News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > The Cantina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-09, 11:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Tom Cruise says Scientology helped him overcome dyslexia

Sun Jan 4, 1:35 pm ET

MADRID (AFP) – US actor Tom Cruise, one of Scientology's best-known adherents, overcame the effects of his dyslexia thanks to the church's teachings, he said in an interview published on Sunday.

He told "XL Semanal," the weekly magazine supplement of daily Spanish newspaper ABC, that at the age of seven he was diagnosed as having the language-based learning disability that can include problems in reading, spelling, writing and pronouncing words.
"I asked myself if I was normal or an idiot. I would try to concentrate but I felt anxiety, frustration, boredom. When I graduated from high school in 1980 I was functionally illiterate," he said.

"Nobody gave me a solution and I wanted to know why the system had failed. Finally, as an adult I learned to read perfectly through the method of (Scientology's late founder) L. Ron Hubbard," the 46-year-old added.

The Church of Scientology, founded in 1954 in the United States by Hubbard, a science-fiction writer, teaches that technology can expand the mind and help solve problems.

Cruise's advocacy of Scientology, which has some 10 million members around the world, has sometimes landed him in hot water in the past.

German authorities were initially reluctant to allow the makers of Cruise's latest movie "Valkyrie" -- about a plot to kill Adolf Hitler -- at German military sites because the actor is a Scientologist.

The German government does not recognize Scientology as a church. It argues the organization masquerades as a religion to make money, a charge Scientology leaders reject.

Tom Cruise says Scientology helped him overcome dyslexia - Yahoo! News
Old 01-04-09, 11:40 PM
SpursReport Team Member

IT'S A MIRACLE!!!

What a looney!
Old 01-05-09, 02:34 PM
Dr. Dash

I bet the air conditioning in their "Churches" are pumping out some kind of drugs to make them act like this.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-06-09, 12:19 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Here we go. Now all the celebs are going to talk up their retardology. Make it sound all good after the Travolta death.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-06-09, 01:00 AM
SpursReport Team Member

That's ridiculous.
Old 01-06-09, 02:47 AM
Dr. Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jputnam98942 View Post
Here we go. Now all the celebs are going to talk up their retardology. Make it sound all good after the Travolta death.
yep, you're probably right.
Old 01-06-09, 03:19 AM
SpursReport Team Member

A psychologist would argue Cruise developed coping strategies which ultimately enabled him to manage his dyslexia. Evidence suggests intensive guided reading -- like many actors do when they're learning and practicing their lines, for example -- would be one way to do this.

But it was probably spending millions of dollars getting his energies unblocked that really put that condition to bed.