News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 03-12-07, 03:31 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Mac commercials

i get it, the mac guy on the commercials is an artsy, common sense guy, the pc guy has a job but doens't always get to do the fun stuff.

where are the unix guys? what is linux guy like? aix guy? solaris guy?

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-12-07, 11:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McNulla View Post
i get it, the mac guy on the commercials is an artsy, common sense guy, the pc guy has a job but doens't always get to do the fun stuff.

where are the unix guys? what is linux guy like? aix guy? solaris guy?
They're all a lot like this guy.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-12-07, 11:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Mere words can't describe how much I hate these commercials.
But how else are Mac owners to feel smug and better than everyone?
Old 03-13-07, 12:14 AM
SpursReport Rookie

How about this one?

[youtube]qHO8l-Bd1O4[/youtube]
Old 03-13-07, 02:04 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleo View Post
But how else are Mac owners to feel smug and better than everyone?
Why wouldn't they? I mean, it's not as though you can put together a similar PC which runs practically every major OS out there (Windows XP / Vista, multiple Linux distributions, Solaris, all BSD variants -including FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD-, etc.) and Mac OS X at a fraction of the cost... right?
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"

Last edited by mg06; 03-13-07 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-13-07, 05:14 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnington View Post
I haven't any virus, not once, in my macs since I have them. They didn't crash, not once, since I have them, They didn't have any issues, anything, since I have them. Of course sometimes I have some issues with the memory, but that is my problem. I run heavy software, but didn't put more ram on them, not a Mac problem, but mine.

While, because I also own 3 PC's ( what the thieves couldn't took when they robbed me) and two of them were formatted twice this year, they had virus intrusions, HEY, right NOW, I was starting my desktop PC and the AV put a big red sign that I have a TROJAN GENERIC MF#%&/#, that is what I was saying, an I am not making up this. It was exactly while I was writing this.

So? I don't know how is your experience with PC and Macs, but I love my Macs and the PC's? I just have them because I need them.
The PC is a computer architecture, what you describe are software issues which are likely the result of inadequate setup / administration. Like I said, if you select your hardware carefully, you can run whatever OS you like on your PC (including Mac OS X) at a fraction of the cost. And I'm all for flexibility. As a matter of fact, I currently run ALL of the OSes I mentioned on my PC and I've yet to experience any sort of problem like those you describe.
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"
Old 03-13-07, 05:42 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
My Macs aren't Core duo, nor my Pc's. So I could not run different OS's in my machines
No need for a Core 2 Duo, you can put together a Celeron D based CPU that will run Mac OS X for as little as U$S 250. (for US readers: prices of computer equipment here in Argentina are significantly more expensive than they're in the US, so trust me when I tell you those are ridiculous prices for our market).
Quote:
I understand what you say, and I agree. If I could have what I have at a fraction of the price I would do it, but I don't want to be an expert, I want just to use my computers for work, leisure or gaming without having to know what you know. And with the Macs i do just that. No problems, no issues, nothing.
Me, I love flexibility, being able to do whatever it is that I want without having a given platform placing restrictions on me. You just want to use your computer without having to be bothered by peripheral technical stuff, and you can afford it. That's OK... different priorities, I guess.
Old 03-13-07, 06:29 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
And It would be great to know why my PC's are so vulnerable to crashes and virus, they are old and cheap, but still. I am a very careful user, so I don't know.
It's not your PCs that are so vulnerable by themselves, it's Windows. You won't hear the same security issues with other traditional PC OSes. There are several reasons for this, ranging from intrinsic design issues that are far beyond the scope of this thread, to its much more widespread use and nature. But that is a different topic altogether.

But anyway, as far as hardware goes, it was announced a while ago that from now on your Macs will be based on Intel as well, assembling the same hardware -well, not exactly, but close enough- and selling it with their own OS and applications under their brand. Thus, Macs will no longer be a different hardware platform altogether, so a carefully chosen Intel based CPU will be able to run the OS and applications, which are ultimately the real reason you love Macs so much.