News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 02-19-09, 12:06 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Processor Upgrade?

I have an Intel 1.8ghz Core 2 Duo processor that I want to replace with a processor that has more horsepower. Is there a website that will scan my computer and tell me which processors are compatible with my existing motherboard? My computer is a Dell e520 Dimension.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-19-09, 07:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNative View Post
I have an Intel 1.8ghz Core 2 Duo processor that I want to replace with a processor that has more horsepower. Is there a website that will scan my computer and tell me which processors are compatible with my existing motherboard? My computer is a Dell e520 Dimension.
Not sure about a website that automatically does that, but you can get some useful motherboard info using CPU-Z.

CPUID

Download and run. CPU->Package is probably LGA 775 if you have a Core 2. Check the info under mainboard too. There will probably be some Dell motherboard name. The motherboard model and the chipset info will be helpful.

You won't be able to get a Core i7 (Nehalem) with your current motherboard, but you can probably stick a Core 2 Quad in there and it should work fine and give you a nice performance boost.

If you post some of the specs on here I'll take a look.

"There are many dying children out there whose last wish is to meet me" -David Hasselhoff
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-19-09, 10:51 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurfan15 View Post
.... but you can probably stick a Core 2 Quad in there and it should work fine and give you a nice performance boost....
Thanks for the advice and the link.
Old 02-20-09, 11:02 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNative View Post
Thanks for the advice and the link.
Sure thing. I'd still be a little cautious about which processor you get. A C2Q should work, but there are some variables, like BIOS and power supply capability.

It looks like some people have successfully done an upgrade to Q6600/Q6700 based on the dell community (link 1/link 2), but the official processor list for that system seems to be this:

Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo processors: E6300
Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo processor 4300
Intel® Pentium® D 930 with Dual-Core Technology (3GHz, 800FSB)
Intel® Pentium® D 915 with Dual-Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)
Intel® Pentium® D 820 with Dual-Core Technology (2.66GHz, 533FSB)
Intel® Pentium® 4
Intel Celeron 346
Intel® G965 Express Chipset

If you do upgrade, it'd probably help to use a good thermal compound like arctic silver along with a decent heatsink.

"There are many dying children out there whose last wish is to meet me" -David Hasselhoff

Last edited by Spurfan15; 02-20-09 at 11:07 AM.