News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-09-07, 09:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Father of the Week

I'm father of the week at my son's school. I'm nervous. I have to speak to them for about 15 minutes about what I do for a living and what my son and I like to do together. I have no problems with public speaking, and if fact do so regularly to high ranking senior officials at work. But there's something a little intimidating about 10 5-year olds with no attention span. I have no idea what to say. Plus, all year long, my son has come home with cool chotchkies from the various places of employment from the other Father's of the Week...I ordered some cool piggy banks from the online employee store, but they haven't arrived yet. So, I sent my wife to WalMart to put together some seriously loaded candy bags, hoping that the candy will distract from the fact that I have no cool stuff from my job.

dhead arrrrrrggggghhhhhhh
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-09-07, 09:41 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about the Hoff

Sith
Old 05-09-07, 09:44 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I thought it would be about you-know-who

There appear to be so many worthy candidates.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-09-07, 11:34 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I hope you are also going to contribute to the parents' increased dental bills Just kidding.

Candy + kids = win

$
Old 05-09-07, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Allright...scrambling worked today.

I hit up training and got some notepads and pencils, both with the company logo. I hit up the communications team and got company keychains and lollipops with the company logo on them. Then I hit up HR and got some squishy balls with the company logo and some pens with the company logo.

I'm all set.
Old 05-09-07, 12:45 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

/me knocks Scrub down and jacks his company paraphernalia.
Old 05-09-07, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAScrub View Post
Allright...scrambling worked today.

I hit up training and got some notepads and pencils, both with the company logo. I hit up the communications team and got company keychains and lollipops with the company logo on them. Then I hit up HR and got some squishy balls with the company logo and some pens with the company logo.

I'm all set.
Yay That is much better than candy.
Old 05-09-07, 12:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Well, my wife just informed me that one of the dads is a firefighter, and his happy ass showed up a couple of weeks ago with the whole damn fire truck, complete with dudes in full uniform.

Hmph. I guess I'll just have to drag the whole damn bank down there, tellers and all!
Old 05-09-07, 12:54 PM

You Go Scrub!
Old 05-09-07, 12:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyspur View Post
Firemen!
My father in-law is a fireman, and he's a fatass. There's nothing about that guy.
Old 05-09-07, 03:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

You might want to give out the swag as "prizes" when kids answer some questions you quiz them with--just make sure everybody gets a prize.
Old 05-09-07, 04:07 PM

It's pretty cool that your kids school is doing this. Mom's are usually (not saying dads aren't involved because Albert is there just as much as me) the ones who are at the school doing things with kids classes and volunteering.
My girls school in Austin had a program called "Dads at the Door". Dads signed up to commit 4 weeks spread out over the school year to be at the front door of the school greeting kiddos when they come in the morning. Pretty neato.
Old 05-09-07, 04:08 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Damn I just thought about when I have kids. How am I gonna get an offshore oil rig to the school?

$
Old 05-09-07, 10:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i guess i'd better not do family law.. i don't think it would be good to explain to the children that i help their parents get divorced.
Old 05-09-07, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandiego View Post
i guess i'd better not do family law.. i don't think it would be good to explain to the children that i help their parents get divorced.
lol that would be bad
Old 05-10-07, 08:43 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Ok, so things went well.

I got there and the kids were sitting in a circle, and Mason and I sat at the front of the class. He brought a "Me Bag" from home with a few of his favorite things. He had Buzz and Woody, his Spurs foam finger, his golf glove, and his Mario Kart game. Then I told them a little bit about my job, then I talked a little bit about what my son and I do for fun. Then I told the kids to each ask one question about Mason, and one question about me and that was pretty funny.

Then my son said I was the best dad in the world because I was good at MarioKart and I unlocked all the courses and characters for him. Not because I'm smart, or funny, or cool, or I take care of him or any of that stuff...but because I'm good at MarioKart! Funny, but it made me stop and think that the little things like that make all the difference in the world to him...to all kids.
Old 05-10-07, 08:57 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Mariokart? Damn u are so my hero. Please come help me!

$
Old 05-10-07, 09:51 AM
SpursReport Rookie

awwww...im so glad things went well.

working as a counselor at an elementary...its always good to hear that parents are involved with their kids' schools. youd be surprised what it does to their ego. sadly...not all kids get that opportunity....

and the whole part where you said..."Funny, but it made me stop and think that the little things like that make all the difference in the world to him...to all kids." made me get teary eyed.

yes, im hormonal.

- mrs. enjay bee