News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-09-07, 09:08 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Best Cell Phone Service?

Don't you dare say Cingular...its killing me...sometimes I get texts from people from other networks..sometimes I don't. I can't get a solid signal inside the building I work in and in some classes on campus...I have a Go Phone...so I can swicth right now if I want...ANY IDEAS...who has the best service?

I'm Batman's cousin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-09-07, 09:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Consumer Reports pretty much said that Cingular sucks the big one. They rate Verizon as best, Nextell and TMobile as close behind. I have TMobile and it has been fine, rarely it drops a call.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-09-07, 10:58 PM

I'm happy with Sprint seldom droped calls, I like my plan and the price. I also get a discount with my employer.
Old 04-10-07, 07:41 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

We've had Verizon for 5-6 years...never any trouble, outside of some billing problems at the very beginning of our service that took a month to resolve. Since then, everything has been smooth sailing, with no dropped calls or signal problems. My family in Florida has Verizon service, too, and likes it better than the Sprint service they used to have.
Old 04-10-07, 10:05 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I have had Sprint since 2000. Like it. Although recently I've missed several calls because the phone doesn't ring.... even when I have several bars of signal strength. Go figure.
Old 04-10-07, 10:16 AM
SpursReport Rookie

ive been with sprint since 1998!!!!

love it. never would leave it.

my hubby left sprint...went to t-mobile...then came back and agreed...SPRINT IS THE BEST.

- mrs. enjay bee

Old 04-10-07, 10:32 AM

We have sprint. I have never missed a call. I got a couple of voicemail messages a few hours after they were left once, but they fixed it I guess, it hasn't happened in a few months. PLUS all of my family is on Sprint and a lot of our friend and the network is just huge! So we rarely get anywhere to using up all of the minutes that we share with my sister in law and brother in law. I think they pay 165 for 1500 minutes and 3 lines... I think.

Oh the only place I can't get a signal is in Sam's.
Old 04-10-07, 10:44 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I use Verizon and find it to be pretty good coverage wise. They do have one of the largest coverage areas of any provider and pretty good customer support. If however, you like to use lots of phone features or anything, 1) Verizon's phone selection is terrible in comparison to AT&T's (Cingular) and 2) Verizon is notorious about locking out built in features like bluetooth file transfer so you have to pay them for their add-on feature. It seems like I can never win with the cellular companies, my honest feeling is they're all terrible.

I haven't used the new AT&T network but I had the old AT&T Wireless network several years back and it was pretty bad. From my experience, I've found Verizon to be the least terrible of the cell carriers.

"There are many dying children out there whose last wish is to meet me" -David Hasselhoff
Old 04-10-07, 12:18 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

i am back with T-mobile and they have the best customer support or at least one of the top. i used to be with T-mobile a few years back but switched to sprint because i got a discount at work for sprint...worst mistake ever. when i told them(tmobile) i was going to cancel early they told me i was one of their better customers and that they would waive 80% of the cancelation fee...so i paid like $40 bucks.

sprint is horrible when it comes to customer support. my fiancee' also had trouble with them. i went many times for help and man the wait time is forever to get your phone serviced, plus the reps are rude and all they want is to get you out of there.

well 2 months ago i ended my contract with sprint and yes i got that huge bill to cancel , $300 for 2 lines . i am glad to be back with t-mobile and i even got my fiancee to switch with me
btw love my blackberry
Old 04-10-07, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
i am back with T-mobile and they have the best customer support or at least one of the top. i used to be with T-mobile a few years back but switched to sprint because i got a discount at work for sprint...worst mistake ever. when i told them(tmobile) i was going to cancel early they told me i was one of their better customers and that they would waive 80% of the cancelation fee...so i paid like $40 bucks.

sprint is horrible when it comes to customer support. my fiancee' also had trouble with them. i went many times for help and man the wait time is forever to get your phone serviced, plus the reps are rude and all they want is to get you out of there.

well 2 months ago i ended my contract with sprint and yes i got that huge bill to cancel , $300 for 2 lines . i am glad to be back with t-mobile and i even got my fiancee to switch with me
btw love my blackberry
I was with Sprint before TMobile, and I would agree that Sprint has terrible customer service. Had to wait forever to get service and the reps treated you as if you were intruding on their day.
Old 04-10-07, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the info...anyone ever try an Alltel phone?

