News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > The Cantina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-09, 06:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Suprised... no threads about BSG

I liked the series finale...a little too political at the end. But overall it was pretty good!
Old 03-21-09, 09:12 PM
Dr. Dash

What is BSG?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-21-09, 09:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

battlestar galactica
Old 03-21-09, 09:43 PM
Dr. Dash

aww I see. Did you see it? What happened?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-22-09, 02:49 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Q&A: "Battlestar" producer Moore looks ahead

By James Hibberd – Sat Mar 21, 4:55 pm ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – As with "The Sopranos" and "The Shield," fans of the Sci Fi Channel series "Battlestar Galactica" eagerly awaited the show's finale, fretting over whether it would live up to their expectations.

In the lead-up to the final episode, which aired Friday (March 20), Ron Moore, the show's developer, writer, executive producer and showrunner, spoke about his Peabody Award-winning reimagination of the 1978 series, upcoming projects and the one genre he'd like to tackle next.

The Hollywood Reporter: How do you think fans will react to the "Battlestar" finale?

Ron Moore: I don't know. I'm sure there will be a lot of discussion. They have a lot of different expectations for what they think it's going to be, and a lot of opinions about how it should be. All of us who worked on the finale feel good about it, that this is the ending of the story we wanted to make.

THR: Is there any chance of doing something with these same characters that takes place either before or after this series finale? Or is this It?

Moore: We did a stand-alone movie called "The Plan." But there's no plans to do anything else with the "Galactica" cast.

THR: Universal is developing a "Battlestar" movie with original series creator Glen Larson. How do you feel about that?

Moore: More power to them. I don't know anything about it; they didn't talk to me about it. I've always said if somebody wanted to do a continuation of the original, that's fine by me. It doesn't have anything to do with what we've done.

THR: You also have the pilot "Virtuality" at Fox. Last we heard it was being recut. How's it looking?

Moore: They haven't officially turned it down, they haven't officially moved it forward. We'll just have to wait and see.

THR: Any update on the theatrical remake of "The Thing" you're writing?
Moore: It's in development. I've done my drafts, they've hired a director and we're just waiting to see if Universal will green-light it.

THR: As a person who used to write for "Star Trek" shows, what do you think of the new movie, from what you've seen?

Moore: I'm very encouraged. I salute them for going back to the beginning and revitalizing it. I think that's exactly what the franchise needed.

THR: You're also working on the "Battlestar" prequel series "Caprica," which you've described as a more terrestrial-based drama. Are you concerned "Battlestar" fans will be like, "Where are the space battles?"

Moore: I'm sure there will be a contingent of fans that won't appreciate it because it doesn't have those elements, but that's OK. It was a calculated risk, and we're hoping to gather fans who don't traditionally come to this genre as well. There's a chunk of people out there who hold sci-fi at arm's length, and this is an opportunity to bring them in. And I think most people who enjoyed "Battlestar" watched it for the character interactions and the stories, with the action-adventure components as icing on the cake. They probably didn't show up every week hoping something will blow up.

THR: There's a push among broadcast networks toward close-ended, non-serialized shows -- like crime procedurals -- the idea being that serialized dramas are increasingly high-risk.

Moore: I think they've always been high-risk and networks have always had an aversion to it. Network executives generally live in fear, and their fear is always that (the viewer is) going to be confused. It's unfortunate because some of the greatest shows have been serialized and featured continuing characters. Audiences of serialized shows tend to become avid and dedicated viewers interested in exploring the show's universe online and consumers of additional merchandising. I think network executives are somewhat myopic because they go for the easiest answer. "Let's make it tidy and all wrapped up so the audience doesn't have to remember what happened last week." The audience is smart. They like catching up on things. They have a wide menu of ways at this point to catch up on shows. It just doesn't seem like it's the big scary monster a lot of networks would have you believe.

THR: Is there a type of TV show that you haven't done that you've always wanted to do?

Moore: Yeah. I've always wanted to do a Western.

THR: A lot of TV showrunners, when asked their favorite shows, list "Battlestar." What shows are you watching right now?

Moore: I tend to watch a lot of "Seinfeld," news programing, "Mad Men" -- and I'm looking forward to "Breaking Bad." I watch Bill Maher, Charlie Rose, "Project Runway" and "Top Chef." I don't watch a lot of (dramas) other than what I just named, mostly because there's a part of my brain going "how many sets have they used?" It's not as entertaining; I get analytical and it becomes work.

THR: Is there anything about sci-fi shows that you think "Galactica" has changed?
Moore: One of the goals going into it (was) we wanted to make a sci-fi show that was relevant and spoke to our times and dealt with real issues that approached the drama in a naturalistic way and made it "real." If we're able to define a legacy of asking other shows to do the same in the genre and keep sci-fi going in a way that tackles meaningful ideas and challenges audience expectations, I think that would be a great thing.

(Editing by Sheri Linden at Reuters)

Old 03-25-09, 08:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo View Post
I liked the series finale...a little too political at the end. But overall it was pretty good!
Thought the finale was decent. A little too much lovey-dovey stuff at the end and I wish they could explain everything without resorting to it just being "God's Plan".

I am glad however that they didn't end it with the colony and humans living in peace. A nice twist to see them fight it to the end. It was also pretty cool to see cylons fighting cylons.
Old 04-06-09, 01:44 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I got on the Galactica train late and finished it late.

That's why I'm only now posting.

I thought it was fantastic. I'm not sure about lovey dovey, after all the misery of the show it was nice to see some happiness and actual resolution.

As far as God, the show went out of its way to make everything make sense from a logical perspective except for the people that it stated (from nearly the beginning) were agents of God. Three things made that ending especially sweet.

As a history teacher one thing I always emphasize is the repetition of events, even over the course of thousands of years. On that note, the mantra that "Everything that has happened before will happen again" and the fact that it is on us to begin to break the cycles of violence is something not lost upon me.

Second, agents of God portrayed in a sci fi series? Well done for the most part, always intriguing, and as a believer I had no problems with its level of integration. Given that I take the side of God as the great force that restrains from using direct force (in almost all cases) it was interesting. I heavily subscribe to mankind as a single organism in the middle of a maturation process, that must endure its own set of struggles before full adulthood (an existence absence of enforced peace, one achieved). So the notion of repeated cycles in quest of one day breaking cycles is, again, not lost on me.

Lastly, regardless of all spiritual things, I love this planet and its inhabitants. My online persona may be at times gruff, but there isn't a person on the forums I would wish harm on. This planet is grand, beautiful, and amazing. The level of biodiversity written across the face of this planet is nothing short of staggering. Simply examining the Amazon will tell you that, and I don't believe it's all accidental. Now the process by which it was achieved is up to you to settle upon, but in the end it is wild, exotic and mind blowing. It is beautiful, a starship set adrift in the cosmos, bearing upon it all the ingredients necessary to prepare a species for eventual exploration of the stars.

From the planet's perfect rotation around the sun to this solar system's positioning in the Habitation Zone, not to mention its perfect placement to allow for stargazing without being blinded by the innumerable stars, the prerequisites met for life origins, to the current state of biodiversity, nothing short of staggering statistic breaking feats have allowed for the appearance of life and the appearance of a high level thinking organism such as man.

In the end, my last thoughts on the show were, let's not waste the incredible gift we've been given.

BTW, Adama - Hebrew for "Earth" though I'm sure the connections to Adam are obvious.