News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
  #1  
Old 04-19-07, 03:59 PM
SAScrub's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Damn I am sleepy.
Posts: 656
Hi, I'm a Mac...

...and I'm a PC.


I don't think words can express how much I hate these commercials.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-19-07, 05:27 PM
micah76's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 146

I dig them too. Apple advertising at it's finest. I'm a total PC geek but I do appreciate the humor.
__________________
The greatest good we can do our country is to heal its party divisions and make them one people.Thomas Jefferson,.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-19-07, 05:59 PM
Sith Lord's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 542

I dont like like the arrogance of the spots.

Sith
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-19-07, 06:03 PM
SoapScumKills's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 97

PC Guy is awesome, makes me want to pick a PC over a Mac
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-19-07, 06:39 PM
obijon80's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 439

I'm a pc fanatic and I love those commercials. The PC guy (who's also on The Daily Show from time to time) is what makes them funny!

[youtube]D4sOFVAR87I[/youtube]

Last edited by obijon80; 04-19-07 at 06:45 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-07, 07:29 PM
baseline bum's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: LA
Posts: 5,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijon80 View Post
I'm a pc fanatic and I love those commercials. The PC guy (who's also on The Daily Show from time to time) is what makes them funny!

[youtube]D4sOFVAR87I[/youtube]
What a dumb commercial.
Fat chance of Windows Guy wanting a C++ book.

Microsoft has been trying to kill C++ for years with their lame-ass Java clone, C#. I can't believe they've actually been very successful with it either, as all their pet language does is copy Java, and then throw out the best parts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-07, 09:29 PM
CRL's Avatar
CRL CRL is offline
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 650

Once you go Mac, you never go back.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-07, 09:31 PM
micah76's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseline bum View Post
What a dumb commercial.
Fat chance of Windows Guy wanting a C++ book.

Microsoft has been trying to kill C++ for years with their lame-ass Java clone, C#. I can't believe they've actually been very successful with it either, as all their pet language does is copy Java, and then throw out the best parts.
It's all .net now.
__________________
The greatest good we can do our country is to heal its party divisions and make them one people.Thomas Jefferson,.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-07, 10:18 PM
obijon80's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRL View Post
Once you go Mac, you never go back.
I've heard that a lot from my friends with Macs, but I'm not yet convinced. At work, a few of us were working on a design competition; 2 had Mac laptops and I had my Dell laptop. The end of the competition involved exporting large Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop images into PDFs and JPEGs. BOTH Macs (one brand new and the other a couple of years old) consistently froze. My Dell ended up exporting the files with ease and didn't freeze at all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-19-07, 10:24 PM
braeden0613's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,205

i hate macs and hate these commercials...they were funny at first...now just annoying
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-19-07, 10:45 PM
baseline bum's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: LA
Posts: 5,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah76 View Post
It's all .net now.
.net is a freaking joke. I don't get it at all. JIT compilation is stupid in the context of Java, but at least Java acts the same whether it's on Windows, Mac, Linux, *BSD, or UNIX. I remember one of Donald Knuth's quotes, where he said computation was progressing too quickly for anyone to keep up, and that more bad ideas like Java were needed to slow it down. For Windows, what's the point other than leeching on to a programming style? Microsoft tries to justify it as allowing all of your languages to share a common assembly, but you only have 3 choices: C#, VB.net, and Managed C++, and MS's C++ extensions are horrible to use, so it's really just two.

It seems stupid when C++ is the most powerful OO language, C is the fastest and most efficient language for systems programming, and they can operate together using a linker instead of interpreting some intermediate and constantly profiling during execution.

I cannot believe the way the industry is bending over for MS with this .net crap. It's so shortsighted, and ridiculous that knowledge is being controlled by a Microsoft vocabulary.

Any program that is a success should be ported... but how do you port .net? It's written specifically so that you cannot build systems with C engines and MS dependencies isolated to leaf modules, like can be done with the now-deprecated MFC.

Last edited by baseline bum; 04-19-07 at 10:55 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-19-07, 10:48 PM
SoapScumKills's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 97

Since we are on the topic of computers/OS's, anyone else here have Vista and think its also a huge pile of steaming ****?
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-20-07, 08:32 AM
necron 99's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: dismusbedaplace
Posts: 1,924

I laugh because no matter how hard they try apple will only be maybe 5-10% of the market. Their arrogance just kills them. I have to admit the ipod is a slick product but thanks to competition their strangle hold will not last.
__________________
Signature deleted; did not meet forum guidelines. At least thats what I was told.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-20-07, 09:57 AM
Sith Lord's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 542

I have both, and both have their advantages, but I hate Mac Commercials.

Sith
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-20-07, 10:04 AM
bnwhuxley's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 7,593

I'm sticking with my PC - don't wanna own a Mac and start looking down at the majority

But I'm trying out Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn just to see if it has gone far enough for me to get rid of Windows.

Here's a Valentine's day letter from one of the guys at engadget:

Dear Ubuntu,

I know I'm still married to Windows, and that you caught me fooling around with OS X, but I promise you're my true love, and that someday I'll throw them all aside for you. It's just complicated, you know? I haven't had the guts to break it to Windows yet, but I swear I'm planning to tell them soon about how things just sort of happened between us. It's not like either of us planned this. I thought I'd just flirt a little bit with your Live CD, but before I knew it was installing you onto my old Gateway desktop and spending night after night with you.

