SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   The Cantina (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/cantina/)
-   -   Bill Miller Brisket Mystery (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/cantina/63707-bill-miller-brisket-mystery.html)

TexasNative 03-15-07 02:44 PM

Bill Miller Brisket Mystery

Bill Miller's brisket is okay for fast food. But how does that sh*t magically turn into beef jerkey on day two?

:laugh

joshtd1 03-15-07 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasNative (Post 1057155)
Bill Miller's brisket is okay for fast food. But how does that sh*t magically turn into beef jerkey on day two?

:laugh

Bill Miller brisket is the best brisket I've had..including my mom's, and shes a damn good cook!

coyotes_geek 03-15-07 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshtd1 (Post 1057187)
Bill Miller brisket is the best brisket I've had..including my mom's, and shes a damn good cook!

You need to get out more.

Used to work at Bill Miller's back in the day. Haven't eaten there since. Recommend you don't either.

joshtd1 03-15-07 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coyotes_geek (Post 1057188)
You need to get out more.

Used to work at Bill Miller's back in the day. Haven't eaten there since. Recommend you don't either.

I've heard rumors of stuff that happens there..I actually like their fries also, but thats about it besides the brisket.

joshtd1 03-15-07 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake (Post 1057193)
uh.....I hate to break it to you, but if Bill makes better brisket than mom does, then mom needs some cooking lessons.

Bill Miller is the Ronald McDonald of BBQ.

My mom dont need cooking lessons..I just dont really care for her brisket that much, thats it. I've never had brisket from any other resturaunt though because I dont care for brisket that much in general anyway.

joshtd1 03-15-07 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake (Post 1057205)
so she doesnt need cooking lessons for brisket, but you don't care for her brisket and Bill Miller's is better?

I thought you were talking about cooking lessons in general..but no she doesnt need cooking lessons for her brisket. I'm the only one that doesnt care for it, everyone else likes it. And yes I like Bill Miller's better..What's the problem with that?

Hairyhandedgent 03-15-07 04:20 PM

is bun n barrel on Austin hiway still around? if so it's a miracle bill miller is still in business

joshtd1 03-15-07 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake (Post 1057221)
I havent worked there like coyotes geek, but Ive had a friend or two or three work there who have told me some of the things they do.

Whatever you do......do NOT eat the chopped beef. You'd be better off eating the garbage out of the dumpster.

Well I dont regularly eat there anyway because I've heard of stuff about the chicken also..but the brisket and fries are the only thing I like

braeden0613 03-15-07 04:50 PM

Ive heard that they put the iced tea in the same bucket they wash dishes in...so rumors abound.

VDeal 03-15-07 05:12 PM

I worked there back in the day, and no we never washed dishes in the same bucket where tea was made. :laugh Dishes were washed in the sink. :laugh Can't speak for the brisket, it is all prepared in the Bill Miller's Commissary downtown, as all are the pies and baked goods.

Art Vandalay 03-15-07 09:04 PM

saying bill miller's brisket is the best, is like saying taco bell has the best mexican food.

joshtd1 03-15-07 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Vandalay (Post 1057375)
saying bill miller's brisket is the best, is like saying taco bell has the best mexican food.

Actually..I do like Taco Bell:laugh

Chacho's is pretty good for being cheap IMO..the one off Bandera Rd. atleast

TexasNative 03-15-07 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonnington (Post 1057212)
Do you keep the brisket on the refrigerator?

What is the refrigerator that you speak of? :shrug

VDeal 03-16-07 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by To be named later (Post 1057486)
The chopped beef is delicious as hell.......but yeah, your better off eating out of the garbage, because the chooped beef is everything that should have been tossed in the trash, all the fat, all the charred skin, all the waste, some more fat, and any piece of meat that sat around under a heat lamp all day yesterday then got chopped up today rather than toss it.

True dat

rjv 03-16-07 08:46 AM

bill miller brisket is great!! if you love rough, flavorless and chewy, fat filled meat.

coyotes_geek 03-16-07 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by To be named later (Post 1057486)
The chopped beef is delicious as hell.......but yeah, your better off eating out of the garbage, because the chooped beef is everything that should have been tossed in the trash, all the fat, all the charred skin, all the waste, some more fat, and any piece of meat that sat around under a heat lamp all day yesterday then got chopped up today rather than toss it.

Don't throw it out before draining off all the grease! It makes a perfectly good engine lubricant!

