News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > The Cantina

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-09, 04:04 PM
Dr. Dash

The Gregg Popovich / SR Wine Club-NEW WINE SELECTION IS UP-6/8

Oenophiles are devoted to wine.

Oenophilia (pronounced /ˌɛnoʊˈfɪliə/, roughly eh-no-fill-ee-uh), originally from Greek, is the love (philia) of wine (oinos). An oenophile (/ˈiːnoʊfaɪl/) is a lover of wine. In the strictest sense, oenophilia describes a disciplined devotion to wine, accompanying strict traditions of consumption and appreciation. In a general sense however, oenophilia simply refers to the enjoyment of wine, often by laymen.

Oenophiles are also known as wine aficionados or connoisseurs. They are people who appreciate or collect wine, particularly grape wines from certain regions, varietal types, or methods of manufacture. While most oenophiles are hobbyists, some may also be professionals like vintners, wine merchants, or one who tastes and grades wines for a living.

This group is dedicated to Coach Pop and his love for wine!

Everyone is invited to join and we would like to have a wine tasting once or twice a month if there is interest.

Of course I'll be drinking wine every weekend and you're more than happy to join me.

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/gr...wine-club.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-17-09, 01:56 AM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

Are the brown paper bag varieties, box wines and screw types acceptable? And I don't sniff corks or bicycle seats either.

Just kidding, a good dry Cabernet with a grilled steak is hard to beat.

But most of the time it just a good beer as adult beverage of choice.
Go Rox!
Old 05-17-09, 02:00 AM
Dr. Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWest View Post
Are the brown paper bag varieties, box wines and screw types acceptable? And I don't sniff corks or bicycle seats either.

Just kidding, a good dry Cabernet with a grilled steak is hard to beat.

But most of the time it just a good beer as adult beverage of choice.
Go Rox!
when it's your turn to choose you can choose whatever you like - box and all.

yes go Rox.

Go join Jwest.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-18-09, 01:57 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I've had a couple bottles of Pop's Rock and Hammer wine. Not too bad. The man has good taste.
Old 05-18-09, 11:56 PM

so when does this shindig happen? lol
Old 05-19-09, 12:11 AM
Dr. Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
so when does this shindig happen? lol

I thought I would make the first suggestion, Friday May 22nd and we could come back here May 30th and Discuss it. That way we it gives everyone enough time to try to find the wine and come back here and we could drink it and discuss what we think about it. Then we could take turns and someone else could chose a wine and we could do the same thing and so on. Gives us something to do during the off season.
Old 05-19-09, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Jose, go join.
Old 05-19-09, 07:05 PM
Dr. Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAGuy View Post
I've had a couple bottles of Pop's Rock and Hammer wine. Not too bad. The man has good taste.
So was this Pop's own wine from some vineyard or just a wine he really likes?
Old 05-19-09, 09:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Count me in!
GO SPURS GO
Old 05-21-09, 01:36 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post
So was this Pop's own wine from some vineyard or just a wine he really likes?
My family bought a case of his signature rock and hammer wine from a charity event and gave me a couple of bottles. It's to my knowledge that the only way to get ahold of his wine is to buy it from charity events that he donates it to or if he personally gives some to you. Pretty sure its the same wine he gives to other coaches. Good stuff.
Old 05-21-09, 03:24 PM
SpursReport Rookie

This sounds pretty cool. I have been enjoying buying one new wine a week and trying it out. I want to try Pop's wine!!!
And do not worry about what you should drink or eat, nor have an anxious mind. For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows you need these things. But seek the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added to you.
Luke 12:29-31
Old 05-21-09, 05:49 PM
Dr. Dash

Great!! Welcome aboard!

Go join our group.
Old 05-21-09, 05:51 PM
Dr. Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAGuy View Post
My family bought a case of his signature rock and hammer wine from a charity event and gave me a couple of bottles. It's to my knowledge that the only way to get ahold of his wine is to buy it from charity events that he donates it to or if he personally gives some to you. Pretty sure its the same wine he gives to other coaches. Good stuff.
That's cool. I wonder if i could get a hold of a bottle.
Old 05-21-09, 07:18 PM
Dr. Dash

Here's an article that might be helpful to get started.

A few simple pointers for maximizing your enjoyment - Temperature, glassware, and breathing

CLICK HERE TO READ THE ARTICLE
Old 05-21-09, 09:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Wow I didn't know about the actual "room" temperature. Thanks!

So, when will we know what our first wine will be?
Old 05-22-09, 07:06 AM
Dr. Dash

Later today.
Old 05-22-09, 12:40 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

[email protected]
Old 05-22-09, 07:44 PM
Dr. Dash

Ok let's get this thing started:

Since we really don't want to start off with some heavy duty wine, I picked two so you can have your choice on which one to try:

1. Wine review: Chateau Famaey Cahors Malbec Rose 2008

The Famaey (about $10) is made with malbec from the southern French region of Cahors. It’s a strawberry bombshell, which was a bit surprising. The French are supposed to be a bit more subtle than this. But it was also bone dry, and any hints of sweetness come from the intense strawberry flavor. That’s because our brains are used to associating that kind of fruitiness with sweetness (think of a Jolly Rancher). Hence, we assume that it’s sweet. I would have preferred a little more acid to balance the fruit, but there is certainly nothing wrong with the wine.

Drink this well chilled as an aperitif or with any kind of picnic food. I’d also try to slip it past a white zinfandel drinker. The results could be fun.

2. Hogue Chenin Blanc

Chenin Blanc produces the classic crisp, dry wines of the Loire in France. It is also widely planted in California and South Africa. But in Washington, our combination of warm days, cool nights and a long growing season allows us to make a consistently ripe Chenin Blanc full of lively fruit character and good balance. The 2005 Chenin Blanc is medium-bodied with bright aromas and flavors of lemon, melon, mineral, and clover honey. The acidity and sugar are balanced, the finish dry. This Chenin Blanc would be great paired with Thai curry, pasta salad, or try it as an aperitif.

a⋅pé⋅ri⋅tif [ah-per-i-teef, uh-per-; Fr. a-pey-ree-teef] Show IPA
–noun, plural -tifs [-teefs; Fr. -teef] Show IPA . 1. a small drink of alcoholic liquor taken to stimulate the appetite before a meal.
2. Also called apéritif wine. a wine served as an appetizer or cocktail.

Those are your two wines for this weekend. Seek them out, find them, chill them, drink them and let us know what you think about them.

Any questions/comments?

Old 05-24-09, 10:17 PM
Dr. Dash

Zinfandel and Barbecue for Memorial Day
A rib recipe from New York's Blue Smoke restaurant, plus nine great Zinfandels to pour alongside.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE STORY
Old 05-24-09, 11:15 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

YES SIR! You know I love drinking Dasher!

I don't like Wine like Pop does though. I will drink a glass or two though.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-24-09, 11:24 PM
Dr. Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
YES SIR! You know I love drinking Dasher!

I don't like Wine like Pop does though. I will drink a glass or two though.
I know.

But go join and when it's your turn you can pick a beer for all of us to try.
Old 05-25-09, 11:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Ok I bought my bottle. As soon as I drink it I will report on it.
Old 06-08-09, 09:27 PM
Dr. Dash

Thanks for your review Sparkle.

We have a new wine up for tasting: Verdi Spumante 750ml

Go check out the group forum for more info.