desperate Housewives” star by writing messages of thanks and drawing happy faces and crosses on a banner.

Longoria-Parker complimented the Martinez family and Jesse and Suzanne Martinez, who have adopted 14 children, ages 3 to 23, over the past 16 years.

“You are an amazing family,” Longoria-Parker said. “You are a special family.”

Serving and working in the kitchen brought back memories for the actress, who worked at a Wendy's in her native Corpus Christi while in high school.

“Anytime I walk into a Wendy's it brings back a flood of memories of late nights and cleaning and hard work,” she said. “It was really a fun experience for me. I owe a lot to the Wendy's organization because they helped form my work ethic; that to be my first job really set the pace for how I work now in the entertainment industry, where it is just hard work and you just suck it up and keep going.”

Longoria-Parker, whose foundation Eva's Heroes raises money and awareness for people with special needs, said she supports companies such as Wendy's who give back to the communities that support their restaurants, especially when it comes to helping children.

“I love my philanthropic work with children, whether it's children with cancer or children with special needs,” she said. “For me whenever they ask me to be a part of this, in support of foster children, I jump at the chance. To give 50 percent of a profit from a product (Frosty) is a big deal for a company to do. So I commend Wendy's for doing that.”

Jesse Martinez said he and his family had prior knowledge of who would be serving them Frostys when they arrived at the Wendy's in The Forum.

“We were told she was going to be here today, and that was kind of exciting for most of the older kids,” the father said. “The little ones really didn't know who she was but when we shared the association of her husband (Spurs guard) Tony Parker, they were like, ‘Oh ok, pretty neat.' So they are excited.”

Jesse Martinez said it is good to see someone as famous as the actress promoting and encouraging more people to adopt.

“It is exciting for us. It is a great opportunity to meet somebody famous who might help make a difference,” he said.

“If somebody like Ms. Longoria can come along and add to the idea of adoption, and the reason and the need to do it, I think that is wonderful,” Jesse Martinez added.

GO SPURS GO
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-09, 09:44 AM
SpursReport Team Bench