TexasNative 03-16-07 11:02 AM

The starter of this thread, a.k.a. me, would like to restate his claim that Bill Miller brisket wasn't bad as far as FAST FOOD goes. However, compared to Rudy's, Texas Pride, Bob's Smokehouse and pretty much anything any of us smoke in our own backyards.... Bill Miller's brisket sucks the big one.

coyotes_geek 03-16-07 11:16 AM

Lot's of good brisket to be found in Austin. Iron Works, Rudy's, County Line. Even Smokey Mo's isn't bad. Bone Daddy's is also a great place to go, but a trip there isn't necessarily about the brisket.......

joshtd1 03-16-07 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake (Post 1057572)
let me guess......you think Cici's makes a mighty fine pizza as well......better than what mom makes, and she's a darn good cook! (although you don't really like her pizza)?

am I close?

:lol

:richb id rather play 6.10 for a buffet and drink at cici's and get as much pizza as i want even tho it isnt that great, compared to ordering a pizza from pizza hut for like 15 bucks. PH's pizza is good, but they dont really have a variety for their buffet. the rest of the pizza places like papa johns and dominoes suck.

TexasNative 03-16-07 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DizzG (Post 1057643)
Grady's here in town isnt that great and its pretty fast....

Their catfish is the shizz. :rock

TexasPandaMama 03-16-07 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coyotes_geek (Post 1057656)
Lot's of good brisket to be found in Austin. Iron Works, Rudy's, County Line. Even Smokey Mo's isn't bad. Bone Daddy's is also a great place to go, but a trip there isn't necessarily about the brisket.......

OMG
Georgetown BBQ on University is the Shizzel!! Everything there is good, the brisket, the sausage, the chicken, the sauce is divine, peach cobbler and the tea!!

joshtd1 03-16-07 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake (Post 1057814)
hey man, I hear ya. I remember those days when I went for bang for buck over nutritional value and taste.
But 10-15 years from now, when that metabolism starts slowing down, you'll probably be changing your tune too......:laugh

I think my metabolism has already started slowing down:bs I need to get back into game shape so I can be on SAC's b-ball team

nanumanu 03-16-07 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DizzG (Post 1057643)
Grady's here in town isnt that great and its pretty fast (although no drive thru) but its even better than Bill Miller's

I work right down the street from the Bar-B-Q Station and its good

Eh, I used to work down the street from BBQ Station and I didn't think it was that great. I'd take Grady's over them any day. Anybody remember Casey's? I used to love that place.

Hairyhandedgent 03-16-07 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by To be named later (Post 1057820)
Its a miracle Bun and Barrel is still around.

They get a small lunch rush, a next-to-nothing dinner rush.....I'm surprised they stay in business.

But the owner is sitting on a gold mine lot. The lot is worth way more than the business. Austin Highway has popped in the last couple years......it used to be seedy but it is picking up.

Dude is sitting on a goldmine.

That's a shame ... when I was a kid that place was the best ...the ribs (dispell this image from your mind)

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/568...esribs2sj6.jpg

were unbelievable and the brisket was amongst the best I ever had ...what a shame, next time I'm in SA I gotta go see for myself

CRL 03-16-07 08:38 PM

As I understand, the head BBQ cook at Bun-N-Barrel back in the old days left and started his own BBQ "joint" on Vance Jackson, inside of Loop 410, called Town & Country BBQ. It was a real hole in the wall, but the food was fantastic. I think he may have retired, and his kids opened a new location - same name - a few blocks from the old location. Haven't eaten there yet since it's not very convenient, but may want to give it a try.

Big Empty 03-17-07 02:02 PM

nothin beats grilling your own meat outside on a sunny day. thats the best BBQ

TexasNative 03-17-07 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Empty (Post 1058118)
nothin beats grilling your own meat outside on a sunny day.

I'm not saying anything about that.... :laugh

joshtd1 03-17-07 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasNative (Post 1058131)
I'm not saying anything about that.... :laugh

:laugh ..i didnt want to say anything about that either, but it sounds funny

Art Vandalay 03-17-07 04:51 PM

:laugh ^^^^yeah.

beating or grilling to each's own i guess, grilling sounds dangerous.

SoapScumKills 03-17-07 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Empty (Post 1058118)
nothin beats grilling your own meat outside on a sunny day. thats the best BBQ

Grilling isn't BBQ ;)

TexasNative 03-17-07 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoapScumKills (Post 1058231)
Grilling isn't BBQ ;)

True that.

Grilling = hot and fast.
Smoking (BBQ) = slow and smokey.

TexasNative 03-18-07 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by To be named later (Post 1058263)
Now let's discuss the Bill Miller BBQ sauce, the worst BBQ sauce in the BBQ World.

That is why we keep a bottle of this righteous stuff in the frige at all times....

http://www.hotshoppe.com/images/products/stubb_bbq.jpg

SAScrub 03-19-07 08:42 AM

Now, while I'm not a fan of Bill Miller in general, I do have to say that they might have the best chicken strips around.