News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
  #1  
Old 04-29-07, 01:34 PM
Not-so-Smart's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,907
Tyler Perry's House Of Payne

I have never seen a show as bad as this one (yes, I know it has not even been on yet, but it looks like another WB, garden-variety shallow sitcom) get as much run as this one does.
Does anyone think this show looks REMOTELY funny?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-29-07, 02:02 PM
kyleo's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,390

Didn't Sinbad have a show?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-29-07, 02:06 PM
Not-so-Smart's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,907

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleo View Post
Didn't Sinbad have a show?
Probably.
I'm still waiting for Tommy Davidson and Marlon Wayans to have their own show.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-29-07, 07:50 PM
B-Hath's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dallas, TX (the pit of despair)
Posts: 323

No. This show doesn't even appear to be in general vicinity of what is deemed as funny.
__________________

"They say that mercy is the mark of a great man ... guess I'm just a good man ... well I'm alright."
http://www.myspace.com/b_hath
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-29-07, 09:39 PM
Flipmode Master's Avatar
The Chosen One(Moderator)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Batcave in Savannah
Posts: 5,941

Jeeezus...atleast wait until the show airs..I mean..dang..
__________________

I'm Batman's cousin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-29-07, 10:06 PM
Flipmode Master's Avatar
The Chosen One(Moderator)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Batcave in Savannah
Posts: 5,941

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Have you seen the commercials man?
YEah I have but I mean is it really that serious for you to devote a thread to bash the show before it even airs..I mean have a lil patience..
__________________

I'm Batman's cousin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-29-07, 11:06 PM
Flipmode Master's Avatar
The Chosen One(Moderator)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Batcave in Savannah
Posts: 5,941

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Its because shows like that get greenlighted while actual good shows get canceled.
U haven't even seen the show yet.. It could be good..and what "actual" good shows are u talking about? I mean atleast with this show u have previews..but those so called "good" shows that got passed on ur talking about...there is no way of knowing if those shows were any good..lol.
__________________

I'm Batman's cousin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-30-07, 11:32 AM
WhiteChocolateJr's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,618

"C'mon. Get your pimp walk on."

I won't be watching - I've seen this show before...the first forty times it was attempted.
__________________
Click HERE to see the rest of my "oversized" signature.
"Leadership is diving after loose balls." -Larry Bird
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-30-07, 12:53 PM
WhiteChocolateJr's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyspur View Post
I've never heard of this show.
Watch the Playoffs live (without TiVo) and you'll see ads for it about 700,000 times an hour.
__________________
Click HERE to see the rest of my "oversized" signature.
"Leadership is diving after loose balls." -Larry Bird
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-30-07, 01:05 PM
Not-so-Smart's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,907

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyspur View Post
I've never heard of this show.
It just looks like a sterotypical comedy with no new ideas. Something that's been done over and over. They even compared it to Everybody Loves Raymond when talking about the return of the family show.
They show the dad in one scene wearing a basketball jersey talking about his skills, then of course he falls on his big arse.
It just looks like any of the other comedies done over and over again on the WB, but the difference is this one is getting tons of hype. I've been seeing these commercials for weeks now. And I think it edbuts in June.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-01-07, 07:46 PM
Not-so-Smart's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,907

Bump.
For no good reason.
Just want to keep talking about this awful show. How about that Nell Carter-looking wife?
Good god. This show is going to blow. Really hard.
I'm almost excited to see how bad it's going to be.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-01-07, 08:18 PM
Nazr For 3's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 463

Im officially sick of the three-camera family sitcom. Working in the industry, I can tell you that their disposability is superceded only by the reality show which doesn't even have writers (who normally wield the most power).

The last family sitcom that was even remotely original was Married... with Children and that's only because Al Bundy's iconic status carried on the legacy of Archie Bunker's irreverance (but made it compatible with the 80's and 90's).

