Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > The Cantina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-07, 07:06 PM
MomBear

CBS To Suspend Imus’ Radio Show-MSNBC Announces Suspension Of Simulcast Program

CBS To Suspend Imus’ Radio Show
MSNBC Announces Suspension Of Simulcast Program

UPDATED: 6:49 pm CDT April 9, 2007

NEW YORK -- CBS announced late Monday that it will suspend its broadcast of Don Imus' radio program for two weeks following his racially charged comment about Rutgers female basketball players.

Earlier, MSNBC announced that is has temporarily suspended carrying Imus' simulcast radio show.

The suspension begins next Monday. CBS had no further comment on the move.

NBC News President Steve Capus released this statement on the MSNBC Web site late Monday: "Beginning Monday, April 16, MSNBC will suspend simulcasting the syndicated ‘Imus in the Morning’ radio program for two weeks. This comes after careful consideration in the days since his racist, abhorrent comments were made. Don Imus has expressed profound regret and embarrassment and has made a commitment to listen to all of those who have raised legitimate expressions of outrage. In addition, his dedication — in his words — to change the discourse on his program moving forward, has confirmed for us that this action is appropriate. Our future relationship with Imus is contingent on his ability to live up to his word."

The move comes after a day in which the controversial radio host, whose morning program is carried by WFAN in New York City, went on the air to apologize for racially insensitive remarks he made last week.

Imus refered to members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team last week as "nappy-headed hos."

Imus apologized on his own show. Later he was hosted on the radio show of the Rev. Al Sharpton, who renewed his call for Imus to be fired.

Sharpton said the remarks had been "abominable" and "racist" and that Imus should lose his job.

Imus told Sharpton, "Our agenda is to be funny and sometimes we go too far." He said that in this case, “We went way too far."

"I'm not a bad person -- I'm a good person, but I said a bad thing," Imus said on his own show.

He said that he was not trying to downplay what he called "the repulsiveness" of the remarks, and he added it's important to understand the context.

He said he and his morning cohorts "were kidding around, but that doesn't change it. That doesn't make it any less repugnant."

Imus also said he hopes to meet the Rutgers players and their parents and coaches.

"I thought it was important to apologize to the coach, to the young women, and to their families for what I said," Imus said. "I'm going to talk to them if they'll let me."

On Sharpton's show, Imus also suggested that the "climate" of his program will change.

Meanwhile, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and about 50 other people marched Monday outside Chicago's NBC tower to protest Imus' comments.

LINK
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-10-07, 08:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Both Imus and Sharpton were on the Today show this morning.

I know what Imus said was classless, but Sharpton just rubs me the wrong way. He seems to be all about self-promotion, and came across like that to me this morning.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-10-07, 11:08 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Guess he's trying to take Howard Sterns place as radio shock jock? This guy is a joke...
Old 04-10-07, 11:15 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Its taken 30 years to figure Imus is a moron? although Sharpton is the bigger hypocrit. Where was the outrage when Michael Irvin ran his mouth off about Romo?
Old 04-10-07, 11:28 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Random thoughts....

Imus is a complete jackass. There is no defense for what he said. But I believe his apology is sincere. Judge a man by his actions and not his words.

Al Sharpton is a Chrisitian. So do the Christian thing and forgive Imus.
Old 04-10-07, 11:46 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Am I the only one who finds it a bit ridiculous that countless rap songs say far more deplorable things about black women, and yet they are praised and lauded?
Old 04-10-07, 12:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Imus has treaded the line of political correctness for years, and when you do that, you're bound to step over it. That doesn't mean his voice should be erased from the airwaves.
Old 04-10-07, 12:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG View Post
People like Howard Stern have said 10000X worse things in their career and didnt get fired.

Sharpton rubs me the wrong way too...as does Jesse Jackson. not because they are African American but just how they act

Stern said of Imus, "He's apologizing like a guy who got his first broadcasting job, he should have said, 'F*ck you, it's a joke'."
Old 04-10-07, 12:57 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Sharpton rubs me the wrong way too...as does Jesse Jackson. not because they are African American but just how they act
It's because they're opportunistic ambulance chasers. Think about it.... the only time you hear a peep from these guys is when somebody else allegedly screws up. Then they come out guns blazing.
Old 04-10-07, 06:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

You know, there's a hair salon on FM 78 called Nappy Roots, I say we burn the place down! Racist bastards!
Old 04-10-07, 08:24 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Spur View Post
You know, there's a hair salon on FM 78 called Nappy Roots, I say we burn the place down! Racist bastards!
Stickmoore??????
Old 04-11-07, 04:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
the difference between what Imus said and what rappers and comedians say is that Imus was pointing the finger at someone specific.

and when you say 'nappy headed', you are talking in a derogatory manner about someone's genetic makeup.......meaning you are being racist. If he had said, 'those baggy pantsed, corn-rowed hos' I think he would have been right at the line, but i dont think he would have crossed it.

