News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-11-07, 07:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

state residency questions

I'll ask the global population this question.

I'm moving to 1 state for a year then to ny for 4 years of medical training. I don't want to lose my texas residency. Is there a way to keep my state residency even though I'll be working in another state (and expecting to be paying state taxes there while in ny)?
Old 04-11-07, 08:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo View Post
I'll ask the global population this question.

I'm moving to 1 state for a year then to ny for 4 years of medical training. I don't want to lose my texas residency. Is there a way to keep my state residency even though I'll be working in another state (and expecting to be paying state taxes there while in ny)?
I know you're not supposed to have a driver's license from two states, but if you earn income in both states that might work (one caveat: it makes doing your taxes a lot more confusing).

"Getting a Sixth Man award is like being the best left-handed guard," Ginobili said. "I believe you're either the best player or not." 3-26-07
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-11-07, 08:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Own property in Texas .... at least that used to work.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-11-07, 08:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

hrmmmm, wonder what the cheapest way is to do that...
Old 04-12-07, 02:37 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Join the military.
Old 04-12-07, 09:30 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

If you are moving to another state for educational purposes, you cannot lose residency in your previous state. When I moved from Texas to Tennessee, I remained a Texas resident for the 3-1/2 years that I was in college in Tennessee, even though I had a TN driver's license and payed local taxes.

$
Old 04-12-07, 11:36 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money4Nothing View Post
If you are moving to another state for educational purposes, you cannot lose residency in your previous state. When I moved from Texas to Tennessee, I remained a Texas resident for the 3-1/2 years that I was in college in Tennessee, even though I had a TN driver's license and payed local taxes.

$
it will be educational as it is a medical residency, but I'll be earning an income from the hospital.

And with no disrespect for those in the military, thats not an option for me.