Three-camera shows then in the 90s became obsessed with 20-somethings and 30-somethings living in New York. Mild variants of that were pretty good with Seinfeld being by far the best, Friends being good initially but getting stale about 3 seasons in.

For some reason, and I blame mostly blame 'Raymond' for this, these lame-ass family sitcoms are still believed to be popular by execs.

I think the next big thing in TV comedy is the Arrested Development style. Ultra-rapid fire comedy, high production value, and plenty of incentive to follow with storylines that span multiple seasons. Unfortunately, AD was cancelled. But some other shows are carrying out its legacy (though, in my opinion, not as well as AD) like The Office and Entourage. 30 Rock and My Name Is Earl are also pretty good and share some of this approach to TV Comedy.

Anything but the f*cking couch...
__________________
JAVIE SUCKS! JAVIE SUCKS!
--AT&T Center, 5/9/2006
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-01-07, 08:24 PM
Not-so-Smart's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,907

Married W/ Children was ahead of its time.
Raymond - which was greatness - could very well be the last of the traditional sitcom.
I highly doubt House 'O Payne will carry the torch.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-01-07, 08:30 PM
Nazr For 3's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent View Post
Married W/ Children was ahead of its time.
Raymond - which was greatness - could very well be the last of the traditional sitcom.
I highly doubt House 'O Payne will carry the torch.
Meh, for a couch sitcom it was above average. But its crap compared to what's on HBO and especially compared to AD, The Office, 30 Rock, Earl.
__________________
JAVIE SUCKS! JAVIE SUCKS!
--AT&T Center, 5/9/2006
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-01-07, 09:08 PM
nanumanu's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SAT
Posts: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazr For 3 View Post
Im officially sick of the three-camera family sitcom. Working in the industry, I can tell you that their disposability is superceded only by the reality show which doesn't even have writers (who normally wield the most power).

The last family sitcom that was even remotely original was Married... with Children and that's only because Al Bundy's iconic status carried on the legacy of Archie Bunker's irreverance (but made it compatible with the 80's and 90's).

Three-camera shows then in the 90s became obsessed with 20-somethings and 30-somethings living in New York. Mild variants of that were pretty good with Seinfeld being by far the best, Friends being good initially but getting stale about 3 seasons in.

For some reason, and I blame mostly blame 'Raymond' for this, these lame-ass family sitcoms are still believed to be popular by execs.

I think the next big thing in TV comedy is the Arrested Development style. Ultra-rapid fire comedy, high production value, and plenty of incentive to follow with storylines that span multiple seasons. Unfortunately, AD was cancelled. But some other shows are carrying out its legacy (though, in my opinion, not as well as AD) like The Office and Entourage. 30 Rock and My Name Is Earl are also pretty good and share some of this approach to TV Comedy.

Anything but the f*cking couch...
Amen! I loved AD and thought it was one of the most original comedies on tv. I'd much rather watch a show that doesn't tell me when to laugh. The Office, Earl, Scrubs, and AD are some of the good ones.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-01-07, 10:19 PM
Nazr For 3's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanumanu View Post
Amen! I loved AD and thought it was one of the most original comedies on tv. I'd much rather watch a show that doesn't tell me when to laugh. The Office, Earl, Scrubs, and AD are some of the good ones.
Yeah they're great shows, though I'd say that Scrubs is closer to Friends than it is to AD. It was one of the first comedies to do the single camera thing (along with Malcolm in the Middle)
__________________
JAVIE SUCKS! JAVIE SUCKS!
--AT&T Center, 5/9/2006
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-02-07, 02:29 AM
Not-so-Smart's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,907

OK, clarification. They used "Raymond" and "The Cosby Show" talking about the return of the family comedy.
I can just see in the annals of time, the great family shows of the past:
"Lucy", "Cosby", "Raymond", "Tyler Perry's House Of Pain".
Not.