.....and the mere fact that he has the term 'nappy headed' in his vernacular instantly gives him racist status. Even Kramer would agree with that.

So was Stevie Wonder being racist when he talked about when he was a nappy headed little boy in one of his songs?

Would it have been less offensive if Imus had left out the word "hoes"? Why in the world was he talking about Rutgers women's basketball anyway when they didn't even win the championship?
Old 04-11-07, 04:46 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Am I the only one who finds it a bit ridiculous that countless rap songs say far more deplorable things about black women, and yet they are praised and lauded?
They are not praised and lauded, they have been subject to criticism within the black community as well; the degrading portrayal of women and the rejection of it is why they don't run BET Uncut anymore. And profits for rap music have declined 20% this year off last year. The lyrics of rappers have always been criticized, but they're profitable because they appeal to young males.
Old 04-11-07, 11:12 AM
SpursReport Team Member

For the people in here who don't find the term "nappy headed hoes" offensive let me ask you. Mother's day is coming up in a few weeks .... let's say you're taking your mother and/or grandmother and/or sister and/or daughter out to a nice restaurant. The server comes up to your table and asks "may I start you off with some drinks? perhaps some Muscatel for the nappy headed hoes?" What would your reaction be?
Old 04-11-07, 01:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

get rid of the term mullet wearing red neck...then get back to me

I find this groups name and music to be offensive, please Jesse and Al take care of this problem as well

http://www.nappyroots.com/
Old 04-11-07, 02:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I just don't get the Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson presence. Who has given them the right to arbitrarily decide if Imus' apology should be accepted? These are not elected officials. If the people wanted Sharpton or Jackson to be their voice, they would have been elected when they had the chance.

Nevermind that Jackson has stated that he was "sick and tired of hearing about the Holocaust", and has referred to Jews as "Hymies" and to NYC as "Hymietown." He has since been forgiven, and has moved on as though those statements were never made.

Sharpton has also referenced Jews in a deragatory manner, calling them "diamond merchants." He organized protesters to march through a Jewish neighborhood chanting "No Justice, No Peace", which resulted in the death of a Jewish student by a mob shouting "Kill the Jews!" When a black landlord raised the rent on a Jewish tenant, the Jewish tenant was forced to increase the rent on a sub-tenant, who happened to be black. Sharpton said, "We will not stand by and allow them to move this brother so that some white interloper can expand his business."

Bottomline is, these guys have made their mistakes, and are forgiven now. What gives them the right to call for the head of Don Imus for making a similar mistake?
Old 04-11-07, 03:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAScrub View Post
Bottomline is, these guys have made their mistakes, and are forgiven now. What gives them the right to call for the head of Don Imus for making a similar mistake?
Problem with Imus is this isn't the first time he's been a jerk. He's insulted two well respected black journalists in the past calling PBS' Gwen Ifill "a cleaning lady" and William Rhoden of the New York Times "a quota hire". Link. Dude is toast anyways ... Staples and Procter & Gamble have already pulled their advertising.
Old 04-11-07, 03:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairyhandedgent View Post
Problem with Imus is this isn't the first time he's been a jerk. He's insulted two well respected black journalists in the past calling PBS' Gwen Ifill "a cleaning lady" and William Rhoden of the New York Times "a quota hire". Link. Dude is toast anyways ... Staples and Procter & Gamble have already pulled their advertising.
Right, but both Jackson and Sharpton have also had multiple incidents as well. I guess you could say they received their "slap on the wrist" when we all decided that neither would make a good publicly elected official!

In addition to advertisers bailing, I think I read that the President of CBS Corp publicly stated he supported Imus being fired.
Old 04-11-07, 03:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Instead of bailing on Imus the advertisers should bail on "the view." Check this site out http://www.stoprosie.com/
Old 04-11-07, 03:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Was anyone else besides Stevie offended at referring to himself as nappy headed? When a Black refers to another Black guy as 'my n-----', is that racist?

