News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > The Cantina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-09, 03:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

`Star Trek' boldly goes to $31M at box office

`Star Trek' boldly goes to $31M at box office (AP)
Source: AP 2 hours, 40 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - "Star Trek" has gone to warp speed at the box office with $31 million in domestic ticket sales after just over a day in theaters.

Distributor Paramount said "Star Trek" took in $24 million Friday, plus $7 million during preview screenings Thursday night.

Paramount estimates that by the end of the weekend the movie will be near or over $70 million in ticket sales.

That puts the movie light years ahead of the previous 10 "Trek" movies.

The best opening weekend ever for the franchise was $30.7 million for 1996's "Star Trek: First Contact." According to inflation-adjusted numbers compiled by Hollywood.com, that translates to $51.2 million in today's dollars.

`Star Trek' boldly goes to $31M at box office (AP) - Yahoo! Movies
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-09-09, 07:25 PM
SR Team Goof

I could never get beyond the Jim Kirk (William Shatner) ‘Star Trek’ TV series episodes and movies. In my mind, it’s hard to beat the original crew of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Scotty, Sulu, Chekov and the rest. So, you Trekkies out there, is this new ‘Star Trek’ addition worth a trip to the local cinema to view or are the box office results just a reflection of people just starving to see something with ‘Star Trek’ in the title?
Old 05-09-09, 08:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I liked it in spite of myself.

I'm not some huge Trekkie, but if it were a tool of education I have a HS diploma in Trek-dom.

I don't want to ruin the story, because I believe thats the incredible strength of the movie. It keeps tradition and cannon in all the right places, and yet does something bold and innovative with the story and characters. It's worth the $9 to make up your own mind, but I would say there is a 75% chance if you are/were a fan you'll walk away enjoyed the film to some degree...

the film looks great on the big screen, and just for the effects and action sequences it's worth the money.

I say, do yourself a favor, see it, and if you're a rabid strict Trekkie you will walk away with a decision. I think for everyone else, it will be a good movie, and for some it is Great.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-09-09, 10:21 PM
SpursReport Rookie

i liked it too .not a star trek fan more of a star wars .it blew the phantom menace out of the water or space.
Old 05-10-09, 08:36 AM
On like Donkey Kong

I am a long-time Trek fan, going back over 20 years. I loved what they did here--respectful to the old material, but finding a means to set their own course (which, really, is necessary for any meaningful future storytelling). They clearly know their stuff, and yet are not afraid to make some brave choices. On top of all this, the new cast is top-notch. They don't impersonate the original characters so much as find out what made them live and breathe and capture those elements.

I definitely think this is worth at least the price of a movie ticket if you are on the fence.
Old 05-10-09, 10:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm a huuuuuuuge Trekkie, and I loved this movie. I've thought for a long time that Trek needed a total re-work. . .and boy, did they re-work it!
Old 05-10-09, 11:53 PM
Dr. Dash

Wow Sounds like a pretty good movie. I guess I'll have to go and see it.
Old 05-11-09, 05:42 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

While I like the movie if this means we go back to TOS style episodes I think it's a giant step back.
Old 05-11-09, 10:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

== SPOILER ALERT ==

I'm not a big Trekkie...I only liked the early movies. I did enjoy this movie though. Definitely my style of action.

But let me ask you guys this, because this kind of bothered me and maybe I missed something (DAMN YOU Alamodraft House waiters!):

Why were federation planets like Vulcan and Earth so completely defenseless? I understand Nero used his futuristic ship to ambush the Federation at Vulcan, so they kind of get a pass, but Earth? I mean, all Spock had to do was fly his little ship and blast the drill in half. I was like, wow, that was easy. You'd think that no matter what the Federation fleet is involved in, they would leave something to defend the surface of Earth? You're telling me that on the entire planet of Earth, there wasn't a single spaceship capable of doing what Spock did? Like, in case they try to drill a hole into our core and drop some red matter into it, we'll leave a few gunships behind. Speaking of the red matter, I think that without drilling into the core, by creating a singularity just in the general area is going to cause some major problems. So tell me Trekkies, have I got it all wrong?