From TBS.com
very funny quotes from Tyler Perry's House of Payne:

"C.J. and Calvin think Batman can beat Superman."
- Delante in Bully and the Beast

"It's a bird, it's a plane...it's your jobs! Get back to work! I don't pay you to hang out and talk about Superheroes."
- Curtis in Bully and the Beast

"Little girl, don't make me get you uncle's belt."
- Ella in Bully and the Beast

"Hey, the Bible says, 'get the rod, beat your child'."
- Curtis in Bully and the Beast

"You look like a candidate for a beat down."
- Madea in Bully and the Beast

"For someone's who's a stay at home mom, you never stay at home."
- Curtis in Bully and the Beast

"You look like you're about to do a commercial for Dark and Ugly."
- Claretha in I Can Cry If I Want To

"Chief, no disrespect, but you look like a fat black Elvis."
- Keenan in I Can Cry If I Want To

"Curtis, stop being childish."
"I'm not childish. I'm rubber and you're glue. Whatever you say, bounces off me and sticks on you."
- Ella and Curtis in I Can Cry If I Want To

"Before your father passed away, I promised him I'd look out for you. Had I known your house was going to burn down, I would've never made that promise."
- Curtis in I Can Cry If I Want To

"If I'm in the bathroom doing my business, I don't want nobody knocking on the door rushing me."
- Curtis in I Can Cry If I Want To

"That's what kids do. They eat, sleep and get in your way."
- Curtis in More Than Meets the Eye

"Boy, if you ever play with matches, I'll come bust you. Get it? Combustion. Come bust you. Whew! I'm smokin'!"
- Curtis in More Than Meets the Eye

"Excuse me. 'Boo-Ya' is not in the dictionary."
- Delante in More Than Meets the Eye

"This is my fault. I dropped you on your head when you were little."
- Curtis in More Than Meets the Eye

"Curtis, you need a spam blocker to keep junk from coming out of your mouth."
- Ella in More Than Meets the Eye

"Boy, you went to private school. You're about as gangsta as Martha Stewart."
- Curtis in More Than Meets the Eye

"I'm not going to hell for a handbag."
- Ella in Busted


Yeah! Knee-slappin' good time!
My sides hurt!

Last edited by Not-so-Smart; 05-02-07 at 09:58 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-04-07, 11:25 AM
Not-so-Smart's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,907

Did anyone catch Tyler Perry on Inside the NBA on TNT last night?
He was kind enough to (pay money) to stop by and visit with the crew.
OK, apparently, TPHOP is going to be part "Good Times", part "Archie Bunker", part "Cosby Show".
Tyler Perry will also have a recurring role as a woman (i.e. Martin Lawrence), crudley made up.
And most important, there will also be messages in each espisode. So not only do you laugh and cry, you also learn as a human being.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-04-07, 11:54 AM
SAScrub's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Damn I am sleepy.
Posts: 656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent View Post
"Curtis, stop being childish."
"I'm not childish. I'm rubber and you're glue. Whatever you say, bounces off me and sticks on you."
- Ella and Curtis in I Can Cry If I Want To
Hmmm...I could have sworn he said, "I'm rubber, you're glue ebbie dobbie doobiie blooobie stasha onshie shoo."

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-04-07, 01:51 PM
Art Vandalay's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent View Post
Did anyone catch Tyler Perry on Inside the NBA on TNT last night?
He was kind enough to (pay money) to stop by and visit with the crew.
OK, apparently, TPHOP is going to be part "Good Times", part "Archie Bunker", part "Cosby Show".
Tyler Perry will also have a recurring role as a woman (i.e. Martin Lawrence), crudley made up.
And most important, there will also be messages in each espisode. So not only do you laugh and cry, you also learn as a human being.

i cant stand those shows that send a message or try teach a lesson. the message this show will send is not funny.

got to love the office and 30 rock. cant forget about always sunny in philadelphia.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-04-07, 02:12 PM
Money4Nothing's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Longview, TX
Posts: 3,283

The Simpsons is the best family sitcom ever.

Yea! LoL!

$
__________________
When the Spurs lose...it makes Baby Jesus cry
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0