I dunno. I think there are lines that are easily discernable and others that fall in that gray area where some are offended while others don't give a flip.

funny/sad how White people can be called just about anything by anybody and nobody says a word. How many times did George Jefferson call Willis a honky?
The Jeffersons was a fictional show with fictional characters. Just like on All In The Family the point was, in part, to show how stupid racism was and still is. And the whole "he called me a name so I'll call him one back" thing is really not becoming on anyone over the age of about 6. Imus on the other hand chose to call a group of real life young ladies who by all accounts are a great group of kids "hoes". Huge difference between fictional characters and real life young ladies in their teens and early 20's who only represented their school in a positive light.
Old 04-11-07, 06:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairyhandedgent View Post
The Jeffersons was a fictional show with fictional characters. Just like on All In The Family the point was, in part, to show how stupid racism was and still is. And the whole "he called me a name so I'll call him one back" thing is really not becoming on anyone over the age of about 6. Imus on the other hand chose to call a group of real life young ladies who by all accounts are a great group of kids "hoes". Huge difference between fictional characters and real life young ladies in their teens and early 20's who only represented their school in a positive light.
Funny thing is I didn't even know what a "hoe" was..thats is beside a garden tool..until I started listening to rap music and watching BET
Old 04-11-07, 06:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvbeyoncesbooty View Post
Funny thing is I didn't even know what a "hoe" was..thats is beside a garden tool..until I started listening to rap music and watching BET
what does where it appeared have to do with anything ....
Old 04-11-07, 07:45 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I don't think even Ludacris or nappy roots or whoever would have said that on the air during a national championship game muchless a 60 year old guy of the opposite race. Quit making excuses for him he's a grown man.
Old 04-11-07, 08:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I work with some of this country's worst each and every day...the word "hoe" is used very often by these guests of mine, along with the n word, the fu word, the bich word...in fact that is some of the tame stuff....does it make it right???.....no..but it is an excepted part of the vocabulary that these people grew up with.....we have very few moral values left in this country today...if it feels good do it...if i want to say it say it....hey its a free country..its my right of expression..its my culture..its the way I was brought up..so I can say and do what I want....but if in isn't part of your culture, if I deem what you say and do socially and culturaly offensive...you are going to have hell to pay!!!

What this Imus guy said was wrong to me, to you and to many others...however I will not sit here and cruicfy a man I don't know and don't care to know....we all pay for what we do and say...in one way or another...you take the good with the bad...we all answer to someone or somebody in the end for our actions.

I just laugh though when I see and hear the same language everyday, can turn on HBO, go to a rated R movie, listen to music, read books and magazines and yes turn on the radio and hear things I find offensive and wrong...but you know what folks..I can turn off the TV, the radio,.not read the book or magazine, not listen to the music..its my choice..its what those guys in uniforms over in Iraq are fighting for.......I think for myself..I don't need Jesse, or Al or CBS or any of the make a buck at all cost media to tell me what I think or what I should find offensive
Old 04-12-07, 09:26 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I work with some of this country's worst each and every day...the word "hoe" is used very often by these guests of mine, along with the n word, the fu word, the bich word...in fact that is some of the tame stuff....does it make it right???.....no..but it is an excepted part of the vocabulary that these people grew up with.....we have very few moral values left in this country today...if it feels good do it...if i want to say it say it....hey its a free country..its my right of expression..its my culture..its the way I was brought up..so I can say and do what I want....but if in isn't part of your culture, if I deem what you say and do socially and culturaly offensive...you are going to have hell to pay!!!

What this Imus guy said was wrong to me, to you and to many others...however I will not sit here and cruicfy a man I don't know and don't care to know....we all pay for what we do and say...in one way or another...you take the good with the bad...we all answer to someone or somebody in the end for our actions.

I just laugh though when I see and hear the same language everyday, can turn on HBO, go to a rated R movie, listen to music, read books and magazines and yes turn on the radio and hear things I find offensive and wrong...but you know what folks..I can turn off the TV, the radio,.not read the book or magazine, not listen to the music..its my choice..its what those guys in uniforms over in Iraq are fighting for.......I think for myself..I don't need Jesse, or Al or CBS or any of the make a buck at all cost media to tell me what I think or what I should find offensive

Amen, brother.
Old 04-12-07, 10:01 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

Thank you, well put.

Quote:
I loved today that Imus asked on his show if Sharpton was going to apologize to the Duke players he has blasted in the past.

I doubt he will
He'll probably harp on how they must have done something wrong, even if they were exonerated. It's like a political correctness version of the Crucible.