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 04-10-07, 10:18 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I've been told Sprint's most popular area in the nation is the Southwest, so it is great for your Sprint to Sprint calls. Now as far as Sprint, they Nickel and Dime you for everything. Customer Service is real bad as well.

I have Verizon and have no complaints, best nationwide coverage and awsome customer service.

No comment for all the other services, if you can call them that.

expander
Old 04-10-07, 10:52 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

All the cell phone companies suck equally. Really. Anecdotal evidence of someone being satisfied or dissatisfied doesn't mean you will experience the same thing. I've had good and bad with all the companies. Right now I'm with Cingular/ATT, because I get a big discout through my company, and that makes the price to hassle ratio the smallest of my options.

$
Old 04-11-07, 01:12 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by necron 99 View Post
^^^ditto that^^^ a necessary evil now in my family. Can you imagine life without it now?
In a word--yup. I have a cell phone in my car for emergencies, and since it is analog (!!!) and I get charged an extra $5 a month for it, I will probably switch to a pre-paid service. My long distance is through Sam's Club at <4 cents a min. Mainly, I don't want or need to be in communication with people all the time. It's like the old song, "got along without it before I met it, gonna get along without it now."
Badgerland's #1 Spurs fan.

Still crazy after all these years.
Old 04-11-07, 01:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Switched from Sprint to Virgin Mobile...love it so far
Old 04-11-07, 01:22 PM
BBQ, Beer, & Babes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead4spur View Post
In a word--yup. I have a cell phone in my car for emergencies, and since it is analog (!!!) and I get charged an extra $5 a month for it, I will probably switch to a pre-paid service. My long distance is through Sam's Club at <4 cents a min. Mainly, I don't want or need to be in communication with people all the time. It's like the old song, "got along without it before I met it, gonna get along without it now."
My feelings exactly. Don't have one anymore, and don't miss it at all....
Old 04-11-07, 01:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Sprint - no major issues, although the Red Razr I bought my wife is a piece of crap.
Old 04-11-07, 09:21 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Verizon probably is the best, but then it also depends on how much coverage is in your area. Spring might be good in select areas, etc.

Like Sprint sucks in CA for instance.

Good site to see if your area has a lot of dead zones.
http://www.deadcellzones.com/

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 04-18-07, 09:54 AM

Been thinking about it for a while now...thinking of signing a contract with Verizon. The service in my area has no deadzones(thanks Grego)..the phone slection surprised me because its actually really nice! For a while now I thought Cingular dominated all the cool looking phones. Also I get to test drive Verizon if I like first....sooooo I might have to go with Verizon...thanks guys for ur input and I'll give another update down the road...then again I might to busy talking on the phone. ( )

Then I just found out I can keep my old Cingular number also.. ....this pushes me oh so closer..

I'm Batman's cousin

Last edited by Flipmode Master; 04-18-07 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-19-07, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvbeyoncesbooty View Post
Switched from Sprint to Virgin Mobile...love it so far
Are they expensive and are they in this area?
Old 04-19-07, 12:03 PM

STILL CINGULAR!!!

I have NEVER had problems with Cingular....except for my txts but now theres unlimited.

I always have all of my bars

and the people that have sprint and t mobile don't even have service in places that I still have all of my bars in.

I've had it since i was like 12 or 13 and I've never had a problem.
Old 04-19-07, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfeva_31 View Post
STILL CINGULAR!!!

I have NEVER had problems with Cingular....except for my txts but now theres unlimited.

I always have all of my bars

and the people that have sprint and t mobile don't even have service in places that I still have all of my bars in.

I've had it since i was like 12 or 13 and I've never had a problem.
HEY FEVA!!!...Its been a while since I read one of your post.. ()

Well maybe the Cingular service is stronger in Texas than in my area in GA.
I'm going to sign with verizon in the morning....

I'm Batman's cousin