News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-07-07, 08:24 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Laptop Computer

My family is pitching in to get a nephew a laptop for high school graduation....something basic he can use to start college. We're looking to spend about $600-$700 max. I don't know much about laptops, but I do know we want one with Windows XP and not Vista.

Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-07-07, 09:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNative View Post
My family is pitching in to get a nephew a laptop for high school graduation....something basic he can use to start college. We're looking to spend about $600-$700 max. I don't know much about laptops, but I do know we want one with Windows XP and not Vista.

Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
FWIW, You should wait to buy the laptop until the week before he goes to college. If you buy it now, for graduation, you are really buying him a three month old laptop for college. We give this advice to parents to at UT.
Old 05-08-07, 12:04 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Dell has been having TONS of end-of-quarter specials..you can pick up a nicely equipped laptop for $499 or so - check out http://www.slickdeals.net/, new deals are posted all the time.
Old 05-08-07, 02:53 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Dell has gone back to offering XP, so that + all the deals Dell throws out there, is your best route, till Vista can get its first service pack.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-07, 09:00 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

go to the O....overstock.com, they have great deals on laptops.
Old 05-08-07, 09:18 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Costco has decent deals too and a liberal return policy. I think everything is vista at Costco though
Old 05-08-07, 09:24 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

There's this dude on the corner of West Ave and Fredricksburg....in a 1960 Ford Pickup.......at 2 am....

He'll hook ya up

$