You just have to be patient with me. If we really love each other we'll work everything out and be together, right? Besides, you do have to admit you have a few issues you need to work on. I mean, I know I'm not perfect, but you definitely have some things you need to change about yourself before I can toss aside everything in my life to spend it with you. I love you, but I can't spend my time trying to make you into the perfect OS. So please don't be upset that I'm spending tonight with Windows, I promise that the marriage is over and that I'll make it up to with a shiny new widescreen monitor next week.

Love,
Peter
__________________
Whatcha gonna do when Huxamania runs wild on you?!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-20-07, 11:10 AM
baseline bum's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: LA
Posts: 5,424

Linux still can't hang on the desktop yet. KDE3 is too slow, and GNOME is way too buggy. Hopefully KDE4 can make Linux a real player on the desktop market soon.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-20-07, 03:59 PM
Money4Nothing's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Longview, TX
Posts: 3,283

The thing that makes Mac great as well as terrible is their closed architecture. Sure, you have great security with a Mac, but because of their closed architecture, no one can write software to interface with it easily or cheaply. This bad thing has a good side: you can't write viruses for a Mac.

With Windows/IBM operating systems, since anyone can write a driver, dll, or other software device for it, you get lots of easy, cheap, versatile applications, but you also get a security nightmare. This is how Gates eared such a huge market share for Windows, by making it so that anyone could work with it easily.

The answer?

LINUX

Yea! LoL!

$
__________________
When the Spurs lose...it makes Baby Jesus cry
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-20-07, 05:23 PM
baseline bum's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: LA
Posts: 5,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money4Nothing View Post
The thing that makes Mac great as well as terrible is their closed architecture. Sure, you have great security with a Mac, but because of their closed architecture, no one can write software to interface with it easily or cheaply. This bad thing has a good side: you can't write viruses for a Mac.

With Windows/IBM operating systems, since anyone can write a driver, dll, or other software device for it, you get lots of easy, cheap, versatile applications, but you also get a security nightmare. This is how Gates eared such a huge market share for Windows, by making it so that anyone could work with it easily.

The answer?

LINUX

Yea! LoL!

$
By your argument Linux should be the most unsecure operating system, since anyone can look at any part of the kernel's source. If your security is based on someone not knowing how your system works, then it's lame and will be eventually cracked pretty easily.

One of the most secure algorithms known to man is RSA, which can be fully understood in about an hour if you have any kind of aptitude for math. It's uncrackable because no one knows how to efficiently factor very large integers into primes, and no increase in computing power with anything short of a quantum computer will make it crackable without some incredible breakthrough in number theory.

Anyways, the core of OSX is open source (it's Darwin). It's secure because it is built from an operating system designed from the ground up to be multi-user and secure (UNIX), which has almost 40 years of experience behind it.

Windows is a technology with maybe 17-18 years behind it, that was never designed to be what it is today.

Last edited by baseline bum; 04-20-07 at 05:26 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-20-07, 05:47 PM
baseline bum's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: LA
Posts: 5,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnington View Post
I am not an expert, but Isn't Mac OSX based on Unix and is a Open GL operative system?

I am always downloading widgets and free programs for Mac, almost the same I use on windows PC's.
Yes, OSX is Darwin. Darwin is a descendant of 4.2BSD-Lite, the last UNIX developed by The University of California @ Berkeley (to remove all AT&T code from Berkeley UNIX). Darwin still conforms to most of the POSIX standard, and is therefore, a close UNIX clone.

Last edited by baseline bum; 04-20-07 at 05:49 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-20-07, 05:52 PM
elchiv's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SATX
Posts: 548

my wife has a Mac and I hate it. I can never highlight anything because I am used to selecting with my fingers over the pad...with her mac you actually have to click a button. The internet connection on her lap top sucks. It always closes down for stupid reasons. However, she loves the stupid thing...she wants to get one of their desk tops...for some odd reason I keep putting it off, I don't know why.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-20-07, 06:01 PM
baseline bum's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: LA
Posts: 5,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchiv View Post
my wife has a Mac and I hate it. I can never highlight anything because I am used to selecting with my fingers over the pad...with her mac you actually have to click a button. The internet connection on her lap top sucks. It always closes down for stupid reasons. However, she loves the stupid thing...she wants to get one of their desk tops...for some odd reason I keep putting it off, I don't know why.
LOL... I hate Windows because I'm used to selecting things by just highlighting them with the mouse, and then clicking the middle button to paste them (UNIX thing). I hate having highlight in Windows, then press CTRL-C to copy text into the clipboard, and then having to press CTRL-V to paste it back. Copy and paste requires one finger in UNIX.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-20-07, 09:31 PM
bnwhuxley's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 7,593

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseline bum View Post
Linux still can't hang on the desktop yet. KDE3 is too slow, and GNOME is way too buggy. Hopefully KDE4 can make Linux a real player on the desktop market soon.
What about Xfce?
__________________
Whatcha gonna do when Huxamania runs wild on you?!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-20-07, 10:08 PM
Jason R's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 6,768

I like both. My current HP is the love of my life and singular source of joy outside of God from which I derive all pleasure, but I still really dig Macs.

That said, the commercials are elitist and sickening.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0