LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-09, 05:50 PM
Dr. Dash

Classes Canceled At SCUCISD This Week Due To Swine Flu

Classes Canceled At SCUCISD This Week Due To Swine Flu
Extracurricular Activities Also Called Off

POSTED: Sunday, April 26, 2009
UPDATED: 4:33 pm CDT April 26, 2009

SAN ANTONIO -- The Texas Department of State Health Services on Sunday announced that all 14 schools and district facilities in the Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City Independent School District will be closed effective immediately after several more flu-like illnesses have been discovered in the department's ongoing swine flu investigation.

The closure will be in effect for at least a week.

The announcement comes one day after health officials announced the closure of Steele High School, where two students contracted the disease and a third case was pending.

All extracurricular activities also were cancelled.

"We don't have lab confirmation for any of the additional flu-like illnesses yet, but we've found enough illnesses associated with some of the other schools that we believe it's prudent to close all of them before classes resume on Monday," said Sandra Guerra, a DSHS regional director and the public health authority for Guadalupe County.

School staff, faculty, students and their household members were urged to avoid contact with others, especially if they have symptoms of a respiratory illness.

Symptoms of swine flu in people are similar to those of regular or seasonal flu and include fever, fatigue, lack of appetite and coughing. Some with swine flu also have reported runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Health officials urged the following precautions be taken to reduce the spread of any respiratory illness.

Stay home when you are sick to avoid spreading illness to others.
Cough or sneeze into the crook of your elbow or a tissue and properly dispose of used tissues.
Wash hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and warm water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

Anyone with questions about swine flu is urged to call DSHS at 888-777-5320.

Updated information related to closures at SCUCISD can be accessed by visiting the school district's Web site or by calling 210-619-4700 for recorded updates.

Copyright 2009 by KSAT.com All rights reserved.

Classes Canceled At SCUCISD This Week Due To Swine Flu - Health News Story - KSAT San Antonio
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-09, 12:40 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Classes and Churches and some other places in Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City were shut down for at least a week until they find a cure for this rare cases.

My quesiton is if those folks infected say they never travelled to Mexico or never had any contact with pigs or such animals how did they get this illness?
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-28-09, 12:17 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Humans transfer the illness. If you've been in contact with someone who has the strain you can acquire it.
Old 04-28-09, 01:31 AM
admin

Old 04-28-09, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
Humans transfer the illness. If you've been in contact with someone who has the strain you can acquire it.
That I understand how the illness is transferred by someone carrying it and sneezes in front of your face. I guess what I was wondering was how did it transfer from Mexico to here...I guess it is logical to suggest someone was coming from Mexico to the US sneezed or coughed near those people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Thanks for the Very Good informative Video

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 04-28-09, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post
That I understand how the illness is transferred by someone carrying it and sneezes in front of your face. I guess what I was wondering was how did it transfer from Mexico to here...I guess it is logical to suggest someone was coming from Mexico to the US sneezed or coughed near those people...

Thanks for the Very Good informative Video
We're talkin about a virus with an animal vector (swine influenza).

Now, think on all the people who traveled to Mexico during Spring Break. Swine Influenza's population mixed with human influenza over the course of the last month, so that at some time the delivery vector was altered in these mixed populations to produce a virus that has the properties of swine influenza with a delivery mechanism for humans.
Old 04-28-09, 11:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I am so enthused about this. I just arrived in San Antonio on Monday night & am staying at my folks new house in Schertz (they just moved in last week). My wife & I are not so much concerned about us, as much as we are our 2 1/2 year old daughter. We had planned on doing a lot of things around town & have since cancelled some of them. One thing I am happy about, is that my family knows some of the absolute best doctors in San Anontio & can see them at anytime. It pays to know people (especially doctors).
Old 04-29-09, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
We're talkin about a virus with an animal vector (swine influenza).

Now, think on all the people who traveled to Mexico during Spring Break. Swine Influenza's population mixed with human influenza over the course of the last month, so that at some time the delivery vector was altered in these mixed populations to produce a virus that has the properties of swine influenza with a delivery mechanism for humans.

Good Point. This Virus could have travelled with those kids during Spring Break...
Hopfully the Doctors will isolate those cases and treat them well.

Go Spurs Go!!!!