News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > The Cantina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-07, 02:28 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

What is best--Directv or dish

I tried to search before posing this, but the search feature is down right now I have been thinking about switching to satellite from my cable company because they do not offer LeaguePass. Right now on cable, I have the works including HD and all the movie channels. I woud appreciate it of my fellow SR people would tell me about their experiences, including customer service, hidden costs, and stability of the feed, for boh DirecTv and Dish. Thanks in advance!
Badgerland's #1 Spurs fan.

Still crazy after all these years.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-20-07, 08:26 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I have had Direct TV for about 8 yrs Cheesey, and I LOVE IT. In all that time I have had exactly ONE rate increase for about 2 dollars I think. They add new channels frequently (with no increase in subscription rates), the customer service is superb, I have all the local channels including all local HD feeds, you get the NFL channel for free, you can get league passes for NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, and MSL (the fees are payable in installments), you get about 100 XM radio channel feeds, they actually listen to you when you make suggestions about what channels they pick up, and supposedly by the end of this year will have over 150 HD channels available. The only time you have trouble with reception is when there is very bad weather such as thunderstorms, then you will almost certainly lose your feed. I don't see how you can lose. Can't speak of Dish, never had it.

Last edited by VDeal; 04-20-07 at 08:28 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-20-07, 08:43 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sorry can't help you, I am a cable guy.
Old 04-20-07, 01:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

We've got Dish, but are anxiously awaiting the availability of Verizon FIOS (sometime this year). We pay $57/mo for 180 channels--no premium channels. We do have two DVRs, which I wouldn't want to do without. It's the only way to watch sports--you get to choose what you want to replay. You can have up to 100 hours of recorded programs stored on your DVR. Dish was better when we first got it than it is now--price has gone up twice in the last three years. They do seem to be pretty good on tech support issues over the phone.
Old 04-20-07, 01:56 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I have had Direct TV for about 8 yrs Cheesey, and I LOVE IT. In all that time I have had exactly ONE rate increase for about 2 dollars I think. They add new channels frequently (with no increase in subscription rates), the customer service is superb, I have all the local channels including all local HD feeds, you get the NFL channel for free, you can get league passes for NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, and MSL (the fees are payable in installments), you get about 100 XM radio channel feeds, they actually listen to you when you make suggestions about what channels they pick up, and supposedly by the end of this year will have over 150 HD channels available. The only time you have trouble with reception is when there is very bad weather such as thunderstorms, then you will almost certainly lose your feed. I don't see how you can lose. Can't speak of Dish, never had it.
Thanks, Rick. Can I ask how much you pay not including LP if you have it? I am thinking about keeping my cable internet. I really appreciate your input

Old 04-20-07, 02:08 PM
NBA Ref Wrangler

We've had Directv for over 10 years now and love it
The only problems are the mentioned thunderstorms and, if you get one, have it mounted where you can reach up with a broom to brush the snow off easily; it doesn't take very much snow building up to knock it out
To avoid the weather problems AND have a better picture, you could always get a 10 foot mesh dish and decoder, but they are no where near as user friendly, they take up a lot more space, are a hasle to install and there is a problem finding them these days

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
---Winston Churchill (1903)
Old 04-20-07, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

AT&T's new IPTV product is the best- tops everything. Cable and Dish.
Old 04-20-07, 02:19 PM
MomBear

I tried to get that IPTV but it's not available for my apartment complex..

I have DirectTV it's great!
Old 04-20-07, 02:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i had league pass this season with time warner: http://www.timewarnercable.com/sanan...adivspage.html

it is not available anymore of course because the nba playoffs will be offered on other stations (espn, tnt, nba tv, abc and of course our local fox sports)
Old 04-20-07, 02:29 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Ask Harmon. He subscribes. Not available everywhere yet- but definitely available in San Antonio. It's called "U-Verse"
Old 04-20-07, 02:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

u-verse can get me 6Mbps on downloads but i download a ton of video images and i need something faster. the rr high speed premium gets me 10 Mbps.
Old 04-20-07, 02:55 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff View Post
AT&T's new IPTV product is the best- tops everything. Cable and Dish.
This must be the new service I am seeing in commercials. I will have to research it. Can it carry leaguepass??

Old 04-20-07, 03:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead4spur View Post
Thanks, Rick. Can I ask how much you pay not including LP if you have it? I am thinking about keeping my cable internet. I really appreciate your input
I pay 139.00 a month, but that is because my wife insisted on having 4 receivers, all the movie packages, PVR, etc. If you have just one or two receivers and don't have to have all the premium services, it is considerably less. I had LP for two years for MLB and it costs 125.00 for the year (payable in installments).
Old 04-20-07, 03:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I pay 139.00 a month, but that is because my wife insisted on having 4 receivers, all the movie packages, PVR, etc. If you have just one or two receivers and don't have to have all the premium services, it is considerably less. I had LP for two years for MLB and it costs 125.00 for the year (payable in installments).
I was just talking with mr cheese--we have probably 4 TVs that we use to some extent, so i will also need the whole shebang. He also wants all the movie channels so he can watch something while I am sitting on my computer at SR I have some thinking to do (oh the pain in my brain )

Old 04-20-07, 03:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Does anyone know anything about fiberoptic internet speeds and where it is available?
Old 04-20-07, 03:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyspur View Post
Tokyo
No seriously, people have told me it is being rolled out to some parts of the city. This "U verse" is not fiberoptic based, right?
Old 04-20-07, 03:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I'd like to know more about that if you find out.

I'm waiting for high speed internet that will be available through your power plugs.
That is coming too.
Old 04-20-07, 04:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i'm steell a timer warner customer
Old 04-20-07, 05:54 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
I'm waiting for high speed internet that will be available through your power plugs.
dat would be koo though

Last edited by SASPURS_21; 04-20-07 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-21-07, 10:19 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If you have HDTV, the DirecTV is better. If you get Dish, the compression of HD signal is worse, and it is very noticeable.

I have DirecTV HD and although I know there are better HD signals out there, they are unavailable where I live, So I am VERY happy with DirecTV.

Sith