SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   The Cantina (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/cantina/)
-   -   Father of the Week (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/cantina/66755-father-week.html)

SAScrub 05-09-07 09:27 AM

Father of the Week

I'm father of the week at my son's school. I'm nervous. I have to speak to them for about 15 minutes about what I do for a living and what my son and I like to do together. I have no problems with public speaking, and if fact do so regularly to high ranking senior officials at work. But there's something a little intimidating about 10 5-year olds with no attention span. I have no idea what to say. Plus, all year long, my son has come home with cool chotchkies from the various places of employment from the other Father's of the Week...I ordered some cool piggy banks from the online employee store, but they haven't arrived yet. So, I sent my wife to WalMart to put together some seriously loaded candy bags, hoping that the candy will distract from the fact that I have no cool stuff from my job.

:bandhead arrrrrrggggghhhhhhh

Sith Lord 05-09-07 09:41 AM

I thought this was going to be a thread about the Hoffhttp://manzam.cocolog-nifty.com/manz...mg_2_thumb.jpg

Sith

VDeal 05-09-07 09:44 AM

I thought it would be about you-know-who
http://www.shogomad.com/clans/baldwin-mad/alec18.jpg

There appear to be so many worthy candidates.

Money4Nothing 05-09-07 11:34 AM

I hope you are also going to contribute to the parents' increased dental bills :D Just kidding.

Candy + kids = win

$

SAScrub 05-09-07 11:39 AM

Allright...scrambling worked today.

I hit up training and got some notepads and pencils, both with the company logo. I hit up the communications team and got company keychains and lollipops with the company logo on them. Then I hit up HR and got some squishy balls with the company logo and some pens with the company logo.

I'm all set.

Money4Nothing 05-09-07 12:45 PM

/me knocks Scrub down and jacks his company paraphernalia.

TexasPandaMama 05-09-07 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAScrub (Post 1098067)
Allright...scrambling worked today.

I hit up training and got some notepads and pencils, both with the company logo. I hit up the communications team and got company keychains and lollipops with the company logo on them. Then I hit up HR and got some squishy balls with the company logo and some pens with the company logo.

I'm all set.

Yay :clap That is much better than candy.

SAScrub 05-09-07 12:53 PM

Well, my wife just informed me that one of the dads is a firefighter, and his happy ass showed up a couple of weeks ago with the whole damn fire truck, complete with dudes in full uniform.

Hmph. I guess I'll just have to drag the whole damn bank down there, tellers and all!

TexasPandaMama 05-09-07 12:54 PM

You Go Scrub!

SAScrub 05-09-07 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyspur (Post 1098163)
Firemen! :evil

My father in-law is a fireman, and he's a fatass. There's nothing :evil about that guy.

shelden 05-09-07 03:48 PM

You might want to give out the swag as "prizes" when kids answer some questions you quiz them with--just make sure everybody gets a prize.

TexasPandaMama 05-09-07 04:07 PM

It's pretty cool that your kids school is doing this. Mom's are usually (not saying dads aren't involved because Albert is there just as much as me) the ones who are at the school doing things with kids classes and volunteering.
My girls school in Austin had a program called "Dads at the Door". Dads signed up to commit 4 weeks spread out over the school year to be at the front door of the school greeting kiddos when they come in the morning. Pretty neato.

Money4Nothing 05-09-07 04:08 PM

Damn I just thought about when I have kids. How am I gonna get an offshore oil rig to the school? :yikes

$

jsandiego 05-09-07 10:45 PM

i guess i'd better not do family law.. i don't think it would be good to explain to the children that i help their parents get divorced.

TexasPandaMama 05-09-07 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsandiego (Post 1098669)
i guess i'd better not do family law.. i don't think it would be good to explain to the children that i help their parents get divorced.

lol that would be bad

SAScrub 05-10-07 08:43 AM

Ok, so things went well.

I got there and the kids were sitting in a circle, and Mason and I sat at the front of the class. He brought a "Me Bag" from home with a few of his favorite things. He had Buzz and Woody, his Spurs foam finger, his golf glove, and his Mario Kart game. Then I told them a little bit about my job, then I talked a little bit about what my son and I do for fun. Then I told the kids to each ask one question about Mason, and one question about me and that was pretty funny.

Then my son said I was the best dad in the world because I was good at MarioKart and I unlocked all the courses and characters for him. Not because I'm smart, or funny, or cool, or I take care of him or any of that stuff...but because I'm good at MarioKart! :lol Funny, but it made me stop and think that the little things like that make all the difference in the world to him...to all kids.

Money4Nothing 05-10-07 08:57 AM

Mariokart? Damn u are so my hero. Please come help me!

:D

$

njlovesthespurs 05-10-07 09:51 AM

awwww...im so glad things went well.

working as a counselor at an elementary...its always good to hear that parents are involved with their kids' schools. youd be surprised what it does to their ego. sadly...not all kids get that opportunity....

and the whole part where you said..."Funny, but it made me stop and think that the little things like that make all the difference in the world to him...to all kids." made me get teary eyed.

yes, im hormonal.