LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-07, 12:44 AM
MomBear

Tornado Spotted In Texas; 1 Dead

Tornado Spotted In Texas; 1 Dead
Hail, Heavy Rain Soak North Part Of State

POSTED: 9:41 pm CDT April 13, 2007
UPDATED: 10:06 pm CDT April 13, 2007

DALLAS -- At least one person was killed Friday night as storms pushed hail, heavy rain -- and one reported tornado -- through parts of North Texas.

The system rolled through the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

The National Weather Service said a tornado was spotted near Bedford.

A Fort Worth fire spokesman said a man was killed after a pile of lumber fell on top of him. Five others suffered minor injuries at a grocery store, mainly from flying glass.

In Haltom City, more than one dozen truck trailers were seen overturned in a business area, while some homes were also damaged.

In the same area, Valley Missionary Baptist Church appeared to be destroyed, with the roof torn off and some walls collapsed.

The bad weather forced cancellation of NASCAR Nextel Cup qualifying races at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth.

Thousands of fans who showed up to watch qualifying were being advised to move to safety as tornado sirens blared at the speedway.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

LINK
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-14-07, 05:26 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yes, and that happened about five miles from my house. I had just gotten home from a day of running errands when we heard the tornado siren go off.

I didn't hear until much later that someone had died. It's amazing that more weren't hurt.
Old 04-14-07, 10:31 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Tornado Sirens were going off every 5 minutes in uptown Dallas. I have a co worker who said he pulled about 10 pieces of hail bigger than golfballs out of his yard.

Sith
Old 04-14-07, 11:50 AM
MomBear

i'm glad you two and SID are ok...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-16-07, 02:24 AM

We left for Dallas friday morning and when we left, the weather here was ugly but we knew it'd be about the same over there. When we were hanging out in the hotel room, a voice came over the speaker telling us that the FW tornado was headed out way so everyone was told to exit their rooms and go down to the floor above the lobby or to the nearest stairwell. Two things that scare me are flying and killer weather like that so needless to say my friday was horrible!! i suppose the damage couldve been worse but its still sad to see it happen