News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-05-07, 01:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

RIP Layne Staley

Today, April 5th, 2007 is the 5th anniversary of the death of Alice in Chains' frontman Layne Staley. Layne's band inspired and influenced many, including me, and I will always appreciate him. Probably my favorite male vocalist ever.

"On April 19, 2002, an unidentified person placed a call with 911 to say "She hadn't heard from Staley in about two weeks" Staley was found dead in his home after "his mother and stepfather went to his condo with the police". As reported by Rick Anderson of the Seattle Weekly, his body was surrounded by various drug possessions and paraphernalia: "When police kicked in the door to Layne Staley's University District apartment on April 19, there, on a couch, lit by a flickering TV, next to several spray-paint cans on the floor, not far from a small stash of cocaine, near two crack pipes on the coffee table, reposed the remains of the rock musician." He was 34 years old. The autopsy report later concluded that Staley died after injecting a mixture of heroin and cocaine known as a "speedball". By coincidence, the coroner's office estimated that Staley had died on April 5, the same date that fellow Seattle Grunge rocker Kurt Cobain was estimated to have died eight years earlier."

I will definitely be listening to some AIC today. Horrible addiction that took a great musician way to early. We'll miss you, Layne.

Old 04-05-07, 01:29 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

"Needle And The Damage Done"
- Neil Young

I caught you knockin'
at my cellar door
I love you, baby,
can I have some more
Ooh, ooh, the damage done.

I hit the city and
I lost my band
I watched the needle
take another man
Gone, gone, the damage done.

I sing the song
because I love the man
I know that some
of you don't understand
Milk-blood
to keep from running out.

I've seen the needle
and the damage done
A little part of it in everyone
But every junkie's
like a settin' sun.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!